Tonefactor Hellbilly tell me about it

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Strat58, May 1, 2008.

1. Strat58

Strat58 Member

Hi there is someone who sell's it here in Holland, but I can't find soundsamples on the internet. Is it a Fuzz or a treble boost ?
    Peace Strat58

2. mprvise

mprvise Member

It is kind of both, with a bit more going on as well. They are not made/sold anymore. I used to own one and gave it to one of my favorite players (and bandmate) after he tried and loved it. Now at least two other guys in town have them as well. It's my understanding that there are roughly 135 of them out there.

Charmless likes this.
  3. Don Rusk

Don Rusk Biggus Bearfootus Vendor

its a mini McFuzz ~ www.PedalworX.com that was made for Tone Factor by Bob McBroom ....

Bob is starting to build again and you should see something similar available again soon....

4. jimfog

jimfog Senior Member

George mentioned that months ago......have you seen any evidence of it?

I hope it's true!

5. Strat58

Strat58 Member

Hi well its a Donner box as stated in the advert, its orange red with flames he says, also he as asking 200 euro for it. Hmm I find this a bit steep, I have searched for soundfiles on the net but haven't find anything.
    Do you have a sound sample of it ? I find it hard to buy something only on reviews.
    Peace Strat58

6. mprvise

mprvise Member

I had heard this several months ago as well, but didn't want to mention anything knowing how things tend to get "reprioritized" by builders. Hope it becomes reality!

7. bloodlemons

bloodlemons Member

I don't know how closely the circuits are related, but Brad over at Tone Factor said recently that the newly released Huckleberry V.2 will cover all of the Hellbilly's territory, and then some.

I am simply repeating what I read, so please forgive me if this is in any way inaccurate.

8. zenfreud

zenfreud Member

I spoke to Bob about two weeks ago and he did indeed say there were plans on releasing an updated Hellbilly. I don't know what, if any, changes he was referring to, just passing along the info.

He was pretty jazzed about recently finding a trove of NOS transistors, I believe he said they were LM308's. He said that they'd be great for another pedal he's planning, maybe he'll see this thread and chime in.

9. carltonh

carltonh Member

I've had a Hellbilly for a while and did test the Huckleberry V.2 and can confirm that this new Huckleberry is now able to sound very much like the Hellbilly.

I also have a Throbak ODB and it and the Hellbilly cover most of the same sounds, but the Throbak has a more flat midrange response and the Hellbilly has a little midhump. The ODB can do a better clean boost than the Hellbilly, but the Hellbilly can get much more like a Fuzz Face than the ODB does. Both stay on my board. Both can also get pretty close to a Lovepedal COT 50.

10. Strat58

Strat58 Member

HI were can I find some sound samples ?
    I have searches the whole net :(
    Peace Strat58

11. Don Rusk

Yeah I only made 6 of those flame boxes....

I think they are working on a myspace page too

www.myspace.com/pedalworx who knows what will actually happen, worth following tho, I always thought Bob was one of the best ....

12. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

I've held onto a Donnerbox version of the HellBilly for a few years now. Both Brad and Bob indicated that it's the McFuzz in a smaller enclosure, so I believe them, but I have never bonded with the HB and a McFuzz I bought from Bob years back was the best fuzz I've ever heard (I want it back!!). I've never figured this out!

I hold onto the HB b/c my son who is also a player absolutely loves Donner's paint job (it's one of six) and I promised I'd never sell it.

I have gone back to it a number of times to give it another go. Once I thought I "had it" and I posted my settings here, but over time, it just didn't do it for me.

Some players absolutely swear by the HB for fuzz, distortion and for clean boost. I guess I am the Lone Ranger on this one.

13. Don Rusk

Yeah Id agree - Ive had a few McFuzzes and still have the preMcFuzz McFuzz Beelzefuzz, and the Hellbilly sounds more focused and less saturated .....

but also like you said I was trying it again Yesterday and it sounds amazing for some reason,,,, I think part may be different speakers Im using - I think like many fuzzes it works better on something with some mids like Greenbacks, maybe the partial germanium content , dont know....

but yes I will be interested in an actual mini McFuzz :BEER

Charmless likes this.
  14. Strat58

Strat58 Member

Hi could you provide me to a link to the Hellbilly ? Btw I play with a Marshall Bluesbreaker and Fender Super Reverb combo's is this a good match. Well I can buy it now for 190 euro thinking about it :) a lot of money for something I haven't heard yet. Thxx you
    Peace Strat58

15. musickbox

musickbox Supporting Member

is the mini McFuzz the same as the Hellbaby?

16. Don Rusk

No I think the baby was a booster, maybe a McBoost or Rangemsterish thingy....

Charmless likes this.
  17. Charmless

Charmless Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

Danville, CA. Always looking for Carlsbro amps!
    Can I just say that Hellbillys and McFuzzes rule? :)

Don Rusk likes this.