• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Tony Bennett's guitarist is FANTASTIC!

Niblos

My wife and I caught Tony Bennett live at Durham's DPAC this past Friday and let me tell you, if anyone has tickets for an upcoming show - you are in for a treat as well as one brilliant guitarist! Gray Sargent is just amazing and really interacts with Bennett in such a way that will leave you breathless (sometimes even as a duo). You can really appreciate those p-90s in Sargent's hands.

At 86, Bennett has lost some of his voice but needless to say, the man still has it! Heck, the whole band is simply brilliant but I am going to do some digging for Gray Sargent on the net. As Tony says, "He's the BEST!" Do yourself a favor and check him out.

Live review:
http://blogs.newsobserver.com/beat/tony-bennett-plays-durham

Live footage from 2009:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6N_cv4X5gVY

Last edited:

tsar nicholas

Bennett is a great, and he always picks the best for his bands. I remember seeing Clayton Cameron in his 90s band and being like DAMN that is what drums are all about

bob-i

According to that article he's 86.

I saw him a few years ago and yes, all 4 of the musicians were amazing.

stevel

I wouldn't expect any less to be honest. IMHO, Bennett is "the last from the era" - sure there are still some living but Bennett has remained active and despite the natural loss of voice with age, he's still been able to artistically use what he does have to create good music. Class.

Chris Scott

Last of the old guard. Given his body of work, I wouldn't expect any less in the sideman dept - cream o' the crop..

Hope Macca's around as long - sheesh, time marches on....

Niblos

I totally agree - Bennett is "the last of an era" much like Vincent Price was last of the "classic" horror genre.

Pietro

2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy
Bennett.

Best pop vocalist ever. No contest.

And yes, he gets AMAZING musicians.

paulbearer

An old friend (Ernie Calabria) who passed away a few years ago was one of Tony's excellent guitarists in the 60's/70's. Played a '56 Black Beauty and a Coral Sitar! He also played for Harry Belafonte.
I met Tony a few times over the years along the way. Great voice and presence, and was engaging to speak with. Behind the scenes, you could tell he was a tough as nails businessman as well.

Jp2558

Awesome - thanks for the heads up. The wife and I are going to see him this Saturday in Windsor, Ontario.

:band

Trending Topics