Toneman Rangemaster Vs. Analogman Beano

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by dewman, May 22, 2008.

1. dewman

dewman Gold Supporting Member

Differences, similarities, advantages, disadvantages??? Trannie differences leading to any tone variations??? Which is more authentic to the original Dallas Rangemaster??

2. Fireball XL5

Fireball XL5 Supporting Member

I can't compare the two and have not tried any other Rangemaster type pedals so take my comments FWIW, but I had a Toneman Rangemaster and it was one of the worst sounding pedals I've ever owned.

Now it's very possible that I "just didn't get it", but I tried that pedal into the Normal channel of my old Marshall amps ('67 plexi Super Bass and '73 50 watt Bass), my Germino Classic 45, and the Normal channel of my AC30 TBX - CRANKED - and no matter how it was set it sounded like a box of angry bees to my ears. Just a totally useless sound IMO, and I've been too apprehensive to purchase any other pedals based on that circuit since.

3. Phil M

Phil M Member

I've had both. After owning a bunch of Rangemaster style treble boosters, these two both had the rawest tone and were both high quality. However, to me, the Toneman was the meanest sounding of the bunch and I prefer that one to all others.

Also, I don't find the 9v tap useful on germanium pedals like treble boosters and germ fuzzes. They sound better with batteries. Besides, when they do have power taps, aren't they center positive and need a special adapter?

4. FloridaSam

FloridaSam Member

My Rangemaster clone uses OC44 Transistor, has a 9v center negative tap?? (at least that's how I've been powering it) I don't know how but it does.

5. gang twanger

gang twanger Member

Billy Gibbons has a Beano Boost and supposedly he likes it better than anything else, including his old Dallas Rangemasters from the 60's. IMO, Analog Man is the best choice for Fuzz Face or Rangemaster clones.

6. sstweed

sstweed Supporting Member

To my experience, such as it is, you may as well buy them both (they are both top-notch) and try them. This may be a flawed assumption based on what I have seen of the germanium world of fuzz faces and treble boosters, but to me they vary so much unit to unit, and are so rig/player dependent, that you can't make broad across the board assumptions about them. Admittedly, this is slightly more true of fuzzfaces than with treble boosters, but it still generally applies.

If you try one Toneman and one Analogman, for example, and find the Toneman warmer, in no way can you conclude from that that all Tonemans are warmer than all Analogmans. You can say that between those two particular pedals, with your current rig, the Toneman seemed to work better (assuming warm is what you were after). But, if someone steals that Toneman, and you are forced to go get another, your results may slightly vary (and it might be the Analogman that is warmer this time around). Long story short, one persons one-off comparison will most probably be totally useless to you. If you tried ten from each maker you might start seeing a pattern develop but who has patience for that. If you find one that works for you, then go with it and make some music. Just don't be lulled into the "this brand is great and all the others are harsh" mentality from one simple A-B test. Just two cents from a germanium junkie.

7. fuzzz boxx

fuzzz boxx Member

I own a Toneman Rangemaster, and it's excellent.

8. DC1

DC1 Member

9. dewman

I guess I am wondering if there is much audible difference between the two Rangemaster clones at band playing levels. One has the OC44 and the other the NKT275. I have the Beano, a good pedal but one always wonders if the grass is greaner with a more 'authentic' build with an OC44 or OC71, or does that even matter....and I am speaking more of how the amp/pedal combination sounds at playing volume in a band setting. If they are quite similar in tat setting, then I'll keep on keeping on...

10. sstweed

sstweed Supporting Member

Analogman addresses this on his site if I remember right. He put a vintage 44 in a Beano and said he couldn't hear much difference. With these GE transistors, one example probably isn't conclusive proof that there isn't much difference, or maybe the treble booster circuit is more forgiving of the transistor than the fuzzface. In a TB circuit can you hear the difference between two identical 275 equiped pedals or two identical 44 equiped pedals? If so, in a comparison between a 44 equiped pedal and a 275 equiped pedal, how would you ever know if you were hearing the difference between the 44 vs the 275, or just the difference between two unique transistors?

The question of whether the audience could EVER hear the difference either way, may truely religate all this hair splitting to tone geeks like us.

11. Lolaviola

Lolaviola Supporting Member

Well, I beleive that when you have THAT much TREBLE and it is BOOSTED, all you can do is HEAR the difference, when there is a "bad" sound. Some of them DO sound bad.

I am a beleiver in the "the audience will never hear that tone" but I can say that personally I preferred one boost over another, by far, simply based on how it worked with my rig. One was definately "ice pick city" and the other was smoother. Can I conclude that ALL of this brand is smoother? No! I can't, because I think you need to take another look at the post above (#8) because I agree TOTALLY. Especially with treble boost.

12. dewman

I guess I sort of started this because the Toneman clips to my ears sound very much like the Clapton Beano tones than what I am hearing with my Analogman Beano. I am either not cranking my amp enough or I've got my amp set too bright and should run it dark. The Analogman Beano cuts through in a band mix like no other pedal and I'd like to take full advantage of it but wanted some of the Claptonesque smoothness on the Beano Album and didnt know if the two circuits were dissimilar enough with the two trannies to warrant a different tone observable in a band setting. I'm just thinking it might be good to leave it on all the time and shape the tone from that perspective cause nothing makes you soar over a mix than the Beano IMHO...wakes up that mushy fuzz face too!!

13. tfunster

tfunster Gold Supporting Member

I heard from a number of people that there was no Rangemaster on the Beano album.

I don't have the Toneman, but I have the Beano Boost and it's great.