Tonebone Trimode or Barber Dual Unlimited

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Benjam226, Feb 7, 2012.

1. Benjam226

Benjam226 Member

I have been GAS-ing for awhile now on two of my favorite pedal makers. For those of you that know me, the only two pedals I will not get rid of are my Tonebone Hot British and my Barber LTD. For my sound and to my ears, they are the sweet spot for high-gain (Hot British) and low-gain (LTD.)

I've been on a quest for a good medium gain, and the Tonebone Trimode has been on my list for awhile. From what I've heard, it's either a "love it" or "hate it" pedal. The size of the pedal is an issue, since I've just downsized my board to a PT-Jr. Plus powering the Tonebones on 15v has never been my favorite thing, but an extra wall wart is something I live with for good tone.

I've also recently come across the limited runs of the Barber Dual UnLTD, which sounds amazing. Much smaller than the Trimode, and runs on either 9 or 18v, so my PP2 will be happy.

Has anyone used both of these (or one) and can give me any feedback about their use as a mid-gain solution?

2. whackystrings

whackystrings Member

What I found with the Tonebone Classic was I didn't like it with a tube amp...it imparted too much personality that I had to work hard to dial out of it. And when I did make it sufficiently "amp friendly" I felt that any decent overdrive pedal could pretty much do the same job (eg. TS808). From my experience with Barber effects, ones like the LTD and UnLTD don't sabotage the amp's characteristics...it just adds to it. OTOH, I would definitely choose a Tonebone unit over the LTD/UnLTD if using a SS amp.

YMMV

3. Benjam226

Benjam226 Member

My main amp is a Fender HRD but I also use an AC30 on occasion. My Hot British definitely takes over in the tone area when it's on so I see what your saying. But its not a bad thing, the HB makes my Fender sound like a Marshall which is the whole point :D

I ended up getting the dual UnLTD. On its way now!!

4. nealh999

nealh999 Member

Just got a Dual Unlimited and totally love it. I have yet to adjust the internal trims, but just running a Strat into a high-powered Champ clone, it totally rules. I had a Hot British but can't speak to the Trimode. The Dual is simply great. Quiet, transparent, versatile and will do the medium gain thing very well. It can drive the front end, and I was surprised to find that it does low gain really well. Thumbs up from a 20+ year player!