Tonequest flays ABB

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by pete692, May 14, 2009.

1. fierce_carrot

fierce_carrot Member

I've seen Warren a number of times, been up close to his rig with Brian Farmer a couple times as well. It's a KILLER system and well proven.

How can you make a Super Reverb sound bad? Derek is another monster player using proven gear.

If they had bad tone, it wasn't their playing or their gear, it had to be external sources such as the acoustics of the hall or the sound system or a combination of both.

2. Holliman

Holliman Triad Abuser

+1...had to be the mix through the mains.

3. pete692

pete692 Silver Supporting Member

The bottom line is, these are professional (legendary around here) guitarists in a guitar driven band, known for their tone. The tickets are NOT CHEAP. So if you go and the tone sucks, what's the point? The band, the promoters, and the soundmen should not have let that happen. NO EXCUSES.

4. Thor

Thor Member

Just saw them at the Fox in Oakland CA and I thought that Derick's tone was excellent, and Warren sounded good. Their playing was, of course, sublime.

5. cugel

cugel Supporting Member

i say its refreshing to hear a reviewer actually say something thats not glowing.. i am sick and f'ing tired of every single person who says that every band is "incredible live" or "they are amazing live"
    radio stations are the worst for this (for obvious reasons)
    but i kid you not, this DJ in SD (o'halleran or ??) was saying some norwegian singer chick was up there with Hendrix. WTF are you thinkning saying this?

6. Guitar55

Guitar55 Who was that masked man? Silver Supporting Member

I was at THE 40th Anniversary Show, no guests, just the ABB playing the first two albums in sequence. I thought the guitars sounded great, but even more important than the tone was the playing. Spectacular, especially Derek. I also have the recording to refresh my memory.

7. rreiser

rreiser Supporting Member

I read the article and the point I got is that the notes and musicianship was excellent but it didn't transfer thru the PA with a full upfront ballsy tone. Whether it was the soundman , the amps , or too much gain is up for grabs. I've seen many live concerts and I have to agree that it surprises me sometimes how bad the sound is but I can tell the guy is playing his ass off. I guess thats why I obsess a little more about my tone and do believe it makes a difference for the audience. I think thats the point of the article in my opinion.

8. fullerplast

fullerplast Senior Member

I don't know how many people here posting their opinions actually read the article, but Pete's points here, and the fact that sound out front is largely a function of the soundman and venue, were the main thrust of the short article. It was just a theme intro to the issue...not a review of PRS, Fender, or Soldano amps.

The point was that big expensive shows have become more of a social event to be seen at, than a musical appreciation experience. Music and tone have become secondary to the social experience for many people.

9. KRosser

KRosser Member

I've bought one issue of ToneQuest Report (David Lindley cover) and I'd probably never buy another one.

10. KRosser

KRosser Member

Do you really think this is any different that it's ever been?

11. fullerplast

Yes, I do.

As an audience member for the ABB Fillmore East recordings (being compared in the article) and many other Fillmore/NYC area shows....when tickets were $3.50-$5.50.....there was not the same status associated with simply being at an expensive/exclusive show.

Now, much like many horse races, the "well to do" simply want to be seen. People are talking all throughout the music and many seem to not really be into it. While it was always a social scene, there does appear to be a very real shift in audience appreciation of the music itself.

12. shallbe

shallbe Deputy Plankspanker Gold Supporting Member

I'm not a subscriber anymore, and won't be again.

I won't go into how many times they actually screwed up my subscriptions/payments and renewals in the past. Their branded products were the last straw.

Finally, I now refuse to pay for "expert opinions and analysis" from someone that actually does not take the stage with gear. There is listening experience and real working experience. I'll take the word of a doer vs. a talker anyday.

13. KRosser

KRosser Member

I don't think the idea of a social community bonding over a collective experience like a concert is a bad thing, FWIW. I think anything that allows large numbers of people to assemble peaceably is a force for good.

What I guess I should have added is that going with a gear mag's fixation/expectation for 'tone' doesn't seem to be about appreciating the music either.

14. Atmospheric

Atmospheric Supporting Member

I saw my first concert at age 12 in 1968.

I've seen over 500 concerts since (mostly, rock, jazz and fusion, but I did see Segovia twice) in all sorts of venues.

From my perspective, things changed drastically in the '80s.

That was first time I had friends coming back from concerts (The Police at Hollywood Park was the first such report) saying, "the crowd sang along with every song all night, I could not hear the band."

My first concert in 1968... I went with my grandparents to see The Rascals, Animals and Tommy James at the Hollywood Bowl. My grandparents remarked how polite they thought the crowd was (they were primarily theatre goers and feared the worst at a rock concert).

Audiences were more polite when people smoked pot at concerts. Not a very PC idea, but true nonetheless. Now that smoking of all types is banned, people mostly drink to excess. It only takes about one loud rude drunk out of a 100 other folks to totally ruin things. The concert experience is immeasurably worse today than at anytime in the past. EVER. It's not even disputable.

15. fullerplast

IMHO, especially for people who haven't even read the brief introductory commentary to the issue, way too much is being read into those comments. It was simply an expression of great expectations exceeding what was heard. People said the same thing about the recent Cream shows, and it was true there as well.

Face it, the ABB LAFE album was a pinnacle of musical performance and tone. It's a hard act to follow.

16. pete692

pete692 Silver Supporting Member

Don't see what this has to do with the article in question. I guess all album and concert reviews I've ever read are invalid unless the writer "takes to the stage" with gear.

17. TommyMambo

TommyMambo Member

Somewhere around the time that "The Long Run" was released, maybe a few years before ("Rumours"?), somebody figured out rock and roll was big business...I mean BIG!!!

Maybe its the aging of the baby boomers, but for the past 30 or so years, we've been in the age of art as commerce.

18. wire 247

wire 247 Member

19. fullerplast

20. johnzias

johnzias Member

+1 (I was there too!)