Tonerider Pickups?

DrSilentFart

Hi

Are Tonerider Pickups any good? How do they compare to Fender, dimarzio, Seymour Duncan etc...?

I'm just curious as they're very cheap, and I've heard them being mentioned a lot.

Any help will be appreciated, thanks. :)

OlAndrew

Got a pair of the Alnico II humbuckers in a Japanese 330 sort of thing. Very rich tone, mellow and woody in the neck, almost horn like in the bridge. These replaced several sets of GFS in succession, as I sought my tone.

Note: I play mostly cleans, and my ideal tone would be Larry Carlton doing rhythm on a slow blues, or BB king on lead.

Full Monty

Supported a band locally a few months ago and the lead guitarist had replaced the stock humbuckers on his Gibson Les Paul with Toneriders because they gave him a slightly toppier, les mid-range heavy, sound. He wanted that because the vocalist played rhythm guitar using a Les Paul and he needed to cut through the mix. For the price, and based on what little I've heard, I can't fault them.

captain_bob

I have a set of uncovered zebra Tonerider Generators. This is just my opinion and my experience could be totally different from someone else.

I go back and forth on whether or not I like them. Even though they are a good pickups (better than current stock Gibsons) I don't like the bridge pickup as well as Duncans or Dimarzios with a similar resistance (15-16k iirc). Too me, the Bridge pickup seems a bit muddy playing through my Mesa Dual Recifier. I tend to like my bridge pickups a little tighter/more compressed.

On the other hand though, the neck pickup is very nice and creamy. I can't think of anything bad to say about it. On par with a 70s era Dimarzio neck pickup.

Trending Topics