• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Tones - Storyville, David Grissom, David Holt.

Tarmac

:huhI'm probably going to be a loner on this, but, is anyone familiar with Storyville, with guitarists David Holt and David Grissom?

The album Dog years for instance, I want to know what gear was used.

I think I can remember seeing a picture of David Holt's board and he had a Klon on it.

Does he get that beautiful clean, fat and sparkly tone from his Klon, a marshall and a strat?

Any discussion about this, I'll be very appreciative. ;)

ruger9

Silver Supporting Member
Grissom? Never heard of him.. :bonk

Seriously- he's one of my (and many people here) faves. Lots of info on youtube about his gear... look for vids with him and Paul Reed Smith together, just recently he did a 2-or-3 video interview where he goes thru his gear.

To sum it up:

PRS guitars
old Marshalls, Matchless, Badcat, and now PRS amps.
He uses overdrives alot, but the gain isn't set very high- most of his gain comes from the amp- ODs I have seen him use: Fulldrive pre-mosfet, klon, Barber LTD-SR, EP Booster, Plimsoul...

The big (and I mean BIG) key to his tone is that he uses a hybrid picking technique, using his right hand fingers ALOT, which gives him that warm throaty low-mids growl that's hard to get with a pick. Bottom line: Grissom always has that tone, regardless of what he's plugged into.

Tarmac

Yes I agree, he'll always sound like himself.

Although, I'm talking more about the tones and playing on 'Dog years' by Storyville. Maybe it's more David Holt's playing.

I'm not after Grissom's tone, maybe it's more Holt's. I know about Grissom's tone nowadays, I have both his solo albums too, and watched countless interviews. He's one of my favourite players too! very unique and very easy to identify his sound.

Are you familiar with the album [Dog years]? - it's awesome. Guitar tones are amazing. Lyrics, singing [Malford Milligan], drumming and bass [SRV's double trouble]..

Tracks I'm interesting in are:-

- There's a light [written in respect to SRV may I add ;)]
- Talk to me
- Who's left standing

David Holt seems less accesible regarding gear used during the 90s.

Sammo

Guitar Player had article on them when Dog Years came out. I remember Grissom said that he used Park instead of 50 Watt Marshall on that record, so I google "David Grissom Dog Years Park" and found this:
http://www.vintageguitar.com/2873/david-grissom-and-david-holt/

I kinda remember from Guitar Player that Holt said that he used Tube Driver. I think it's October issue from 1998 if anybody can find it.

Blues Lyne

I got to open for Storyville at Fat Cats in Cincinnati. I guess it was sometime just after A Piece of Your Soul came out. Unfortunately other than Strat and Marshall, I couldn't tell you for sure what David Holt used. From most of the things I've read, his rig hasn't changed much over the years. He's said he's not big on pedals. I think he uses a 50 watt non-master Marshall, a Klon and a Tube Driver.

This thread may help https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/1038159

Great band for sure and both Davids are great players with killer tone. They were the first band I saw after moving to California in '98, touring in support of Dog Years. Between Storyville, ARC Angels, Ian Moore and Joe Ely Live at the Liberty Lunch, Texas, and Austin in particular, were a huge part of my music listening in the 90's and inspired the band I was in (Medicine Hat) to write this...

[SOUNDCLOUD]http://soundcloud.com/blueslyne/medicine-hat-02-austin[/SOUNDCLOUD]

Last edited:

SlaminSam

Silver Supporting Member
David uses lots of amps and different pedals. Go to http://davidgrissom.com/ he talks about his gear. He has a blog on the gear he used on the last CD and his new pedalboard. I have seen him several times in the last couple of years and he has been using the PRS amps live (usually a Super Dallas or 25th Anniversary). David seems kinda of hidden and yuou do not see much about him. David's a great players and I suggest listening to Joe Ely's "Live at Liberty Lunch" which has some great Gissom playing on it.

ToneRanger72

I really like Piece of Your Soul - that and Dog Years are chock full of tasty tones and tasteful playing.
Good stuff.

fr8_trane

Silver Supporting Member
Here's everything you need to know about Grissoms toneful approach and rig right from the horses mouth. The amp and pedals are almost irrelevant as he as used many over the years. That said I still think the 100 watt marshall super bass used on Live at Liberty lunch delivered his his best tone.

SlaminSam

Silver Supporting Member
"That said I still think the 100 watt marshall super bass used on Live at Liberty lunch delivered his his best tone."

I could not agree with you more on the Live at Liberty Lunch Tone. I also think the solo on Letter to LA has got to be one of the best Solo's ever.

BTW Tarmac you are not a loner on this one.

Tarmac

You guys are awesome for posting info in this thread for me/everyone! Thanks a lot.

I also liked the fact that Mr. Holt used a sharpie pen on his Klon, made me chuckle.

I did have my suspicions that their tones would mainly come from a decent amp and a decent guitar with perhaps one or two effects.

Now that I know Grissom used a Gretsch on Dog Years, I can actually identify parts in songs he used it on. I always used to wonder how those tones could have come from a solid body like a PRS or strat.

Lovely stuff, I love Dog years, I think it's their best. It's just a beautiful album.

Last edited:

jtw

I have seen Storyville more times than I can count (man, I love living in Texas), and Holt's gear is indeed pretty straight ahead. First time I saw them right after the first record came out, Holt was using his vintage RW neck Strat with a Tube Driver into a RI Tweed Bassman. Grissom was using a purple Hendrix tribute half stack, an Echoplex, and a TC Line Booster/Distortion. You couldn't even hear poor Holt. But Grissom's tone was RRRROARINGLY good.

Every time after that, Holt had a Strat, a tele, the 50 watt Marshall on a 4x12, Klon, Tube Driver, and TC Chorus modded by Bill Webb in Austin.

And now the OP's original question: Stephen Bruton produced 'Dog Years' and I'm pretty sure his three Dumbles can be heard all over that record. Also I'm sure the Daves used their Marshalls and smaller Fender and Gibson amps. Holt had his black, maple neck CS Strat by this point too, so I'm sure it's on there a bunch.

'Lucky' is a real gem of a song on that record, and a Holt tune to boot.

Tarmac

Are you a guest member? or have you paid for full access?
Sometimes it's limited if you haven't paid for the service.
I got a free invite from a friend that has Spotify, but it was limited with some artists. :huh

kirk95

Jazz Lines You Can Use in the Blues
:huhI'm probably going to be a loner on this, but, is anyone familiar with Storyville, with guitarists David Holt and David Grissom?

The album Dog years for instance, I want to know what gear was used.

I think I can remember seeing a picture of David Holt's board and he had a Klon on it.

Does he get that beautiful clean, fat and sparkly tone from his Klon, a marshall and a strat?

Any discussion about this, I'll be very appreciative. ;)

Come to Austin and go to the Saxson Pub....

I just moved down here a couple months ago.... I've seen Grissom, Holt and Malford 20x in all kinds of configurations. Holt plays at 6:30p every thursday with his band Eightysixed. Grissom plays Tuesdays at 6:30p with his 4 piece (it's been on a month off a month). Malford and his band every other Friday....

The Saxson is small little venue/bar seats like 100 max....

Check my facebook for all kinds of photos of these gigs....

tmac65

I just saw David Grissom at the Saxon Pub on a business trip. First thing I did after he set up was check out his board. I talked to him about the missing Plimsoul. Last night he posted a picture of his board on Twitter. The EP Booster is also missing. He has a SP Comp that he says is rarely on. He had a Telos, chorus and M9 on the board. The Telos sounded great, but then most things will through the PRS amp he was using.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom