Tonepros = Tone change?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by frankencat, Jan 12, 2008.

1. frankencat

frankencat Gold Supporting Member

Just installed a Tonepros bridge and locking studs on my LP. Is it just me or do these things change your tone dramatically?

P.S. I am not sure I like it.

2. plexirocker 68

plexirocker 68 Member

The locking studs I like. The bridge, no! It Killed my tone. Made it brittle, took away the mids and the low end. The original Gibby TOM sounds much better IMO.

plexi

3. frankencat

Yeah, that's what I am thinking. Hmmm......

4. supergenius365

supergenius365 Silver Supporting Member

Just put the tail piece studs in on an early 90's Epi Sheraton II. That guitar now sounds and plays way better than it ever has. I was amazed and impressed.

5. 1radicalron

1radicalron Member

I have installed many a Tonepros on my Lesters. I personally love the way they sound. Way better Sustain and Harmonics. I also find the Guitar will intonate better as the adjustment space between saddles a slightly wider. I Use the Locking Tailpiece studs with a lightweight Aluminum Tailpiece. I find this retains the Unique Les Paul "Clang"!!! - dont forget to crank down the Allen screws to "lock the Bridge in place on the studs.
    Cool Experiment = Try Playing 2nd and 3rd fret harmonics with the Bridge Pup on a Lester. With the Stock ABR Gibson bridge = they will barely ring, Die off quickly. - The Tonepros System allows the harmonics to be clear and sustain for much longer. This is not everyones cup o tea! = But it suits me just Dandy!

6. frankencat

You know, I just did this again with another LP and same results. Not sure I like it. It seems to have made the guitar brighter and also lost some bottom end and sustain. Is this possible?

7. ssdeluxe

ssdeluxe Member

I will start ducking the flame throwers now........

but I honestly don't think it makes an abri/stop gtr better, different yes.

I feel for me: les pauls' or 335's (my experience with these) that the personality of the gtr was just fine with orig. setup. I don't necessarily need more sustain or brightness. but as always ymmv.

8. 1973Marshall

1973Marshall Member

I felt my Tonepros made my LP balanced with decent warmth and sustain, but took some of the highs and jangly-ness (is that a word?) out.

9. CraigSuperLead

CraigSuperLead Silver Supporting Member

I agree. I put one with the string saver saddles on my LP. Had it on for about 20 minutes... Didn't like it at all. It may have had better sustain or something, but the tone that I liked was gone.

10. oscar100

oscar100 Supporting Member

its a pain to change strings and set up - i knoew that much:puh

11. frankencat

Yeah, that's pretty much the reason I put the Tonepros on - to make string changes easier and to keep the setup locked in. Not sure I like the sonics though.

12. tone?

tone? Supporting Member

Just because something is advertised as better doesnt mean it will work on our guitars when we install it. Most of the time a guitar is a sum of the way it is designed and certain parts just go well together.

i recently put a gotoh floyd on my Ibby to replace the Ibby Original edge and it didnt sound as good. actually there was quite a big difference and not a good one. The Ibby was just designed with that hardware in mind for the end overall tone.

This might even be true with a cheap squire with a zinc block trem with potted steel parts. It might sound worse with a Callaham or whatever other high end trem goes in there. Cause it wont fit with the rest of the equation.

cheers

13. LaXu

LaXu Member

The only thing that will change tone is the material, not the locking part. I did the Tonepros mod on a stock Gotoh bridge myself and there was no change in tone. Tuning stability was improved because the bridge had too large post holes so it could move around.

14. jiml

jiml Silver Supporting Member

Definately added more "zing" to my Les Paul, but I only really hear it unplugged. Still on the fence about the change, I like how the whole guitar does not fall apart during string changes, and the bigger studs on the bridge make it more stable.

15. Tidewater Custom Shop

Tidewater Custom Shop Performance Enhancing Guitarworks Supporting Member

I did a complete swap-out of all the elex and hardware on my '06 LPDC, to include nickel TonePros bridge/tail and tuners. So, the sum of the parts provided way more tone and way more sustain than stock. A big part of the equation is the TonePros, and I think they delivered exactly what they advertised in this case. To be fair, the parts I replaced were so-so in quality IMO.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. frankencat

OK, I take it back. I just did an a/b with the old bridge and it is clearer and more sustain with the TP bridge. I am fickle what can I say :)

17. Brien

Brien Member

My 335 is definitely brighter with the TP bridge on it. I like it, but I can see how some wouldn't.

18. jamison162

jamison162 Member

Go with the Faber products. Tone-Lock tailpiece system = steel studs that lock using steel spacers. You can use your stock heavy zinc TP or get the Faber lw aluminum. Also go with the Faber wireless ABR. It has nickel plated brass saddles, it fits Nashville posts....but it is pre-notched. And if you really wanna mkae the full ABR conversion, pull those Nashville bridge bushings/inserts, thread with an 8mm-1.25 tap and install the steel conversion posts. It's a lot easier than it sounds and the parts are VERY affordable.

DO a search for CV Guitars, the US Faber importer/dealer.

19. Cottage

Cottage Supporting Member

The bridge and tailpiece definately improved the sustain on my LP. The addition of Grover heads also seemed to make a difference.

20. Seegs

Seegs Member

this is kinda what I was hearing until reading this thread:eek: I have gone with tone pros on my R8 along with the stock tailpiece and really like the difference...no negatives that I have heard...

I also had the Faber stuff on my 335 but have since have swapped out the Faber retro-fit (ABR-1 - Nashville) with the brass saddles for a tone pro Nashville bridge and have swapped out the Faber tailpiece for a lightweight alu. from a 72 LesPaul Jr. while keeping the Faber spacers and really like both changes a lot...

Chow,
    Seegs