Tony Robbins meets Yngwie

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by GtrWiz, Feb 6, 2012.

1. GtrWiz

GtrWiz Member

I found the first 10 minutes to be inspirational and true. No matter what you're trying to accomplish.

2. thornie

thornie Supporting Member

I actually bought this guys program last week. He is an amazing motivator and his teaching techniques and advise aren't exactly mainstream or what is considered as "correct". For instance, he advocates practicing while the TV is on in order to get through monotonous practice routines.

He is a bit of cheese ball but he generally cares and really wants you to be able to play like him. His website has TONS of free information and contains pretty much everything that is in the DVD set. The only difference is you get more "licks" to practice on the DVD. I'm not crazy about his playing but when you are developing technique, you have to approach it like weight lifting and he has that down, not to mention perfect technique.

3. parker

parker Member

That was very nice! Thanks.... really can be applied to so many other disciplines, a good reminder.

4. djdrdave

djdrdave Member

I'll have to watch this after work, sounds interesting

5. Archangelyabbo

Archangelyabbo Member

Two Hands - Check
    Ten Fingers - Check
    Intact Brain - Well....ok Check...

This guy is fantastic. I feel better already.

6. germanicus

germanicus Member

I agree mostly with this guys premise, but in reality everyone reflex/response/learning time and capability are not all 'equal'.

At issue is that the early formative years of a childs life can heavily influence their later manual dexterity. Its why its critical with suzuki method to start at such an early age.

Its much easier and quicker to learn an instrument, or language, when starting at a very early age. Its about the brain being in a stage of neurological development/learning. The 'critical period' is mainly from birth to age 5 and the brain continues to develop up until age 20. During this time it is more 'responsive' to developing skills.

Im not sure if you could state that the end point goal (say of learning to sweep pick like frank gambale) can not be achieved by someone who starts playing guitar at 30 compared to someone starting at age 5, but i think it takes alot more time to train the adult brain.

7. phillygtr

phillygtr Member

There's truth to that I'm sure. I think much of it boils down to the "10,000" hours concept i.e. "the key to success in any field is, to a large extent, a matter of practicing a specific task for a total of around 10,000 hours." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outliers_(book)

When I was a teen with no job, mom & dad paying for everything, coming home from school after 3:30pm and practicing for several hours a day, I got pretty good at the instrument. No other distractions -- wife, kids nothing. Just guitar was all I cared about. It's hard to play 5 hours every day at age 37.

8. thornie

Owning most this guys products, a lot of what he teaches focuses on the concept of critical mass. In other words, according to him - practicing intensely and correctly for 2 weeks will make you improve leaps and bounds over the guy that practices 45 mins a day for a whole year... Even if you don't play much at all after those two weeks. There's a whole blog he wrote about this. Much of what he teaches is geared toward those who have full time jobs, families, and other responsibilities. It's kind of like P90x for guitar. Cram and hit it as hard as you can for a small period of time and reap the benefits.

9. GAD

GAD Wubbalubbadubdub Silver Supporting Member

10. tiktok

tiktok Supporting Member

I was hoping this was the "Tom Robbins meets Yngwie" thread.

11. loudboy

loudboy Member

How about "Yngwie meets Baskin-Robbbins?"

[​IMG]

12. Twitchey

Twitchey Member

me too!:rotflmao

13. Twitchey

Twitchey Member

btw - I personally find the term 'legato' to be almost oxymornic in terms of 'shred' style guitar. I come from a classical background where Legato implies not just a continual flow of articulated notes ... but that these notes should exude a smooth quality (tone and expression) which I almost never hear in the context of shred style guitar. So much treble, so much bite (despite the fact the notes are not picked) that the notes may have well been picked (to my ears).

I do like what this guy is saying though ... positive stuff

14. phillygtr

phillygtr Member

Of course the quality of your practice time matters. I'm not talking about 10,000 hours of noodling. 2 weeks of intense correct practice, followed by another 2 weeks, then another etc. will get you there faster than 2 weeks then stopping. 45 minutes of good practice every day will trump 2 weeks then stoppage (what for the rest of the year???) any day.

15. Arc Angel

Arc Angel Member

16. thornie

His name is Claus Sepstrup. He is a Danish musician and motivational speaker. You can follow his blog here...

http://www.thewizardofshred.com/

Like I said earlier, he is a bit of a cheese ball, so try not to let the inexplicable images of hot models everywhere distract you. Haha.

17. Arc Angel

Arc Angel Member

18. Robert1950

Robert1950 Member

I was expecting Yngwie to look up at Tony and say "Now I will show you how I taught God to play guitar little boy."

19. SamBooka

SamBooka Member

My first guitar teacher said do the E1234 A1234 D1234 G1234 etc etc 5 min a day... couldnt do it until I started watching Three's Company (and later the Quaker version.. Thee's Company). Then I was doing it until commercial.. then try and pick out the music from the commercials (in less than 30 seconds) and back to the E4321 A4321 D4321 etc etc..

My playing improved not overnight.. but within a week.

20. Jim S

Jim S Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

worthy of bump IMHO