Tonepros - Standard or Aluminum

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by John H, Jul 25, 2008.

1. John H

John H Silver Supporting Member

Which would you recommend for an upgrade on my LP Classic and why? Your insights are much appreciated.

2. Eagle1

Eagle1 Member

Aluminiun sounds livelier to me. But I would just get the Gotoh featherweight.

3. John H

Thanks! More opinions?

4. John H

Preferences? Recommendations?

5. geetarman

geetarman Member

If your LP Classic is on the brighter side I'd go with the standard if the opposite is true aluminum would be my choice.

6. John H

7. Bob V

Bob V Member

The Historics have aluminum stop bar tailpieces, but ironically enough you rarely hear people actually talking about the specific difference in sound that you get with them. So thanks for describing what you found. I'm considering the Gotoh as an upgrade to my ES-339 but mostly because I'm an impatient tinkerer and it's probably a more subltle change than changing the pickups and it's easier to reverse if I don't like it.

8. tonio19

tonio19 Member

Bob, I put a Gotoh on my 339 (w/59 neck) and it really made a big difference on mine. Of course the Gotoh does not lock down like the Tone Pros, so you still have to be carefull at string change time, but it really helped my tone noticeably and was pretty inexpensive.

9. John H

10. jamison162

jamison162 Supporting Member

On my LP's I usually do the TP locking Nashville bridges, TP Locking Tailpiece Studs (Steel) with a Gotoh LW aluminum tailpiece.

11. JLee

JLee Supporting Member

+1. The Standard will add more low end and low end definition. Aluminum adds a bit of air and brightness and takes away some chunk to the low end. My Tokai LS200 was too overbearing and muddy in the low end, especially on the neck pickup. New pickups did the most to remedy the issue, but the lightweight tailpiece was the last bump the guitar needed. Not so much a night and day difference, but definitely noticeable.

12. stuagu

stuagu Member

i would upgrade with the tonepros alluminium one, a real woody resonant quality will ensue as long as its one of the half decent classics. in fact id tonepros the lot (tuners/posts/bridge & lightweight tailpice). i dont find anything is lost, its all good & its lighter too. as a side note i thought the pick ups were awful in the classic i had, those ceramic things? stick some lindy fralins in it & bobs your uncle & fannys your aunt.

13. CAFeathers

CAFeathers Member

I always recommend (and personally use) the Gotoh Aluminum Tailpiece and TonePros Locking Studs.

14. John H

15. funkle

funkle Member

I'm going through the same tinkering now. Just got a Gotoh alum tailpiece, but have not fitted it yet.

I just discovered Faber . I'm really interested in their Tone-Lock studs. I've always felt that TonePros really missed the mark on delivering true locking hardware. The Tone-Lock bridge locks everything down, including the studs themselves (where TonePros only locks the TP to the studs, but the studs are still loose in the bushings). They also sell aluminum tailpieces and a what looks like a very high quality ABR style bridge - the thing is machined with tight tolerances so that the saddles don't rattle around (another thing that TonePros missed the mark on IMO). You can get the bridge with titanium saddles too.

Pigtail music also makes what looks like a high quality, tight ABR style bridge in aluminum for $200! Ouch.

16. John H

Still learning...

17. John H

Any more suggestions?

18. jay42

jay42 Member

Maybe it's just a rumor, but I recall someone saying that TonePro's stop tailpieces are second op'd Gotohs.

19. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

another vote for an aluminum tailpiece and the tone pros steel locking studs.

also, the tonepros version of the abr-1 does in fact have tightly set (brass) saddles, courtesy of little nylon washers that tighten everything up.

20. jamison162

jamison162 Supporting Member