tonequest clarksdale 50's dearmond clone

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Zander, Mar 1, 2006.

1. Zander

Zander Member

2. CitizenCain

CitizenCain Member

Haven't heard about this one, but Savage makes the Macht 6 and Macht 12, which are also copies of this Dearmond amp. If the Tonequest sounds anything like those, it will be wonderful.

3. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

Dont know about em either. Seems like a cool amp. Looking at the Tube Compliment it seems awfully simillar to a Tweed Deluxe.

4. Zander

Zander Member

from what I have seen, I think a lot of these early amps including the supros, valcos, etc... all had a similar tube configuration. I like the sound of those amps as well, but thought I would buy somthing built in this decade to avoid any tech issues.

I will certainly check out the savages. thanks for the tip.

:BEER

5. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

You can save a little money if you check out a Tweed Deluxe from my good friend Steve at www.sdgvintageamps.com

You can get one in just about any color covering you can think of.

I have one with a couple of Tweaks. Mine is a Tweed Deluxe with bigger Trannys and will run 6L6's or 6V6's with either a 5Y3 rectifier or a GZ34. I have an Eminece Wizard in mine and loving it for sometime now. These amps are normally Cathode Biased mine is Fixed Bias with a Pot to set the Adjustment.

Its such a fun Amp to Play. Its my Grab and go rig with the Tone of the best Hand Wired Tube Amps around but not the Cost of some stuff. Steve really is making these at a bargain. The Amps come with Mercury Magnetics Transformers and all the best stuff.

6. shallbe

shallbe Deputy Plankspanker Gold Supporting Member

Regarding the Savage Macht 6--it is a truly great amp (and based on that DeArmond). For 6 watts, it sounds huge, and not at all like a low powered amp. Fabulous clean tones and Led Zep II when turned up. Big sounding throughout the volume range. I have not played the Mact 12, but think it is a different animal. The Macht 6 trem is fantastic as well.

Do not confuse this amp with a tweed deluxe because of similar tubes. They do not sound alike, IMO. The Macht 6 has more clarity, more low end thump and stays together with less compression.

I'm not interested in the Clarksdale. Too pricey for one, and the Macht 6 suits my needs perfectly.

7. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

I wasnt comparing the Savage just the Clarksdale. The Clarksdale seems a little pricy to me for whats in it. I havent heard one though.

8. katuna

katuna Silver Supporting Member

+1 for sure. Macht 6 rocks. I also had a Macht 12 and wasn't nearly as impressed with it as I was with the 6. Not sure why - just didn't break up as nicely, I guess.

9. Zander

Zander Member

I just found this on the savage site. it seems the macht 6 was developed after a request from the tonequest folks. Not sure why they decided to develop their own version.

http://www.savageamps.com/tqr2.pdf

10. shallbe

shallbe Deputy Plankspanker Gold Supporting Member

Not sure why either, because the Savage guys got it right, IMO. Funny, the TQR never mentions the Savage in their recent article on the TQ Clarksdale and its origin. Considering they have covered the Savage, and these amps have similar inspirations, I thought that was odd. Tone Quest has now marketed their own straps, guitars and now an amp. I guess a pedal or two will be next.

11. redtoploader

redtoploader Member

Hmmm, I think there is some confusion here(or at least I am!)

The CF Martin is REALLY close circuit-wise to a 5e3 deluxe- 2 6v6 in push pull.

The Savage amps are both single ended, with the 12 being 2 6v6 in parallel...so this is totally different than the CF Martin. I believe DeArmond made a parallel single ended amp(as did gibson) so I think this is the one Savage went after.

I didnt know DeArmond also made the CF Martin amp?

12. atomicmassunit

atomicmassunit Member

There's one of the originals on eBay right now, a Martin brand amp... same deal.