1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Tonefactor Mobius...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by nashvillesteve, Jun 28, 2006.

1. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

Does anybody have one of these? Would putting the input and wet output of my Deluxe Memory Man in this loop allow me to stomp on the feedback button on the mobius and recreate what happens when I crank the feedback knob on the Deluxe Memory Man? That would be cool, and I love what happens when I do that... A stomp on/off would be nice, or a TIP 3rd Hand pedal (wouldn't we all like one of those for each of the delay time, feedback and modulation knobs on a delay, not to mention the rest of pedals...)

Seriously looks cool...

? anybody?

-Steve

2. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

Is the thumbs down really appropriate for this post??? VERY Misleading.

3. gururyan

gururyan Member

+1 for sure.

4. jdps150

jdps150 Member

+1 on the misleading thumbs down.

I build these for Brad, & believe that it will do exactly what you are asking. Once you find the sweetspot on the feedback knob you'll be set. As well as provide a true bypass loop. Especially useful if your MM is an older model.

Charmless likes this.
  5. b_rad

b_rad Member

Hi Steve,

Feedback loops are by nature kind of unpredictable, but I don't think you would have a problem getting the results that you're looking for, at all. And like Joe said, if you have an older model with bad bypass you have the added benefit of being able to take it out of your chain altogether. It's a lot of fun if you're willing to put a little time into and experiment. :AOK

6. indytone

indytone Member

I just got one of these last night coincidentally as a trade. I love it. I'm going to now try to find a way to add my Death By Audio TSA into the mix as well so I can see what having two feedback loopers will do. :)

I would say the build quality (aesthetic and functional) is excellent for this pedal. Small foot print is a major plus and the LED look really nice against the red box. A+

7. cheng&eng

cheng&eng Member

2 questions: regarding use w/dmm

1)if you have the feedback loop running and you turn off the feedback switch
    does it chop the trailing delay repeats or do they fade out naturally?

2) is the guitar signal actively in the loop as it repeats,or does it bypass it?
    in other words can you play uneffected on top of the repeats?

thanks

8. fatback

fatback Member

9. fatback

fatback Member

Definately not a BIG deal, but ceartainly misleading and a bit odd. Would I give a thumbs down to something I haven't tried and am asking questions about.... hmmm, no.

As a pesimistic attention getter, it does seems to be getting the job done though...

10. Charmless

Charmless Supporting Member

Danville, CA. Always looking for Carlsbro amps!
    +1. :Spank

11. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

Very, very sorry about the thumbs down... I just got to the computer and was like, "whoa! 11 responses? something is weird..." it honestly looked like a question mark to me when I posted this... Very sorry, I should get newer glasses. Apologies to everyone involved. I've got three tonefactor pedals, which is where I found this one (obviously). They are great and I have dealt with Brad on the phone before, extremely helpful and friendly, all that. Very sorry. I now see the blue "?" icon, but for some reason the thumbs down on my Mac Safari browser does not look like a thumbs down any more than a big orange/weird question mark. (someone was correct, this did happen once before when I was asking a question, apologies there as well). I am going to go ahead and try to make it a habit to leave icons out of all of my posts to avoid this. I usually make posts with the quick reply- no icon list, so the only time I see them is when I make a new post like this one, and bam! I'm an idiot.

Thank you for the info, I will have to pick one of these up at some point so I can get weird/crazy feedback sounds out of the deluxe memory man without getting on the floor to do so! Hope there are no hard feelings, I didn't mean to cause a stir...

12. b_rad

b_rad Member

It's all good, Steve. No harm, no foul. :)

13. fatback

fatback Member

Thanks for the edit/reply. Much appreciated. :AOK You wouldn't believe the number accidental keys, these big ol' digits of mine hit.

btw - that Moebius does look like a cool little box.

cheers.
    :YinYang

14. daphil_1

daphil_1 Member

I had a mobius II and could never actually get the feedback to work - it worked fine as a bypass though.

15. b_rad

b_rad Member

It's totally dependant on whatever is in the loop. Not saying that you didn't have a problem, but the Mobius doesn't really do anything in and of itself. Whatever's in the loop has to have enough output to feedback.

16. cheng&eng

cheng&eng Member

Is the mobius essentially a TB loop with & added feedback pot or is there something else to it?
    It would be cool if you could use it with a delay to create dub-like effects in real time- is it suited for that?

17. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

I think that is basically what I was originally asking... possibly.

I love cranking the feedback on my delay (not to mention playing lots with the delay time and chorus/vibrato controls). However, for a normal sounding delay, you leave the feedback set to the normal-sounding number of repeats or whatever. I was wondering if using the Mobius pedal, you could leave the delay's feedback normally set (or I guess just use a traditional sounding delay) and wiht the Mobius, set the feedback a bit higher so that when you stepped on the feedback, it was the same as cranking the feedback control so that the echoes feedback on themselves and get that crazy psychedelic/radiohead type sound of crazy delay feedback.

I think the responses said that this is a great way to use the pedal, I wish I could order it tomorrow (the ones that weren't about me accidentally using a thumbs down in place of a question mark- a fugly whoops, argg). I would really enjoy using the Mobius for that purpose. If I'm wrong, somebdoy sto(m)p me...

18. b_rad

b_rad Member

Sort of, yeah. It's primary function is as a feedback loop, but the switch on the right hand side can take the loop totally out of your chain. The switch on the left hand side turns the feedback on or off. In the off position it is a straight tb loop.

I'm not really familiar with dub, so I don't know what kind of sounds you're trying to create. Again experimenting is the key. Such a simple thing as putting a buffered pedal in the loop (even off) can change the dynamics of what comes out of it. There's really no way to know what will happen without having one in front of you.

What (I think) Steve is talking about is setting the DM to normal delay levels, and then setting the Mobius to cause oscillation when engaged. I've managed to do that with several different delays, so I'm pretty sure it would work out for what you're trying to do. Mild delay oscillation is one of my favorite uses.

One thing that always seems to throw people off, and myself for a long time, is that the feedback knob may not do anything until very high in the sweep and then it's balls out. The way feedback loops work is that they send the output of whatever pedal is in the loop back to the input of the same pedal causing it to feedback. The pedal won't feedback until a certain point, and then it's on. There is some amount of control with the knob, but it can be a little or a lot. Most modulations won't do much until the last quarter or so of the sweep. Some fuzz pedals will work on the entire sweep after you turn it up enough to get the feedback kicked in. I can't stress enough that it really is totally dependant on the other pedals.

19. cheng&eng

cheng&eng Member

By Dub effect- I mean the mixing technique of having a space echo or echoplex or some other echoing device isolated on a channel then momentarily routing a signal (usually a single rimshot or an upstroked chord) through that channel. the delay is usually set for near runaway repeats. the net effect is that the delay becomes a percussive instrument itself.i know the mobius cant do this per-se, but close enough for hand grenades?

but to get to my question: where is the guitar signal when the feedback loop begins? is it actively in the loop?is it outside the loop & uneffected or is it bypassed (off) altogether?

20. Creamy

Creamy Member

I have not tried the Mobius pedal. However, there is a small company in New Jersey called Barge Concepts that make a pedal that is a feedback/bypass looper (VFB-2).
    It has a bypass switch, a feedback switch, a clean blend, and a feedback blend.
    It’s a true bypass pedal. When engaged, all of the signal is directed through the pedal. The clean blend pot allows you to mix the wet and dry signal to your liking. The feedback blend pot, works just like UncleSlam described; it intensifies the peaks and troughs of your effected signal. On the VFB-2 pedal, the feedback effect will only work when signal not bypassed.
    With a delay pedal in loop, for example set to slap-back, you can dial in the feedback blend to make the echo repeat indefinitely and even self-oscillate. You can set your delay to one setting, and then make it repeat further when engaging the feedback loop with the footswitch.
    With a distortion of O/D, the feedback blend seems to have a slight compressing effect. And, it also makes the signal sound just slightly out of phase, if that makes sense. I don’t know how else to describe it, so I can’t say it’s actually out of phase. Feedback blend aside, running an O/D through the pedal with the clean blend on the dry signal side allows you to add a slight bit of grit to your clean signal.
    With a flange effect, because of how it emphasizes the peaks and troughs, your signal can sound like zero through flanging on one end of the sweep and like a jet is flying out your speaker, on the other.
    [FONT=&quot]Whether or not you like the effect of the feedback loop is just personal preference. It is real simple pedal that, with the feedback loop, basically doubles the possible settings you’ve dialed in on your pedals in the loop. [/FONT]