Tonelab LE Users...Effect Quality

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by TR in NC, Feb 3, 2008.

1. TR in NC

TR in NC Member

I'm thinking on buying a Tonelab LE and would like to here what others think on the quality of the effects sound...equal to Boss pedals etc.

Ted

2. Lucky Dog Guitars

Lucky Dog Guitars Member

I want to know about the LE too!! Hopefully some people will reply

The youtube demo's I have heard seem to sound better than most multi-FX stuff

3. 3 Mile Stone

3 Mile Stone Silver Supporting Member

I use one as an effects only unit. In the loop of my amp the delays are excellent. Chorus is suitable, quite good. Flanger is great, I don't use it. I hardly ever turn on the Verb but it is also very decent. I have used it in front of my amp once or twice. The overdrives are pretty good, octave fuzz, compressor, octave, vibe all very usable.

4. frankencat

frankencat Guitarded Gold Supporting Member

It's a good sounding, quality unit stand alone that is money in the studio. I couldn't get it to work like I wanted in a live setup though so I returned it. I have been thinking about getting another one though. I did some clips of it when I had it, I will try to find them and post them when I have a chance.

Edit: Here you go... http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=734184

5. recto-robbie

recto-robbie Member

Hey,, can you guys tell me just how hard is it to change the 12ax7 tube in the unit? Is it simply unscrew something on the bottom or do you actually need to disassemble the entire thing?

I find it kind of funny that nothing is mentioned at all in the manual about replacing it. The little ive heard about it people state that its a pain in the arse,, and I cant see how a company could possibly build something knowing eventually it will need to be replaced and most people would need to have a tech take care of it.
    Any help out there,,, is it really that much of a pain????

6. TR in NC

TR in NC Member

All, thanks for the feedback....I'm hoping to pick one up this weekend. I've seen mention of using the LE for effects only i.e., bypassing the amp sim but haven't seen anything specific on how you would set the LE to do that. Mainly getting it for home/studio use.

Ted

7. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

I bought mine a while back and have only since (yet) spent a few nights working with it. I didn't want to comment about the effects only, since 1) I never tried turning off the amp sims and 2) I have mixed feelings about them...some effects I think are pretty good, others I think I just need to tweak a little more.

I do have problems with it sound-wise, in that in headphones it sounds way different than into amp which sounds different than direct (changing the line out for the appropriate setting, line or amp) etc. I find none of the great patches I made in the headphones sound anything like it in the line out...and into my tube amps (tried two) I can't get that good of a soun. For fun I tried it into a Solid state Cube 60, and there is sounded much closer...so it definitely could be the amps setting their mark on the sound as well.

Not knocking the unit at all...it has some user drawbacks, but sounds pretty great, and I am glad I have it.

8. shadowbox

shadowbox Supporting Member

I bought one about 6 months ago for live use with a cover band. It does everything I need it to do. I take our set list, dial in sounds and create patches for each song, then I write the setting down next to each song on the list and just stomp it in when needed. As for the amp modeling, I like the sound of the Twin and use it for cleans in a number of tunes. I wonder how good the TL would be in the studio, though - I've never used it for recording.

Do a search here; there have been quite a few posts about the TL, a few of them with clips.

9. 3 Mile Stone

3 Mile Stone Silver Supporting Member

Could not be easier. You simply touch the button under the amp sims and it's off. Same goes for the cabinet simulation.

10. TR in NC

TR in NC Member

Your input is outstanding....I can't say enough about the GP it's such a great place for sharing info etc. Hope to give some feedback to you all on my experience with the LE.

Ted