Tonepros Locking Klusons?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by gassyndrome, Feb 28, 2006.

1. gassyndrome

gassyndrome Member

I remember there being a thread a while back about these. There's a picture up on the Tonepros website, but has anyone actually seen these yet? Are they available from anywhere for purchase yet?

Cheers,
    Simon.

2. Chiba

Chiba Gold Supporting Member

I saw them up close at NAMM. I'm sure they work exactly as advertised, but they are U G L Y. They would, IMO, ruin the appearance of any instrument they were installed on.

--chiba

3. Chiba

They look like a Kluson tuner with a big locking mechanism/thumbwheel attached to the top. Very big.

If you've ever seen the new PRS locking tuners, think that - but almost 1/2" tall and knurled all around. Nasty looking IMHO.

The normal, non-locking Klusons they sell look perfectly normal, it's just the locking ones that look f'd up.

--chiba

4. eric102673

eric102673 Member

I'm afraid I had the exact same reaction as Wes did when I saw them. I was looking forward to them but when I spotted them I believe I said..."What the fug is THAT?!?"

I HOPE they were some kind of prototype. AND the locking mechanism was black as I recall.

UGH!

-e.

5. murkat

murkat I like sea otters Silver Supporting Member

I have a set of Goto Klusons on my R9. They look like stock until you notice the slot on top to lock/ unlock. My only complaint~ would like a better ratio.

6. CAFeathers

CAFeathers Member

Here is a picture of the one that I had here to check out.

[​IMG]

My distributor is not currently carrying them.

7. CAFeathers

CAFeathers Member

The one I posted the pic of is not the same as the ones shown on the WD site.

The ones on the WD site are not the TonePros/Kluson locking tuners.

The ones on the WD site have a Grover style locking unit. These I can get.

8. CAFeathers

CAFeathers Member

The TonePros/Kluson locking tuner is based on the PRSi locking tuner design (they just look different).
    I really can't say if there is any fucntional difference as I have never used locking tuners, and I have yet to see any reviews of the TonePros/Kluson tuners.

9. sundaypunch

sundaypunch Member

Holy crap, what were they thinking with those.

I'd rather keep my original Klusons and attach a c-clamp to each of the tuner posts. :jo

10. RL in Fla

RL in Fla Member

Heavy Metal or Techno maybe ? I'd forego the C clamps and just tune it and then get 'em spotwelded .

11. BrownDog

BrownDog Member

I recently changed out the stock PRS tuners on my McCarty BLE for some RS aged Klusons and appropriate-sized bushings for the new tuners. The RS footprint was perfect, no problems there in terms of installing the tuners. But, it was very difficult and time-consuming to remove the old PRS bushings - PRS glues their bushing in (at least this was the case for my McCarty BLE). The bushings needed to be heated to soften the glue and a drill press used to push them out. Once they were removed, the new bushings were a perfect fit, sans glue!

Just something to think about when purchasing new tuners - will the bushings need to be replaced as well?

For myself alone and With tone and oneness, Mike

12. Rich

Rich Silver Supporting Member

Hey Mike

Well, you know PRS-- anything to increase tone. So of course they'd glue in the bushings. Surprised they didnt use mil-spec epoxy. ;)

13. BrownDog

BrownDog Member

Mil-spec epoxy: that went through my mind!

I just received a Pigtail wraparound bridge/bushings (the bridge is very cool and very lightweight; the bushing are typical Pigtail quality as well) that's going on the McCarty BLE. Once the weekend is through, I'll know if those bushings have glue as well.

With tone and oneness, Mike.

14. Rich

Rich Silver Supporting Member

Be careful-- you'll probably need to use a blowtorch to get those suckers out.

15. Chiba

Most companies glue the bushings in, even if very lightly. Otherwise they could vibrate out or fall out.

--chiba

16. BrownDog

BrownDog Member

...but PRS uses more than a "healthy" amount.

In fact, I tried pulling the tailpiece bushings out of my McCarty so that new ones could be put in (the new ones are made of hardened steel from Pigtail). Like the tuner bushing, they, too, are solidly glued in by PRS. Heating would not loosen the glue - did not want to apply too much heat for fear of damaging the finish. Looks like the stock bushing will stay, but the pigtail bridge is a go (need to notch the saddles).

For myself alone and with tone and oneness, Mike.

17. BrownDog

BrownDog Member

The bushings for the McCarty tailpiece would not budge and I need to replace them because the coupling of the Pigtail tailpiece and the PRS stud in not very good when strung to pitch. (It took some leverage when changing out the bushings on my LP Historic stoptail, but nothing like the PRS.)

Anyway, I sent an email to PRS and they replied that the bushings are NOT glued in, they are "merely pushed into the wood." (BTW: Nice customer service, the email response was very quick indeed!) Looks like more elbow grease than thought will need to be applied.

I'll keep the group informed of the progress.

With tone and oneness, Mike

18. BrownDog

BrownDog Member

The job is done - the stock bushings are pulled (a tough process that took a lot of elbow grease and care to ensure the finish is not nicked as the bushings were pulled out). The Pigtail bushings are installed, perfect fit just as Steve said. The coupling is fantastic - the Pigtail bridge, bushings and studs work great together, the trinity!

The tone of my PRC McCarty BLE is more open, notes are clearer and a little bit brighter. (The touch of brightness suits my McCarty BLE's rosewood neck perfectly.) Again, notes seem more clear, harmonics are easily gotten and have a nice full tone, sustain is as expected and there seems to be a little extra note bloom as well. It was well worth the time and effort to install.

With tone and oneness, Mike