1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

ToneCore Love Hate

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by JohnLutz, Sep 15, 2005.

1. JohnLutz

JohnLutz Supporting Member

Does anyone know if Line 6 is doing anything to make the ToneCore pedals usable? I've had three and sold all of them.

They were all very nice and I really wanted to keep them but they all sucked tone when off and caused nasty unusable buzz in some environments (with a PedalPower II).

Last time I was at Guitar Center, the Tone Core display was just a wall of buzzing. Completely unusable.

It would be cool if they could improve the basic implementation of these pedals.

John

2. Mastervolume

Mastervolume Member

I agree.

They are in need of a WAY HUGE improvement if you ask me.

3. TheGrooveking

TheGrooveking Member

An Alternate Reality in a Parallel Universe...
    I have all of the original six pedals and a few doubles of my favs and none have given me any issue with noise. I have powered them with a Voodoo Lab Pedal Power, Line 6 power supply or a BOSS PSA-1, no problems. Are you playing single coil pickups? Flourescent lights? I don't know, maybe I am just lucky I guess. I am patiently, okay, I won't lie, I am not waiting patiently for the new Tone Core pedals.

TheGrooveking

4. telemonk

telemonk Member

I really wanted to love the Echo Park for it's size and versatility. It wasn't noisy; the problem I have is:

1-I hate the switch. The tap tempo is a real pain to get while playing.

2-Even if it was more user friendly for me with the switch I think the Boss DD-20 kicks it's ass sonically. I wanted the Echo Park to economize real estate but no way.

5. stevieray

stevieray Member

I can't stand any of them because they're so unnecessarily heavy!!!

6. JohnLutz

JohnLutz Supporting Member

I was using mine with humbuckers. In my studio, they worked pretty well noise-wise. But take them out into different environments and it was a gamble. Sometimes really noisy and sometimes ok.

7. Mastervolume

Mastervolume Member

how about a subdivision switch for the taptempo trem? trying to tap 8ths at 120 bpm with that foot switch is a joke.

while you are at it how about a seperate tap output so guys like me can have them off the board and next to my right foot.

8. ABKB

ABKB Member

I am boycotting all Line 6 after my Dl-4 up and died on me. Lol, I am sure they are scared over that last statement :rolleyes: Anyway, I have never used the tonecore stuff (and never will) but I have heard of the same problems you have had, add the reliability factor in and I just wont buy thier stuff period. I have been much happier with the Boss DD-20. All Line 6 stuff is finicky about the power supplies and it sounds like yours are picking stuff up based on the environment. Sell em, there's better stuff out there.

As to will they improve thier stuff? Not as long as people keep buying em.

9. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

I feel like a broken record about the EchoPark...

Some of the concerns here are valid. It is heavy and some people have had noise issues with them. BUT, to me... if you combine its size, versatility and it's tone, it's the best delay out there. I've also never had any noise problems with it. Also, the tone is WAY BETTER than the DL4. I love it!

Sorry some of you guy's don't dig'em...

10. ABKB

ABKB Member

I can totally respect that. It was just for me, after spending $250 on a Dl-4 pedal, I expect it to last longer than some of my $30 Dano pedals, it didnt. It had some killer sounds (and I am sure some great sounds are in the Echo Park) and the Tap tempo was good, but the Dl-4 was just VERY poorly made. It was a disaster waiting to happen. When I needed a new delay, there was no way I was going to hand over another $150 to Line-6 with the Echo Park with it's poor tap tempo design, plus if they did a poor job on a $250 pedal, it didnt inspire confidence in me on the $150 thingy. Add some very iffy support to the mix and I just wont touch em anymore.

All of this is IMHO of course, and I know lots of pros use both the Dl-4 and the Echo Park. I just think most of those pros will eventually regret it. My DD-20 gives me 85% of what I had in the Dl-4 sound wise, without the worry or volume dips, it uses less space on my board and costs less than the Dl-4, and only $20 more than the Echo Park, with much better Tap tempo and 4 presets.

11. agentcooper2001

agentcooper2001 Member

+1

12. drolling

drolling Member

Its very interesting that people's opinions on Line6 are always so polarized. It does seem that there's no middle ground here. As the thread title would indicate, players either love them or hate them.

Myself, I'd rather have an entire board of those little plastic Dano mini pedals than the very best that Line6 has to offer. At least Danelectro's honest enough to market their stuff as cheap toys for kids rather than as 'pro' gear for serious musicians.

13. ABKB

ABKB Member

Lol, +1 drolling, +1!

I tried a couple of the m mini pedals, and let me tell ya, a couple of em were pretty cool. I actaully LOVE the tremelo. The phaser was ok at best. The rest are just toys. As is the case with Dano, you have to find the diamond in the rough sorta speak. But your right in at least Dano isnt trying to pretend to be something they are not.

I am really angry at Line 6 for making products that dont last, and charging top doller for em as well. If ya want to make crap, then dont charge me for it. If ya want to charge me for it, it had BETTER last and it had BETTER be good. And Line 6 just doesnt hold up.

14. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

I guess I just like to gig with "toys".

There just isn't a pedal the size of the Echopark, with it's features/and sound. That's the deal!! If it existed, I'd have it.

Is this the *hate'em cause they're the big guy's*? Like hating Walmart and Guitar Center???

15. ABKB

ABKB Member

I wouldnt call the Echo Park a toy. A Dano is a toy, a cool toy sometimes though :D As I said before, I totally respect you opinion. The EP does do a lot of cool stuff.

And no, I dont hate em cuz they are big in size (though some do) or because they are a big company. If any company built a pedal knowing it wouldnt last (in my case the DL4) and charged top dollar for it, they would no longer have my business simple as that. Would not matter to me if they improved it later on or not. I think Line 6 shnookered a lot of musicians with the DL4 and that whole series of pedals.

16. oxtone

oxtone Member

I have a Tone Core Echo Park, and so far it's worked very well. It took awhile to get used to the goofy pedal switch, but now it's a breeze. It's a compact pedal, and heavy, but I don't care. I haul allot of gear to gigs that's allot heavier. The E.P. sounds very good, and I find it boosts my signal a bit when I engage it. However, I kind of like that about it now.

I also use a Boss DD-20 Giga Delay - I bought one when they first came out. It sounds great, and is versatile with the four patches you can set. I also use a Boss momentary switch to tap the tempo - it's much easier that way instead of using the second pedal on the DD-20.

17. al carmichael

al carmichael Member

I just bought an Echo Park and I am considering taking it back and exchanging it for a Giga Delay. I like the Echo Park, but--it does add some hiss to the signal chain and, mostly, many reviews of Line6 pedals dying or malfunctioning have me concerned about the life of this pedal. I've never seen a Boss pedal die--ever.

On to my question. For those of you who have tried both, or one or the other, does the Giga Delay sound as good? Is it quiet? I know its twice the size (bummer) but I need something I can count on.

Frankly, all the special effects in the Echo Park are kind of a waste for me. They might be useful for a special effect in a recording, but I'm looking for a solid delay that can emulate analog and tape style echoes and that will last. I don't care for the EP "modulation" and I really don't need the other features. The Giga delay has four presets too--as much as I would ever use. Its just so damn BIG!

Mainly, its a sound quality thing for me. If the Echo Park sounds better, I might take my chances. If they are of equal quality, I think Id like to make the exchange. Of the two, which is the better unit based on sound quality?

18. Curt

Curt Member

There a lot of truth to your statement. If you could walk into a Walmart or Guitar Center, and buy a brand new Zendrive, Eternity or Sunface, all three would loose their appeal overnight.

19. GtrWiz

GtrWiz Member

I've had my DL-4 for about 4 years, 2 of those years were on the road, and I've never had one bit of trouble with it. I'm about to send it off to Keeley for his mods. I don't really know if it needs it, I'm more curious than anything...
    I also just got a Liqua-Flange it's my first Tonecore pedal, the thing sounds great! No buzz, or unwanted noise, the tap switch is a little tricky though...

20. drolling

drolling Member

If you had an opportunity to play these pedals you'd realize that what you've just said is nothing more than large, succulent slices of baloney.

I believe even Aaron would be in agreement with me.