Tony Bennett

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Turbo Gerbil, Jan 30, 2012.

1. Turbo Gerbil

Turbo Gerbil Member

just watched the 90 minutes special on PBS:Great Performances documenting the recording of his Duets II album. I assume they will be rebroadcasting it, it's well worth watching. There are interviews and full live recordings from all of his sessions except the one with Mariah Carey. This guy is something else... just the fact that he sounds so good and is going so strong still at 85 is impressive. And it just comes through that he completely loves music. I'm gonna have to work on my Tony Bennett collection.

some performances from the show:

2. tsar nicholas

tsar nicholas Member

The "Unplugged" record seriously changed my life. Of course, the drum mastery of Clayton Cameron had something to do with it along with Bennett's peerless singing.

3. MR.K

MR.K Member

Thanks for all of those clips. I've been trying to catch the Duets broadcast on TV.

4. sausagefingers

sausagefingers Supporting Member

I like the tone of his voice and the dedication to the American Songbook.

He always was kind of at the foot of Frank's altar, but he does get credit for carrying the torch.

5. bickertfan

bickertfan Member

Wow those are great. The Lady Gaga one is killing - that's a revelation for me for sure. Tony still sounds really good at 85 amazing.

6. Turbo Gerbil

Turbo Gerbil Member

She needs to do an album of Showtune standards sometime as a side project. It would be killer.

I don't think a lot of people realize just how good Queen Latifah is either.

7. bbutler123

bbutler123 Member

Lady Gaga's performance with him simply blew me away. I couldn't believe she could perform that well.

Couldn't believe it. :)

I heard her do an interview with Paris Hilton once, and I thought she was an empty head, to put it nicely.

I was so wrong.

8. Turbo Gerbil

Turbo Gerbil Member

When I first heard this album I wasn't too much a fan of Willie Nelsons song, but it grew on me. I can't seem to find a clip of that one online though.

9. Turbo Gerbil

Turbo Gerbil Member

Early in her career she put on a somewhat vapid and particularly quirky act during interviews, for whatever reason. Part of the "character" I guess which she abandoned pretty soon after.

10. jazzrat

jazzrat Member

I thought the show was terrific. And even though I don't consider myself a fan....
    Lady Gaga was the highlight for me. Great vocal chops. playful attitude and interaction with Mr. Bennett.

11. guitarjazz

guitarjazz Member

Check out the Tony and Bill Evans recordings.

12. Turbo Gerbil

Turbo Gerbil Member

The guy that surprised me was Josh Groban. For some reason it had completely escaped me that he had that kind of a voice.