Tongue-in-cheek complaint about wife. Anybody else's spouse like this?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Tylenol Jones, Apr 16, 2015.

1. Tylenol Jones

Tylenol Jones Member

She's awesome through and through but there is one quality that bothers me like no other that unfortunately bleeds onto every aspect of our lives ; she's not observant at all.

Because of this, she'll throw stuff into the dishwasher haphazardly, leave every light on, not notice food going bad in the fridge, not realize consequences that are about to happen (such as picking up an item that has something on top - that thing will fall on the ground), etc.

There are just so many different shades of how unobservant she can be that I could name examples of this 'til the cows come home. It can oftentimes be amusing but occasionally irritating and even frustrating as I have to pick up after her or close everything. I hear things fall on the floor a handful of times a day on hardwood floors. Years of this will sometimes make one sigh. lol!

Anybody else struggle with a great spouse who just can't seem to notice things or see what will happen before they do it?

2. sanrico

sanrico Member

Haha! I feel your pain!

My wife has a little bit of this when she's not engaged in something. It's one of the things I really love about her, though... small things don't get under her skin. She doesn't notice bad service as quickly as me, or a lousy driver, or if there's someone annoying in a movie theater.

It's a trade-off that I'm willing to bear, as the other side of it is really great!

3. beachbum0711

beachbum0711 Supporting Member

4. CosmicCowboy

CosmicCowboy Member

My wife is the same. I still tease her about making her own vodka once. "Where are these gnats coming from?" "Just a guess, but I'd say the partially liquified potatoes they're circling."

And don't even get me started on how she "matches" socks.

5. AParrotLooksAt4O

AParrotLooksAt4O Member

I could name a couple things, but she could name way more things that I do.

She usually hurts herself the same way when doing something; shredding cheese and nipping a knuckle, hair curler burns, etc. I usually shred the cheese from now on.

At least she doesn't put the oats and brown sugar in the fridge and the milk and eggs in the pantry after breakfast in the morning then leave for work. I've done that more times than I can count.

6. TheoDog

TheoDog Silver Supporting Member

I think of it as tunnel vision. She is so focused on being awesome that the little details are just background.
    I am an observer. Wife, not so much.
    Our laugh this morning was she forget to set timer for the French press. It was like an adventure.

7. Fishyfishfish

Fishyfishfish Member

Yessssssssssssssssss. Cupboards being left open (I got a nice black eye) dresser drawers not shut all the way (three broken toes when I ran into it in the dark) slipped on her Lycra running pants in the laundry room- try to catch myself but end up putting my hand through back door window (19 stitches). Let's just say now days I am very carful when I walk through the house.

8. antigua

antigua Member

What a stupid quote.

9. Peteyvee

Peteyvee Premium Platinum Member

Maybe, but it was a great movie...

10. Analog Delay

Analog Delay I Judge Books By Covers Silver Supporting Member

Amen, brother.

And the line that she so frequently says makes it even more frustrating:

"I never would have thought of that."

11. sanrico

sanrico Member

Agreed.

12. Doodad

Doodad Member

All. Day. Long.

To the point I say "honey if you do X then Y is going to happen." "I'm doing it my way." Y happens. I walk away.

13. SlyStrat

SlyStrat Supporting Member

Mine is the same. Its very annoying.
    She's not dumb either, she has a doctorate in psychology.

14. AParrotLooksAt4O

AParrotLooksAt4O Member

[​IMG]

15. eflatminor

eflatminor Member

Same problem for me. The wife is smart (got straight As in High School/College) but she just doesn't pay attention to so many things.

My pet name for her is "Shug" (short for Sugar I suppose), so whenever I see something she's missed, I say "Hey look, a Shuggie sign!", as though I'm a tracker in the wild hunting the elusive Shug-monster.

Makes her laugh, and brings to her attention her seemingly inability to screw the cap...on anything (one of many examples).

She seems to catch herself more and more, so perhaps this tact will work for you. Either way, good luck.

16. bayAreaDude

bayAreaDude Member

Unobservant? Sounds like she just doesn't care and that includes how her behavior impacts you.

17. M138

M138 100% Fenriz Approved

Umm... Ok? <Awkward silence and bewilderment>

18. 84superchamp

84superchamp Silver Supporting Member

i thought my wife was the only one in the world like that. i come home late at night and all these lights are on (except the one that's supposed to be on), the living room tv is on and she's in bed asleep.
    eat the cheese in a hurry because it is never re-wrapped correctly and goes stale. she actually hits the trash can every 3rd or 4th time..i pick up the rest. i won't even start on the shower...

19. dlguitar64

dlguitar64 Member

I honestly don't understand how people can tolerate living with another person.

20. sbrett

sbrett Member

Uh guys, that's not called being unobservant. It's called being lazy. My wife is afflicted with this as well.