Tones off Pearl Jam's "Ten"

SFW

So every now and then I pull an old CD from my collection and rediscover… this keeps me from having to buy new ones all the time! ;) Anyway… I’ve been listening to Pearl Jam’s Ten the past few days and have rediscovered what great tone they had on that first album. Does anyone know what they used in the way of amps for that recording? Or what is out there now that will capture that sound? I assume that it was probably old Marshal heads- as that was during the “retro craze,” however I’m not sure. What current production amp will get me in the ball park? Saber? JMP? It was a refreshing tone that wasn’t gained out over the top. Anyway…I’d love to hear your thought on what amp will get that sound.

Cheers!

Joel

Sonic Reducer

That cd was recorded in around 90 or 91. Stone Gossard didn't start using Matchless amps until Vitalogy, the third record, in 1994-95

Laroosco!

Originally posted by mjpisat
That cd was recorded in around 90 or 91. Stone Gossard didn't start using Matchless amps until Vitalogy, the third record, in 1994-95
Great tones on a crappy album :(

Originally posted by Lerxst2112
I happen to like Vitalogy.
Me too. I was nailing some PJ tones with my Matchless SC-30 and the FoxRox ZIM pedal. They've always been one of my favorite bands, especially live.

the_Chris

It's All Been Done Before
Silver Supporting Member
Pearl Jam is one of my favorite bands :)

I wish I could get a hold of a Trentino amp :eek:

MightyGuru

I read long ago that for Ten both guitarists were using JCM800s and Fender Tweed amps with an Ernie Ball pedal to fade/mix the two amps together.

Trending Topics