tonefactor huckleberry fuzz

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Kaiser, Jul 27, 2006.

1. Kaiser

Kaiser Member

What's the take on this pedal, it seem ambitious enough combining two circuits, big muff and fuzz face.

2. thebot

thebot Member

I have it and love it. It's a very usable fuzz, nice tonal range. I just had mine cranked ten minutes ago! Not for out of this world sounds, but then there's other things for that.

3. himey77

himey77 Member

You would typically get a response, "DO A SEARCH!!!" :MMM
    (http://www.thegearpage.net/board/search.php?searchid=565889)

But in all fairness, there has never been a SPECIFIC topic regarding the Huckleberry. Alot of TGP members just get bored with the same topics over and over. (i.e. - Question: What Fuzz Should I get? Typical Answer: It's subjective. Try out a bunch with your rig and see what's best for you.) Isn't the point of this discussion board to talk about gear? If I were not at work, I would be at home playing my guitar instead of "talking" about it. Also, I would rather get the opinions of...ahem... "educated" users before I plop down $300 bucks on a hype machine just to find out that I've wasted my money.

Sorry for the rant.... onto the original topic:

I received my Huckleberry on Monday, 7/24/06 (Thanks gkelm)
    I plugged it into my Blues Jr. and used my PRS McCarty and I've also tried it with my Marshall JCM2000 TSL 100. The first thing I noticed was that it is very versatile and tweakable. You can get a lot of different shades of fuzz/distortion with the Gain and EQ knobs. The tone controls are very interactive. The Blues Jr. cannot handle alot of bass, therefore, I wasn't getting the meaty lowend that I had through my Marshall. I tried using it stacked with my Bad Monkey (no other choice at the moment) and it yielded not thing but mud before and after. I set the Blues Jr. to clean and also used the Master Volume to give it some power tube breakup. I'll have to report back later with further review, because I'm still tweaking it.

I used the Huckleberry at rehearsal through the clean channel of my Marshall and every single band member looked at me at the same time and said, "Smashing Pumpkins". I've read alot about people trying to cop the Siamese Dream tone and, I kid you not, through my amp and guitar, it was almost identical. (I'll try posting clips) I never read the Huckleberry being mentioned in relation to the Smashing Pumpkins tone before, but this was my experience.

But, with my Marshall and the Huckleberry, my volume knob behaved in a VERY unacceptable manner. I turned the volume knob to 8 and it was like I stepped on a tuner mute. My guitar became almost inaudible. Even the SLIGHTEST turn of the volume knob drastically altered the output. I cannot stress this enough. I turned my volume knob a tiny, tiny amount and the fuzz became unusable. I'm still looking into this because it did not happen with my Fender. Any other Huckleberry owners have this problem?

To be honest this is my first fuzz and I've always heard that they are tricky little suckers. I'm still working with mine to see what I can get it to do and if it will become part of my sound.

4. b_rad

b_rad Member

I'd be real interested to hear how the volume issue works out. If it's doing that with one amp and not another it's very possibly just a compatability issue. If you have the same probablem on more than one amp, I would say there's definitely a bigger problem, although probably an easy fix like a pot. Keep me posted, on this and if you feel like there's something wrong with the pedal feel free to let me know. I would be glad to have it checked out and/or fixed @ no charge.

5. himey77

himey77 Member

I appreciate that. I definitely want to do some more "investigating" before I start to blame it on the pedal.

6. b_rad

b_rad Member

That's cool. Just let me know if I can be of assistance. :AOK

Charmless likes this.
  7. gururyan

gururyan Member

I have a Huck, I use it for vintage D+ to Muff tones. It really is like having 2 or 3 pedals in one. The EQ knob should be renamed to "Pedal Selector". :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

8. ausguitarman

ausguitarman Member

I've said it before and I'll say it again. "Best $119.00 I've ever spent".

Guru said it's like having 2 or 3 pedals in one and he's right. The Huck knocked a Sunface and a Fuzz Head off my board.

I've found my sweet spot and just control the fuzz with the guitar volume now. :dude

9. gapple88

gapple88 Member

I like it. Value for money, simple to tweak and versatile. :RoCkIn

10. thebot

thebot Member

ausguitarman is right, it's very controllable with guitar volume. I was having fun last night with the Les Paul, setting neck pickup to low volume and bridge cranked. By using the pickup switch I could get a clean and dirty channel very easily, great for the clean verse / loud chorus dynamics I was working last night (Spiritualized's Medication for those that know it)!

11. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

I think I'm getting by just fine w/ fuzzy sounds with the Hellbilly, but if I ever need more, I'll pick one of these up... I have a small tone factor army on my boards...

12. nlopez

nlopez Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

Can anyone compare it to a McFuzz?

13. carltonh

carltonh Member

Are there any sound samples at low gain?

14. himey77

himey77 Member

I'll be glad to post some when I get mine back, but it might be a while.

15. Kaiser

Kaiser Member

16. carltonh

carltonh Member

Did they discontinue the Hellbilly because the Huckleberry covered the same ground, or are they rather different?

17. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

They are similar in design, but here's the main difference:

The Hellbilly sounds like a Fuzz Face with the tone knob all the way to the left and a Rangemaster Treble booster with it all the way to right.

The Huckleberry sounds like a Fuzz Face with the tone knob all the way in one direction and a Big Muff Pi with it in the other direction... I guess it might not be as much of a tone knob, I know on the Hellbilly the Fuzz Face is bassy and the Rangemaster is trebly, not sure how the approximations of the Fuzz Face and Big Muff Pi directly compare as far as treble and bass differences.

The other thing I'm not sure about is the transistor types. The Hellbilly has a germanium transistor for the input stage and a silicon transistor to "balance" or "stabilize" the output, so it's a hybrid design. I would imagine the Huckleberry is similar, but you might want to PM UnkleSlam (Brad from ToneFactor), check http://www.tonefactor.com or email him with the address on the website. He's a really cool guy to work with, I have 3 ToneFactor pedals that Bob McBroom made (he made the Hellbilly, Hellbaby and Squeeze Factor, but the Huckleberry was released after they parted company...). Brad is a very cool guy, as is Bob.

FatBack has some demos of the Huckleberry on his Google video page, search for his videos on the posts here to find a link.

18. b_rad

b_rad Member

They're pretty different. The Huckleberry didn't have anything to do with the discontinuation of the Hellbilly.

I often say they're different animals grazing in the same field. It's the same basic idea, but different result, sonically. Both have hybrid transistor sets, but the Germ in the Huck is way hotter than what was in the Hellbilly. The Hellbilly had a little more sizzle on the top end,but was tamer overall (as to the amount of gain). The Huck is a little gnarlier, but it still cleans up well. The tone stack on the Huck is more drastic than the HB. It's pretty much a straight up Big Muff tone stack mated with a Fuzz Face circuit. The results, IMO, are very cool, but admittedly not for everyone (just like any other fuzz pedal).

Both pedals are really great, and they're different enough that there's not a huge amount of overlap. I know folks who actually have both on their board.

19. EXP

EXP Supporting Member

[​IMG]

'' Im your Huckleberry. '' :D

im GASing for a Huck bad.

20. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

I might pick one up... seems like it would be good for fuzz face to big muff for everything from Hendrix to Gilmour sounds....
    It'll be like a ToneFactor Sunlion setup if I run it before my Hellbilly set to a treble booster setting.

KR Fuzz Child is also a competitor, but I like the Huck's versatility and the general TF line, not to say that I would mind having a Fuzz Child, Sunface and/or Sunlion at some point in the future. I am gear-purchasing retarded, so if rent and bills are deceptively staggered to make the appearance of funds in my bank account, who knows what I might get...