• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Tonelab LE and using Direct Boxes

tjmicsak

I was planning on using a Radial Stereo DI to run my TLLE L&R direct to FOH and tap off the "throughput" of the DI for running to a stage monitor FRFF amp.
I contacted Vox/Korg USA and was told that the TLLE is Hi-Z in and already Low-Z out.
Does that mean using a DI that would also have Hi-Z in and Low-Z out would be a bad idea from dropping the impedence too much?

If it would be better I could run long 1/4" cables to the board direct, but I then loose my tap point for the stage monitor amp. I would rather depend on that than the PA monitor wedges so I can control my monitor mix.

Can I still use the DI with good results?

gillibi

Silver Supporting Member
This is one of my rigs. Tonelab>Radial di , thru to powered monitor.

Sounds excellent.

ballhawk

Silver Supporting Member
Do you use the JDI duplex? i ask because years ago i tried my tlab SE direct to FOH and it was so noisy that it was unusable. Strange because it sounded wonderful going into a rocktron velocity and a1x12 cab. I was thinking of selling it but it might make a good back up rig with a good DI box.

This is one of my rigs. Tonelab>Radial di , thru to powered monitor.

Sounds excellent.

kevinpmajka

You need to tweak your outputs and gain for the source for the PA if you are going to go direct. Your patches with an amp should be different because of the gain structure of the amp you use.

You could get trs male to XLR male cables to avoid the direct box, or just use a direct box. I like boxes so I wouldn't rely on a special cable - XLR cables are everywhere. TRS male to XLR Male should be every where but it isn't all the time.

Just my 2 cents.

ballhawk

Silver Supporting Member
You need to tweak your outputs and gain for the source for the PA if you are going to go direct. Your patches with an amp should be different because of the gain structure of the amp you use.
I hear you and understand. But that amp is a pretty neutral one and is very much like plugging into a powered monitor. It's why i chose it years ago for my modeler based stuff. I played with every parameter on that unit iirc (this was several years ago) and never could get it to play nice even though others said they had used it direct to FOH successfully. BTW I had no problem with the tonelab LE direct just the SE (I own both). Maybe just a funky unit.

gillibi

Silver Supporting Member
Radial ProDi stereo

Do you use the JDI duplex? i ask because years ago i tried my tlab SE direct to FOH and it was so noisy that it was unusable. Strange because it sounded wonderful going into a rocktron velocity and a1x12 cab. I was thinking of selling it but it might make a good back up rig with a good DI box.

Trending Topics