ToneQuestReport Jan/Feb

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by smolder, Feb 17, 2015.

1. smolder

smolder Gold Supporting Member

I've been a big fan of this publication over the years and never hesitated to write the check... but just as my subscription is up for renewal I get the latest issue.

Two things are odd... it reads like a Gibson brochure for 335's and speaks to lots of the most prevalent criticisms of the company... and, a large part of the article is printed twice... as if there was no proof reader. I now second guessing my subscription. Anyone else? Thoughts?

2. 54GT

54GT Silver Supporting Member

mine was the same, on both counts. Very strange, and felt quite ripped off. I am hoping it was a mistake all the way around

3. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

Two part answer.

The substance of the article is similar to my reaction to the several recent Memphis ES-335s and ES-330s I've played (the high end ones the article refers to). They have been consistent and very well done exceptionally well done.

I have plenty of criticism for Gibson of late but on this I agree with Tonequest.

I agree, however, that the duplication and obvious lack of proofreading is disturbing for a publication like Tonequest that charges premium prices. I think the publisher owes the paid subscribers some kind of explanation for that, but not the content of the article.

4. smolder

smolder Gold Supporting Member

I've been in the design/printing business... and I've talked to Dave on a few occasions. Great guy. I was genuinely concerned... in that business that is a big deal.

The 335's seem to have a historical reputation of being all over the map in quality. If this is true, and has been fixed, that's great to know. I have a Epiphone 335 Pro that is a really great player... an upgrade or P90 version is likely in my future.

5. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

I can't speak to the regular production 335s, but the Memphis ones (335 & 330) mentioned in the article (VOS?) are very nice based on the 5-6 I've seen (random, not cherry picked).

6. TheoDog

TheoDog Silver Supporting Member

I have worked in publishing a little and it is entirely possible the last 2-3 keystrokes caused the duplicate text and was fixed without a final save/send step. Even LeBron misses a shot once in a while. I suspect the editing quality is better than Premier Guitar which surprises me if there isn't a missed edit within each layout.