Tonebone OD's which one is right for me?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by samdjr74, Mar 16, 2006.

1. samdjr74

samdjr74 Supporting Member

Hi All,

So I've been digging into the archives here and reading up on your comments with the tonebone pedals. But I haven't seen any real answers to the question I have. I just got my hands on a great amp, an older ampeg sb-12. I love the clean, simple sound it has but it lacks overdrive. I was at the store the other day, played a hole bunch of pedals except for the tonebones (my mistake) and walked out with a mudhoney. The mudhoney sounded great on the fender in the store but I just couldn't get the sound I was after with the ampeg. So the mudhoney is sold and now I'm after something else. What I need is a prett wide range from this amp from subtle blues to hard rock/metal. Nothing insane on the metal side, more like Sabbath and Iron Maiden. Which tonebone will give me the widest range as far as distortion but still remain controlable? The other question is, should I consider another brand to look at too?

Thanks,
    Sam

2. eric-d

eric-d Member

Well that depends if you are after American distortion (Fenderish) or a British Distortion (Marshallish). I have the Classic, which sounds great with my Paul & Tele, I really don't care for it with my Strat. I've never tried the Hot British, So I couldn't tell ya! The footswitch is a bit dodgy... It sometimes has a mind of it's own.

3. einstein

einstein Member

classic sounds really smooth never tried the british, heard to much good about the classic, i would never sell it, i have had it a long time.

4. JES1680

JES1680 Silver Supporting Member

I have the Hot British. Its the closest Marshall in a box I've found. It works best through a clean amp. It has tons of gain. I usually run mine with the gain almost off for humbuckers which gets me about the same as my Marshall JMP with the preamp maxed. I never use the gain more than halfway up. Thats enough to do 80's-90's Metal with a clean amp. It has the best tight low end crunch (like a good Marshall) that I've never heard / felt in another pedal.

5. jlagrassa

jlagrassa Supporting Member

I would check out the TB Classic, its very versatile and will play a lot of styles of music. I've had all 3 tonebone pedals and out of the 3 the Classic was the best!

Just remember that tonebones are meant to be played into clean amps!

6. samdjr74

Thanks for the info guys. Now I just need to find a shop with a couple different models to test lol

7. Sean Doty

Sean Doty Member

I've owned both (which I know doesn't make me an expert) but for Iron Maiden, I'd have to recommend the Hot British. However, as with everything effects related, it ultimately depends on the rest of your gear and your ears.

8. quackattack

quackattack Member

9. quackattack

quackattack Member

10. quackattack

quackattack Member

I've had both on my pedalboard for a month long A/B.

The Hot British stayed........The classic, though a nice pedal, did not cover offer anything better than what could be had w/ my Fulltone OCD [which has a much smaller footprint].

The HB sounds very Marshall-esque with my strat, LP and Johnny A through a Matchless Chieftain.

Like JES1680, I run the gain almost off w/ humbuckers and at 9 o"clock w/ single coils.

It yields great Page/Hendrix type tone.

I've never had the gain over 1 o'clock, [which is the point of insanity]. The tonal diversity using this pedal's various knobs,filters and boosts is dramatic.

11. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

I own the HB which I use into the clean channel on my solid state marshall avt.

The HB is an amazing pedal. However, it ONLY does high gain. I have the gain on 10:00, and it still more than holds its own against my bandmates mesa dual recto. I use a TC Jauernig DGTM for low gain/bluesy stuff.

For versatility, the Classic is a great pedal. Does a great high-gain as well. If I were you, I'd go with either two pedals (like the HB and a TS type pedal) or the Classic.

12. Digitalman

Digitalman Member

I had the HotBritish and my friend had a Classic. After hearing the Classic I took my HotBritish in and swapped it. The HB has just too much gain in it - no matter what I did, I couldn't clean it up. It was almost to the point of sounding like fuzz. I found the Classic to be more natural and flexible and I still use it.

13. Mullet Kingdom

Mullet Kingdom Senior Member

I've got the TB Classic; and use it mostly for a big crunch sound -- which it gets very well.

Is it the pedal you're looking for? Couldn't tell you. However, what you need to do is bring you rig (guitar, amp & cables) to the store and audition the Classic and the Hot British through your set-up.

You can read other people opinions on this stuff until your eyes dry out, but you'll learn more in five seconds actually trying the stuff than you will reading about it on the internet.

14. p.snail

p.snail Supporting Member

I would vote for the either the TriMode or the Classic. The British sounds awesome but has a ton of gain and compression. The Classic to my ear was more open and had better harmonics. Plus it behaved more like a pushed tube amp to me. The TriMode is basically two Classics in one box. One for light gain and for heavier. Every ToneBone pedal is awesome. I've never played one that didn't sound good. So if you can answer one simple question you'll know which one is right. Do want British or American OD tone? That's pretty much as simple as it gets. They do both extremely well.

15. samdjr74

Well I went out and got the HB, I'm still playing with the settings but so far so good, I like it much more then the mudhoney. I understand what some of you were saying about having too much gain, right now I'm looking for that sweet spot. I got some great hendrix tones from it the other day and I also went the other way with some hard core sounds, very verstile pedal

16. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

it's an excellent pedal. Just because it only does high-gain, doesn't mean it's not versatile!
    If you keep it, you may want to look investing into another pedal for lower-gain/OD type stuff

17. billv

billv Member

I own the Classic and recently bought both the HB and the Trimode to compare. Kept them for a month and quickly ruled out the Trimode. It was harsh and less musical sounding than the Classic and the HB. The HB almost made it, but I kept coming back to the Classic, in that you can clean it up by rolling down the volume control on the guitar. Doesn' work so well with the HB. So the Trimode and the HB went back from whence they came.

The other thing to note about the Classic is that you can improve the tone by replacing the stock tube. I tend to favor the old GE 12Ax7s, in that they bring the Classic a little closer to the HB's tone. Sylvanias sound great too.