Toneport UX2 Powering

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by benbenben, Jun 29, 2008.

1. benbenben

benbenben Member

Hey guys,

Just been really into the idea of laying down some tracks to build on in the future cause I come up with some cool tunes (relative to my ears) and I know I'll forget them after a day.

The Toneport seems like a pretty cheap interface with 4 inputs. Planning to bring one in from the states. How is it powered? As there's power requirements from Australia that don't match the US. I've checked the website, but it doesn't seem to some sort of DC in. Is it just simply powered via the USB cable or something? That'd be great... Any other interfaces which are decently priced?

2. mims2

mims2 Member

I have one that's been pretty great. It is powered through USB.

3. Tbone135

Tbone135 Member

Yep, it's USB. I've really enjoyed mine.

4. JeffE

JeffE Member

Also check out Guitar Rig Session from Native Instruments...the amp emulations are awesome, and the included hardware is nifty (and USB powered as well). Retail price is $200 US dollars.

5. benbenben

benbenben Member

Are people mainly using this with the guitar directly in? I was planning to mic my amp up before recording.

How good is the software that comes with the program? Is it really complicated? I know pro tools that comes with the M-Audio stuff is great but a bit tricky for me, i just want simple one which will let me tweak it to sound good without too much hassle.

6. JeffE

JeffE Member

I think the majority of folks are using the UX2 or Guitar Rig to go straight into the computer via USB, using amp and effects emulation...however, both also provide XLR mic inputs and phantom power if you want to mic your amp instead.

Guitar Rig is pretty easy to use, but keep in mind that's not the recording software. It includes Ableton Lite which I've heard is also easy to use, but I haven't tried it myself. I bought Cubase Sequel and I'm coming up the learning curve.

7. Ooogie

Ooogie Member

8. mild

mild Member

Holy great timing batman! My UX2 just arrived in the mail today, I'm going to plug it in later tonight and fool with it!

Question for all the Protools users in here - what have you found to be the most useful way to interface these two? I run PT7.x with an MBox1.