Tonelab, Zoom G7, other for practice (indie, punk, etc.)

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by mvsr990, Mar 4, 2008.

1. mvsr990

mvsr990 Supporting Member

I'm looking for a practice unit to use w/ headphones (and potentially recording for fun, down the road) - bedroom and a hotel I'm spending about half of the next six months in.

Musically, I'm primarily interested in the noisier end of the punk/indie arena (from the Stooges to the Pixies, Mazzy Star, My Bloody Valentine), garage rock, Americana, Delta blues, classic rock - basically, I just don't like a lot of metal or high-gain stuff.

The POD sounds I can find (even on their website) don't sound right to me, so I'm kind of looking elsewhere (even though the PODs are the most convenient packages).

Effects I'm not worried about so much, mostly in the quality of the basic sound, clean/overdriven

Is the Tonelab the way to go? It seems to have the strongest following.

2. Alter

Alter Member

well, i ve had both, and i seem to be able to get better sounds out of the tonelab LE than the podXT. especially for medium/low gain sounds. the effects are pretty decent too. the tonelab has great ease of use and programming, but the podxt is very portable.

but basically i think that if you fool with both machines long enough, you ll get good sounds with both

3. TheFlash

TheFlash Member

I love my tonelab LE...I've been dialing in more pleasing tones with it than with my pedals > classic 30 setup. I bought for practice/recording but it's taking over my live playing too!

4. 777

777 Member

I had the PodXT Live & Tonelab LE at the same time & had the opportunity to do some testing for several months.

I no longer have the PodXT Live. The Tonelab was quite a bit more natural sounding & acting. Additionally like was said above, it's way easier to program.

5. dorfmeister

dorfmeister Member

6. Waxhead

Waxhead Member

Surfin at Merewether Point, NSW Australia
    I'd wait a few weeks for the new Boss GT-10 to be released. It allegedly has a much simpler interface than the GT-8. For your application I recommend that or the Tonelab. The Boss GT-8 is a much better unit than the Tonelab allround but only if you spend lots of time tweaking it. It ain't user friendly whereas the Tonelab is. So wait and see on the Gt-10.

I think the POD is rubbish by comparison.