• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Tonerider or GFS P90's?

hammersig

Anyone have experience with the P90 offerings from GFS or Tonerider Pickups? I have a NGD comming up on Monday, and this will be my first P90 equipped guitar. It currently has mini -hums in it, but I already have that base covered so my plan is to do a little finish work on it, and slap in some P90's. I'm an unabashed Seymour Duncan supporter, and if all else fails, I can go with one of their offerings, but obviously the Toneriders and the GFS' are pretty affordable for a set, and the guitar they are going in isn't a valuable vintage piece. Anyone have experience with either? I've used GFS with success in the past, but not aware of their P90 offering, or that of Toneriders. Thanks!

OlAndrew

I've got an XV600, thinline tele sort of thing with GFS soapbars in it. They're really really nice, lots of good tones in there. Never tried Tonerider P90s, so I can't compare, although I have some nice AL II 'buckers from them.

hammersig

Thanks, I've done little more research and I think i'm going to give the GFS a shot. I would still love some other opinions as well!

Mark C

I have toneriders, and I've compared them with Gibsons, Duncans, Manlius, and Lollars. They actually hold up pretty well. Surprisingly well...

hammersig

Ok, secondary question. Both manufacturers (and most others I've found) have a standard "vintage pickup and a "hot" wound pickup. I'm looking for a true P90 sound, and I don't mind the hum, so I'm not looking for a stack, but I mainly use LP's with Duncan JB's so i keep wondering if a hotter pickup would balance the output level with my other guitars a bit. If I go for a hotter P90, am I going to lose much of the character of the orignal pickup? I know when I've tried hotter Strat pickups in the past, most of the time, they didn't gain much output, just became a little more whiny in tone. Suggestions now?

Check the "k" resistance on all the pups you are considering. See what most closely matches the JB and go from there. Some like a hot bridge and typically bridge positions are hotter to compensate for the distance.:D

Trending Topics

Top Bottom