ToneJunkie Helix presets

Pat6969

The nerve of those businesses that try to sell products! :mob

This is interesting to me. The only variable is you: your playing, your guitar, and your equipment you're listening on. It's not like they're using one set of Profiles for demo's and then sending a different set of Profiles in your purchase.

There's no way they could account for you and your guitar in their demos.
I didn't say they could. I was saying that third party profiles and IR's aren't always what you hear on YouTube.

"The only variable is you: your playing, your guitar, and your equipment you're listening on". What else is there? LOL!

dramaticrunner

Silver Supporting Member
That isn't exactly what I was saying. I'm just not half the player that guy is. He's really good, and he has a certain technique, even down to his picking and the picks he uses, that just sounds great.

I'm very much looking forward to hearing their takes on some of the other amps in the Helix, particularly the ones that I use most.
it kind of looks and sounds like he's using red Herdrim picks to get that scraping sound, but I'm not sure.

metropolis_4

Gold Supporting Member
I didn't say they could. I was saying that third party profiles and IR's aren't always what you hear on YouTube.

"The only variable is you: your playing, your guitar, and your equipment you're listening on". What else is there? LOL!

But unless you're suggesting they're pulling a bait & switch scam on us, they are what you hear. You're just hearing them with a different player, different guitar, and different playback system.

But that's no different from any other gear demo you're going to find on YouTube.

MrTAteMyBalls

Well, he has 70 percent off on his website. So I bought both preset packs for 8 bucks.

They do sound really really good.

I did a few interesting experiments changing out my York IR's with the ones from TJ's presets with the tone matching baked in.

It makes a difference. I don't know for sure if it's a better sound than I got with the York M25 pack, but the IR that sounded best was more open sounding with sparkle on top. It really was good on the LP...maybe too much with a strat.

Anyway it's pretty cool to mess around with for 8 bucks.

Pat6969

But unless you're suggesting they're pulling a bait & switch scam on us, they are what you hear. You're just hearing them with a different player, different guitar, and different playback system.

But that's no different from any other gear demo you're going to find on YouTube.
That's pretty obvious though. I'm sure most people realize they are a different player, have a different guitar, and have, generally, different gear. My initial post was saying if you buy a profile or IR pack and don't like it, you'll most likely dislike everything from that maker. I didn't apply any "bait and switch" tactics in any of my replies. You're reading into something that's not there.

thebard42

Silver Supporting Member
Well, he has 70 percent off on his website. So I bought both preset packs for 8 bucks.

They do sound really really good.

I did a few interesting experiments changing out my York IR's with the ones from TJ's presets with the tone matching baked in.

It makes a difference. I don't know for sure if it's a better sound than I got with the York M25 pack, but the IR that sounded best was more open sounding with sparkle on top. It really was good on the LP...maybe too much with a strat.

Anyway it's pretty cool to mess around with for 8 bucks.

To me, this is the merit of paying for a preset like this. Yes, I can make my own, they could be free. But I like seeing someone else's workflow and thought processes when making a preset. I managed to snag the Marshall pack with the 90% off coupon. It was definitely worth that for the experience learned.

Honestly I would pay way more for someone doing a workshop on tone matching with eq, modelers, and whatnot.

Karl Houseknecht

Silver Supporting Member
That's a pretty big accusation to make. Like, legal implications big. What's your source for that?
It's not a dig or an accusation. It's something I actually heard them say on their channel. Naturally they're going to tweak for something they want to hear. I didn't mean to imply they're delivering different profiles than what they're demoing. They just turned knobs, turned effects on, etc. The profiles don't always come with those tweaks baked in.

Jarick

Silver Supporting Member
I'm one of those guys with 5,000+ Tone Junkie profiles on my computer and no Kemper, lol. I will say his sales at $100 for everything are enticing, but I just found them really hit or miss.

machinated

I've been doing similar stuff to this for a few months and I actually think its very possible to do without the need for match EQ or iteratively processed IR's to match most amp models. If the original IR is captured without influence of the poweramp->cabinet interaction and you are doing like for like with the load modelled in helix, its really just a case of spending the time dialling the amp knobs the same.

I always find relying on match EQ or brute forcing IR's to match one tone to another is never quite as good sounding - furthermore, any adjustments you make to the sound are going to skew the sound of the cabinet away from the original. The real benefit of doing this with a clean IR is that you can then make use of the amplifier model behaving and reacting just as the real one does.

The thing that surprised me somewhat, is that a lot of factors that I thought would be really important can be dialled out with the controls available on the software without the need for additional EQ/curve matching. For instance, I have a Vintage Modern 2266 (which is essentially a KT66 JTM45 circuit with some switchable mods) and matching that to Helix's JTM45 was a doddle. I've also matched various Marshall's, their 3 channel Rectifier model to my 2 channel, and even matched a Krank Revolution to their Archon.

Karl Houseknecht

Silver Supporting Member
Okay, bought the Marshall pack at a 70% discount just to see what it's about.

Using the same patch and snapshot that they used in the video, my PRS Custom 22 sounds very much like the video where he's playing the Marshall using the 335. It sounds good.

Using my go-to IR from Ownhammer and the same Brit Plexi Bright amp, not even dialed up quite the same way, I get very, very similar results with just amp-IR-reverb.

There is a lot going on in their patch with multiple compressors and EQ. Not saying its unnecessary because it does make a difference if you bypass it, but it's complicated and maybe not 100% needed. I get very similar results in the patch I built from scratch with just amp-(Ownhammer IR)-reverb.

The IRs are decent sounding IRs. Probably worth the ~$5 I ended up paying. But are they better than what I already have? Are they magic? No. Is the patch magic? No. Is it some night and day revelation and has the Helix never sounded this good before? No. I've created my own patches that sound better. Heck, just subbing the Brit Plexi Bright with the Placater Dirty on default settings sounds far better.

Are the patches well built? Not really. For one thing, the default expression pedal for volume on the Helix is EXP2. These come with a volume block mapped to EXP1. You'll spend a moment wondering why you have no sound. The Lead scene on the patches is just weird: scooped and tinny with a Plastichorus and dual ping-pong delay. No lead sound I'd ever use.

Bottom line: IRs might be worth the $5-ish that I paid. They're okay. But there's nothing game changing or better than what I've been doing for literally years without EQ matching magic.

drew365

Silver Supporting Member
Okay, bought the Marshall pack at a 70% discount just to see what it's about.

Using the same patch and snapshot that they used in the video, my PRS Custom 22 sounds very much like the video where he's playing the Marshall using the 335. It sounds good.

Using my go-to IR from Ownhammer and the same Brit Plexi Bright amp, not even dialed up quite the same way, I get very, very similar results with just amp-IR-reverb.

There is a lot going on in their patch with multiple compressors and EQ. Not saying its unnecessary because it does make a difference if you bypass it, but it's complicated and maybe not 100% needed. I get very similar results in the patch I built from scratch with just amp-(Ownhammer IR)-reverb.

The IRs are decent sounding IRs. Probably worth the ~$5 I ended up paying. But are they better than what I already have? Are they magic? No. Is the patch magic? No. Is it some night and day revelation and has the Helix never sounded this good before? No. I've created my own patches that sound better. Heck, just subbing the Brit Plexi Bright with the Placater Dirty on default settings sounds far better.

Are the patches well built? Not really. For one thing, the default expression pedal for volume on the Helix is EXP2. These come with a volume block mapped to EXP1. You'll spend a moment wondering why you have no sound. The Lead scene on the patches is just weird: scooped and tinny with a Plastichorus and dual ping-pong delay. No lead sound I'd ever use.

Bottom line: IRs might be worth the $5-ish that I paid. They're okay. But there's nothing game changing or better than what I've been doing for literally years without EQ matching magic.
Not sure how you got the discount code to work today. I tried last night and couldn't get any of them to work. I bought two Marshall packs and the Princeton pack anyway. I agree that the Lead snapshot is not what I'd ever use, but overall there is a lot of work put into these patches. I like my own Princeton patch better than these, (not saying that mine would match an actual Princeton), but I'll probably tweak these a little and find a use for them. So even though I'm going to tweak them, I'm okay with the purchase as I think these patches are as good or better than any others that I've bought, and I've bought quite a few over the years.

b80

After I heard the dude strike the first chord with that Trini Lopez and the Marshall pack... I instantly bought it. It sounds so friggin good! Can't wait to use it on stage, this weekend, to see how it plays in the field.

drew365

Silver Supporting Member
I spent some time today with the '68 TJ Marsh PA patch #1. Now that's a nice patch. Beautiful clean with HB's. Nice drive snapshots for solo's. I'll probably be swapping out some of my Marshall patches from my band setlist, with this one. I still have to try #2, 3 & 4 patches from that amp.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom