• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Tonight I put my amp in my office off stage...

princetonreverb

It was amazing. My sound guy suggested for the long run of cable from my pedalboard to my amp that I use 2 direct boxes with an xlr for the main run. It's not terribly long, maybe 30 feet. We shut the door of my office about 90 percent and mic'd her up with a 609 and put it in my in-ears and the wedges for some presence. I turned my AST up to about 7, where it's really touch responsive with buckers. Probably the best live tone I've ever had. If only there was a better way at clubs, where unfortunately I have to office just offstage...
just thought I'd share

any suggestions for the run of cable?

He put his amp in a office/room off stage. So he could crank the amp and not effect the sound on stage. SRV and others are rumored to have done this a LOT.

I'd say, if you truely enjoy this sound, have a cable maker make you a custom 30ft. cable. Someone like Buck at Bayou cables, so the quality is great and you don't get too much loss over the long length of cable. It would probably be kinda expensive, but you'd only really need one.

As for not having an "office" at every gig, you could always invest in an isolation cabinet of some sort.

ninjadave7

A 30ft. cable would be fine if you have some kind of buffer at the end of your chain to push a low impedance signal that far. if you have a bunch of true-bypass pedals before the cable you'll lose a lot of tone (mainly hi-freq) if you don't buffer. any boss/ibanez pedal at the end would do it, or you can buy/build dedicated buffers. a high quality cable of any kind, high quality meaning low capacitance cable like mogami, canare, etc. is definitely important but without a buffer you're still going to hear a lot of loss.

TimH

Silver Supporting Member
It was amazing. My sound guy suggested for the long run of cable from my pedalboard to my amp that I use 2 direct boxes with an xlr for the main run. It's not terribly long, maybe 30 feet. We shut the door of my office about 90 percent and mic'd her up with a 609 and put it in my in-ears and the wedges for some presence. I turned my AST up to about 7, where it's really touch responsive with buckers. Probably the best live tone I've ever had. If only there was a better way at clubs, where unfortunately I have to office just offstage...
just thought I'd share

any suggestions for the run of cable?
what do you mean 2 direct boxes? Does one of them have xlr in?

Trending Topics