Tonestyler VS. CTS tone pot with high end capacitor

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by lightningsmith, Apr 10, 2008.

1. lightningsmith

lightningsmith Member

I'm interested in the Stellartone Tonestyler but the price for one is more expensive than the RS Guitarworks prewired assembly.

But aside from that, how does the Tonestyler hold up against traditional tone pots?

Anyone here finds a good tone pot with audiophile-quality capacitor like Hovland and Bumblebee caps good enough?

I'm especially interested because I wanna perform an electronics overhaul on my LP and I roll off the tone knobs alot while in overdrive to achieve the "Woman" tone.

2. Speed_Racer71

Speed_Racer71 Member

been curious on the tonestyler myself

3. Prititing

Prititing Member

Nice thing to have. It's not the same as an regular tone pot, it's more subtle at the extreme setting. That video on their site is very true to reality sound wise. But it's very hard to move between positions, so if you use controls a lot while playing, it's not that great. Required 2 fingers, i couldn't move it with only my pinky finger. Nice sounds thou. I removed mine after 6 months.

4. Brett Valentine

Brett Valentine Member

I tried one. Wasn't crazy about the way it worked as I constantly use my tone pot. Tried it with the additional special volume pot to reduce the effect as the volume was rolled back a bit.

I figured out that it would work better for me as a cap selector and actually wire it to a dedicated tone pot so that I would get 15 different caps to work with. If the tone pot were push/pull, I could then also take the tone pot completely out of the circuit.

That's for my next project.

5. bluesrules

bluesrules Member

Let us know what kind of guitars you guys tried them on.

6. Brett Valentine

Brett Valentine Member

Tried it on a Hamer SATQ w/DUncan Jazz(n)/Pearly Gates(b) and a Carvin DC-135 (koa) Hot Rails(n), stock middle, Duncan Custom Custom(b).

7. Prititing

Prititing Member

2001 LP Standard in the bridge position, with a RS superpot for volume.