• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Tony Lewis, Lead Singer of The Outfield, Dies at 62

HoboMan

Gold Supporting Member
Huge Loss. I just heard the news on my ride home from work. The Professor of Rock already has a semi-tribute video for Tony. Another coming soon.

Tony is my all time favorite singer. Not only was the first album great but they had more albums that were also amazing.
I love the guitar tones on Play Deep. That last cover band I was in played "Your Love" and I really tried to get those Fender tones.

It's a sad day.

fusionbear

exquirentibus veritatem
Platinum Supporting Member
Another fan. RIP...

Covered a few of their tunes back in the day. I used to be able to sing that high....

MattC

Man, missed this news today until I saw professor of rock’s video in my subscriptions on YT. RIP. Tony and John Spinks (RIP also) were a great team. So much songwriting prowess. Great sense of melody and hooks. Shame I never got to see them.

Mario C.

I LOVE The Outfield.
Four chord songs but so well crafted with great melodies, killer hooks and a great vibe, I love John Spinks' sound and style, so underrated, Tony's voice is so recognizable, a lot of folks dismiss them as a one hit wonder but what a hit haha, they also made some great records, I wish I could write like that, simple yet amazing songs.
Voices of Babylon is such a great song, love the sound and the guitars on that one.

RIP Tony and John.

chillybilly

Four chord songs but so well crafted with great melodies, killer hooks and a great vib, I love John Spinks' sound and style, so underrated,
Voices of Babylon is such a great song, love the sound and the guitars on that one.
At the risk of TGP-fying a memorial thread, it seems/seemed that the signature Outfield guitar sound was an out-of-phase quack tone with the obligatory dash of chorus and delay. The closest I ever got was a Strat in the usual 4th switch position but it sounded more Bryan Adams than anything.

The videos usually have them with some form of custom Tele-shaped guitars with what are presumably humbuckers and presumably out of phase? At the time I thought the Tele shape even in vivid colors was a bit old-fashioned but that was before I owned a Tele.

As a follow-up question, the band were billed as a three-piece but a second guitarist who closely resembled Spinks is usually present.

misterg71

The premier Hack Guitarist
Silver Supporting Member
I always liked The Outfield. RIP Mr. Lewis. I had “Play Deep” on LP and it was all over my turntable my first year of High School. That would have been ‘85/‘86.

Last edited:

HoboMan

Gold Supporting Member
At the risk of TGP-fying a memorial thread, it seems/seemed that the signature Outfield guitar sound was an out-of-phase quack tone with the obligatory dash of chorus and delay. The closest I ever got was a Strat in the usual 4th switch position but it sounded more Bryan Adams than anything.

The videos usually have them with some form of custom Tele-shaped guitars with what are presumably humbuckers and presumably out of phase? At the time I thought the Tele shape even in vivid colors was a bit old-fashioned but that was before I owned a Tele.

As a follow-up question, the band were billed as a three-piece but a second guitarist who closely resembled Spinks is usually present.
I get very close to that tone on my Carvin using the neck humbucker in split coil mode.

Yes, they were a 3-piece but used a second guitarist and keyboaridist when playing live. You can see these two other "members" in the Your Love video.

Later on when they toured after a long hiatus they toured as a 3-piece and John mostly used Gibsons and did not get the great Fender tone from the Play Deep album.

Good voice and actually a very good bassist also.
He just released a new CD last year and was to be out touring.
Bummed and praying for his family.

Trending Topics