Toneful players opinions on Strymon Flint?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by WarBeer, Apr 26, 2015.

1. WarBeer

WarBeer Member

I've been considering the Strymon Flint....but I'm very nervous. My concerns are "going digital" and going with a "electromechanical relay switching bypass".
    I'm the kind of player that uses very little gain, plays very clean, focuses on bending and vibrato.(and all their nuances). I'm the kind of guy that buys pedals (effects)...plays with them for a few minutes..and then turns them off because I dislike how they besmirch the great tone that's in my own hands. This being said...I do love some vintage sounds and certainly believe that effects used judiciously and at the right time, can sound wonderful;)

So, to any player(s) that have a similar perspective...what do you think about the Flint...and maybe Strymon effects in general? I'm using a TINY board, so "space efficiency" is another reason I'm considering the Flint.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2015
  2. TheoDog

TheoDog Silver Supporting Member

Flint is a solid unit.
    It is especially effective in a small setup.

[​IMG]

NHBluesMan likes this.
  3. Transmisser

Transmisser Member

I've personally never had an issue with the bypass "sucking" my tone and I own the 3 multis and previously had the Flint and Bluesky. I know there are other people on here that feel otherwise. Either way, I wish I never sold my Flint because I got it for $100.

I thought the Flint was inspiring though, IMO. I say give it a shot.

4. scolfax

scolfax Member

Flint sounds great and is really flexible. Go for it.

5. Voodoo Blues

Voodoo Blues Member

I got a Flint 2-3 weeks ago and love it, so much so that the reverb on my two Fender amps are set to zero and I rely on the Flint for my basic spring reverb. I got the favorite switch with it so that I can change between the basin spring reverb/trem and whatever reverb I need for a specific song.

6. vrdl87

vrdl87 Member

[​IMG]

I would put myself in the same category: interested in pedals, but a lot of the time tempted going straight into the amp. I'm playing direct into my Princeton as we speak, but I like being able to tweak and experiment a little, when I find myself walking the same path over and over again. Still, with or without effects, I'm picky about the tone. I got my first Flint a year ago, and loved it from the first second. Later that year I went and bought a PRRI-amp, and thought that I would not ned the Flint any longer. Sold it. Missed the trem so much that I recently had to buy my second one. The reverb is not as rich as in the amp, but I can get pretty close, still keeping the tone intact :) YMMV. Good luck! :)

7. the tourist

the tourist Member

Use your hands to make the reverb and tremolo if you dislike pedals. Good luck!

Ev O))) and NHBluesMan like this.
  8. deadletteroffice

deadletteroffice Member

Use your hands to make reverb and tremolo? I'll pretend that's meant to be a joke, but it's hard telling around here.

I've tried a few of the Strymon offerings and never made it to worrying about the bypass due to the effects themselves sounding sterile and digitally cold. I'm sure I'm going to get brow beaten by fans of the line, but that was my take. I also play a Princeton. 2 actually. I enjoy and use very organic tones. If that's what you're after, its my opinion there may be options that suit you better.

The verb and trem in my 68 RI are more defended and stronger than in my 65 by the way. The trem in the 68 has more intensity available. I have a Diamond trem as well because I like a chop wave and I think it does it best, is warm and with chop tap tempo is almost required. So it hits on all points.

I recently A/b'ed every reverb pedal at two stores in town that covered the gamut of corporate and boutique offerings looking for a reverb that best matched a Princeton to add to my wife's board who plays a 1962 brown face which has no verb. I did this by sitting with a Prineton with the verb on about 4 and switching between the box or the amp. In the end the one that matched it pretty spot on is the Mad Professor Silver Spring. There are a lot of different styles of verb out there to be had, but anyone who wants straight up Fender verb and doesn't need to cover crazy new age space/delay stuff, I highly recommend the Silver Spring.

9. melodiusthunk

melodiusthunk Bronzd & Supported Member Silver Supporting Member

My experience as well. Only sold mine because I needed funds for a speaker cab.

10. jm9239

jm9239 Member

I use a Big Sky and H9 on my big board and a Flint on my mini. The Flint is fantastic. The 80s mode is one of my favorite reverbs ever, especially on high decay settings.

11. smitty.west

smitty.west Senior Member

i play pretty much exclusively clean w/ some reverb coupled with light compression and the flint was my go-to for the longest time. it was replaced by an old flame, the neunaber wet, which is, imo, untouchable for beautiful lush 'verbs. that said, the flint's on my board at the moment-- the wet's taking a break-- and i'm loving the 80's mode again. 70's mode yields good times as well. trem is an added bonus.

12. RockDebris

RockDebris Member

I hold onto a Flint for building my ad-hoc small board. It's always the first pedal I choose to go on there (along with the Tap Tempo extension pedal). It sounds great and is easy to dial in.

13. meowmers

meowmers Member

Guthrie Govan says in his rig rundown he went into a shop looking for a trem and the Flint was recommended and he spent 2 hours playing around. It has a beautiful reverb he says

14. Ben Sp

Ben Sp Member

The trem is super. The reverb is pretty good, but no better than the EHX Holy Grail. There are some annoying traits relating to it's digitalness. About 20 percent of the times that I attempt to activate or deactivate both effects at once, neither happens because you can't hit both switches simultaneously for some reason. Also, it has secondary features that it "forgets", like the order of the two effects. Occasionally I will find that this setting will spontaneously change and you almost need the manual on hand to remember how to access the functionality to change the setting back.
    Also, if you use an expression pedal, when you turn the pedal off and on it forgets where you last had the expression pedal set and you have to re-adjust the expression pedal to get it back where you had it
    I don't know that I've seen my complaints echoed online so it's possible that it's my particular unit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. ejkennedy

ejkennedy Member

If my playing is not toneful does my opinion still count? Lol :).

Sunstone Recordings likes this.
  16. DaveKS

DaveKS Member

You sound like you should be running a wet/dry rig.

17. WarBeer

WarBeer Member

@ tourist....well, I have used the volume knob for tremolo before...and my living room does have a nice reverb of it's own;)

@ deadletteroffice...I had the Silver Spring and sent it back. In truth though, my main amp was down at the time and I was using a little Marshall JTM1 ! So, it wasn't a fair assessment.

My '62 Tremolux has a KILLER tremolo...that always feels like "part of the tone" as opposed to my Voodoo Labs Tremolo...which isn't bad, however, it always feels like it's fighting my tone for attention...and as bold as it is...it still feels a bit void of richness or dimension.

That being said, the rig that I use the most right now and would take out...is a Maz 18 NR...into a closed-back 1x12.

@ Smitty.West...I've thought about the "Wet" reverb myself...the demos all shine imo. Reflecting back to the "Silver Spring"..and considering the "Wet"...I never seem to like reverbs in front of the amp. Maybe, I just don't care for reverb much anymore...IDK...I wouldn't mind getting some "spaghetti western" sounds with some Trem/Verb. Maybe using them "faintly" for a bit of added dimension on ballads?

I know that there are some GREAT tremolos out there...I just thought that since I wouldn't be using it all that often...a 2-in-one might not be a bad way to go.(plus I'm trying to keep a 4-pedal board..and I've got 3...although, I could part with one)

The Strymon demos all sound pretty rich and inspiring...however, I've purchased a ton of pedals over the years that sounded fantastic in demos and then when I got to finally plug into them...they were sterile to my ears/taste. I've returned SO many pedals...lol...I'm probably "black listed" by now...lol.

18. WarBeer

WarBeer Member

@ DaveKS...brother, I've thought about that! I'm just trying to keep it simple. I have seriously thought about getting a Xotic X bender.

19. the tourist

the tourist Member

No need to pretend it was a joke. It was.

20. Black_Label

Black_Label Member

When the Flint is on, it sounds pretty good. I have issues with the bypass on all of the Strymon stuff I've owned. If you're playing into a totally clean rig, it shouldn't be a problem. The only time I've noticed issues with the bypass is when I'm playing into a dirty amp; having a Strymon pedal in my chain has changed the way different pickups drive the front end of the amp. But a Flint into a totally clean amp is great and doesn't sound digital at all to me.