ToneLab LE

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Grestch_Man, Feb 1, 2008.

1. Grestch_Man

Grestch_Man Member

Anyone out there using a ToneLab LE for giging? What type of setup are you running? I a new to MFX pedal boards and looking for some insight from anyone who would like to share how to run external pedals and the ToneLab LE together?

2. bilbal

bilbal Member

I am not gigging unfortunately but I own a Tonelab LE, love it, and use it quite extensively. I'm quite familiar with it - how I can I help you? With reference to your question about other pedals, I use the insert function (effects loop) to run other pedals that I have and it works perfectly - just like an effects loop on an amplifier. Please feel free to bounce any questions you have off of me or call me at (860) 857-9849 - I love to talk shop!!!

b

3. Grestch_Man

Grestch_Man Member

Do you have a picture of your setup? If I want to run a 2-3 external and the tonelab LE simultaneously how do I set that up?

Im glad to talk to another Tonelab LE user, its a great MFX unit.

4. recto-robbie

recto-robbie Member

Ive wanted one of these for a while. Ive heard they are best used through a board and PA. I would never have the chance to run it that way so my question to you guys is,,, how does it sound running through an amp??? and whats your honest opinion of the sound quality while listening to it through ear phones??? If it sounds real good I think it would be the perfect late night tool.
    Thanks for any help

5. danel59

danel59 Member

Hey Bilbal

Do you use the Ethos in the loop. I was thinking of pairing those 2 units up when I get my Ethos for running direct to the board. Have you tried it this way?

Dan

6. 777

777 Member

I play mine direct. However I don't run any additional effects with it. It sounds quite good!

7. bilbal

bilbal Member

Well I have no use for running my Ethos direct at the moment. Lately I have been running just the Ethos into my Bogner but I have (prior to the Bogner) run my Tonelab with the Ethos in the TL's effects loop (insert) into my Fuchs head. I don't like the Ethos run into the Tonelab directly. As nice of a pedal as the Ethos is, there is something that sounds funny when I run it in front of the Tonelab and then into the Bogner. I think it is because of the output volume I have the Tonelab at. It's at about half. At that level the Bogner isn't getting the proper input form my guitar or the Ethos. The Tonelab is working like a gate ya know? Sorry for the description - I know it's hard to understand the way I'm describing it. If I went through an redid all of my patches to match the input properly it' would be fine.

I hope I answered your question. If not keep asking until I get it right. Remember, you can always call me too - 860-857-9849. Perhaps I would be able to properly answer your question(s) that way. I start to answer the question but while I type I get confused and nothing good ever comes from it - sorry!!!

b

8. bilbal

bilbal Member

The tonelab is AWESOME for late night jamming with headphones!!! Also, with the "master" volume output dial, the integrity of the tone is easily kept but able to be managed volume-wise. It's just a great pedal/processor. The modeling is out of control. Some things are so dead-on you'd swear there were real. Check out the Orange model - it's great. So are the boutique models. It's a lot of fun!!!!!

b :D

9. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

10. Grestch_Man

Grestch_Man Member

Does anyone have their tonelab hooked up with external pedals? Can you show me a picture of your rig? I am trying to get an idea of how the setup can be done.

Thanks

11. Voxguy76

Voxguy76 Member

I run my Tonelab SE with external pedals. I've also had the Tonelab LE but prefer the layout of of the SE. I found it alot easier to maneuver in a live situation. I run guitar > Tonelab > (dyna comp, overdrive, whammy, fuzz) in the Tonelabs effects loop > Atomic Reactor. To be honest i would be totally happy using the onboard effects of the Tonelab as they do sound pretty good, but the comp and whammy arent up to par IMO hence i use the real thing.
    I've also used the Tonelab SE into an AC15 and had great results. However if your using an actual amp i'd highly recommend turning off the amp and cab sims on the Tonelab.

12. recto-robbie

recto-robbie Member

I assume you guys run the LE straight in through the front of an amp, using it on top of the amps clean channel..
    What if someone wants to use their amps gain???
    Ive got a big honkin board full of boutique pedals which I love but think the LE would be fun and very usefull. Problem im having is seeing just how this would work if I wanted to mainly use my amps gain?
    I just cant picture how it would work running all the effects it has into the front of your amp before your amps preamp???
    Can it be used effectivly through an effects loop? And if so then what would one do if they wanted to use the LE's on board OD's and distortion?

13. Grestch_Man

Grestch_Man Member

Any out there with a their tonelab LE setup with external pedals want to show a pic of there rig?

14. metz420

metz420 Silver Supporting Member

I don't have a picture of my rig, but there are two ways I run my external pedals...first is through the tonelab return/send jacks. This is how Tonelab recommends you set up external pedals and it places the pedal first in the chain (before amp/cab, mod, delay, and reverb). Be sure to hit the INSERT button for the external effect to work. Second way is to run the Tonelab as it's own "pedal" in the chain. I have the cable from my amp going into my ext. pedal, from the ext. pedal into the left/mono jack of the Tonelab, and from the Tonelab to my guitar. Either way has produced great results. Sometimes my ext. OD pedals respond better with my amp (Blues Junior) if they aren't run through the Tonelab as outlined in method #1.

15. eyeball987

eyeball987 Member

I run mine like this: guitar->compressor->Micro Amp->Bad Monkey->Tonelab->then either straight into a clean amp or into the amps loop return.

I am going to try the 4 cable method this week but I recently read that the benefit that you would get from that isn't the same as it would be on one of the Boss units because of how the pedals are set up in the chain and blah, blah, blah. I am going to try it out anyway.

16. Lucidology

Lucidology Member