ToneCore noise solution?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by onehandfretting, Aug 3, 2005.

1. onehandfretting

onehandfretting Member

Ok. So I got a Line 6 ToneCore Tap Tremolo. I put it in the effects loop of my Loooper (other loop is for my drive pedals), hooked it up to my PowerAll and it was working fine at home (bedroom volume through my old hybrid Crate combo). I didn't experience any of the noise i had read about so I thought that the "transformerless" construction of the PowerAll was doing the trick.

BUT... When I get it to rehersal and run it at performance level through my BiValve, there is a horrible (and I mean bad) line noise whenever I have the drive loop engaged. Even if the other loop (true bypass, of course) is off. it's a constant buzzing with a slight tick in time with the trem's LED.

I was reading today on the commonsound forum about solutions for a similar problem that the Tremulus Lune has (I've never played through one, so I don't know how similar this problem really is).

Anyway, since we know that the noise is due to the shared power supply, I was wondering if one of the solutions offered for the Tremulus might do the trick for the Tap Tremolo (and other TonCore pedals): solder a 100 uF capacitor across the power supply rails.

I know that the Tremulus is an analog device and the ToneCores are all digital, which may make this sort of fix imposible, dangerous or just plain stupid. So I'd like to get some feedback from folks much more knowledable than I am on this sort of stuff before I go and fry my pedal.

Altenatively, might there be some inline way to isolate/filter the PowerAll connection to the Tap Tremolo?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Bobby

2. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

what kind of power supply do you have? My Echopark requirs it's own power supply or to be used with my Pedal Power.

3. stinkfoot

stinkfoot Member

Digital pedals, as well as some clock-based analog ones, will sometimes have problems with transformerless switching type adapters. Apparently it has something to do with the adapter's switching/ripple frequency clashing with the converters in the pedal. It will show up as a high pitched whining noise, which may or may not change in pitch when you alter the "time" knob on the pedal (in this case the speed knob, I'd assume). Add to that the fact that the Tonecore series has a notorious rep for being noisy when daisy-chained, I think you might have to give it its own dedicated power supply. Try it briefly with a battery, just to check - if the noise disappears, you've definitely found the problem.

/Andreas

4. Don Rusk

Don Rusk Gold Supporting Member

Yeah Ive had this happen with other trems and noticed that its worse when with trubypass pedals - and having a couple of buffered pedals will kill the ticking.....

5. onehandfretting

onehandfretting Member

So I guess I'm pretty much stuck using a secong poer supply or getting a Pedal Power... :(

6. indytone

indytone Member

Yup.

I picked up a Line 6 Tap Tremolo and had it daisy chained with my Furman pedal board and got the well-known hellacious noise. I tried a battery (brand new) and it was quiet as a mouse, but it ate up the battery after 25 minutes. Looks like I'll have to get a power supply for it.

7. Yek

Yek Member

There are long threads concerning the noise with the Echopark.

The hiss remained even when using a dedicated power supply.

Many people had no problems, but quite a lot did. Some problems were solved using power alternatives. But some tried a number of replacements and other power solutions but could not get rid of the noise.

Finally, it seemed like the Echopark (and other Tonecore pedals) have issues with certain amps, vintage ones. Line 6 were able to reproduce the problem, said they were working on a solution, but nothing has been heard since.....

8. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

Funny thing is, one of the guy's that helped design them, his pedals go for *WAY HUGE* prices on the used market...

;)

9. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

I think if he had his way, they'd have WAY upgraded op-amps and ADA convertors, resulting in amuch quieter pedal at 3 times the price:rolleyes: :D

10. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

Hey DonneR:
    Any update on the EP noise front? You were hinting around a Line 6 fix, or a new version, or something else a few weeks back.

Whaddaya know?

11. Glowing Tubes

Glowing Tubes Gold Supporting Member

I had the echo park and the tap trem.
    They both were just too noisy. Tried them with seperate power supplies (a pain in the butt) Still way too noisy.. Got rid of them.

RC

12. indytone

indytone Member

Yeah. My Tap Trem is fine with its own power supply, but I'm still going to return it. I think I'll just save up for one of the Cusak ones.

13. Don Rusk

The fix exists - the avenue to unleash that beast does not -- yet;)

14. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

DonneR,

Please be a little more vague.:D

Any estimate on arival? Is this a L6 thing or a aftermarket "mod" think?

15. Don Rusk

its a line 6 fix - they havent decide how to handle it

16. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

Thanks DonneR.

I honestly think the EP (without the noise in front of my vintage amps) is one of the best digital delays around. I had no problem with the form factor, it had a wonderful feature set, and if I could get past the freak'in noise, it seemed to have a great digital-clear repeat and a realistic analog-warm repeat. Plus enough delay time to be a great compliment to my beloved DMM.

If fixed, I'd buy one again in a heartbeat.

???Do you hear that Line6???

17. Seegs

Seegs Member

Things that make you go hmmmmmmm....

Makes me wonder didn't they test the pedals before releasing them...and if so didn't they hear the noise and if they heard it why didn't that get fixed before they released them??

I think I'll wait awhile on these!!

Chow,
    Seegs

18. stringbender

stringbender Guest

For what it's worth, I have an Echo Park and a Space Chorus, and both are dead silent.

19. indytone

indytone Member

What kind of amp, and how do you have the pedals powered?

20. Ryan

Ryan Member

My tap tremolo was noisy. I dumped it. I'm jonesing for the roto-machine, but I don't want to deal with the noise.