Tony Williams, with Allan Holdsworth splitting the atom!!!

Khromo

Silver Supporting Member
Tony Williams Lifetime feat. Allan Holdsworth "Scirocco" - YouTube

Warning: The first two minutes are not representative, so if you fast forward to about 1:55 you will get to Allan going nuts!

This music was made to be played loud. Holy ******* ****!!!

Tony Williams, Allan Holdsworth, Jack Bruce,...Allan is on fire, just blowing up. I'm going to listen to this a million times.

Last edited:

Jazzandmore

Platinum Supporting Member
I've saw Allan multiple times playing in a small artist studio in San Diego. Maybe 100 people in the room. You hear what he's doing, but when you look at his hands it's not a lot of gymnastics. It's mind boggling watching him play as you hear the notes pouring forth.

Khromo

Silver Supporting Member
I think a lot of what's happening on Scirocco is Tony Williams. A lot of musicians have spoken about how it felt to be propelled by his drumming. Greatly underappreciated outside the jazz world.

He did have some weird ideas about vocals. Some of the most bizarre vocal performances I've heard were on Lifetime records!

megawzrd

Silver Supporting Member
My favorite track on that album. I agree the drumming is what propells Holdsworth into that amazing funky lead. I used to love trying to play this one too...though I bow out around the 3 min mark and just listen to the might H.

Ozone Baby

^^^
Allan's last recorded solo that we know of.

How fortunate we are to have been here at the same time as Allan. I hope everyone who saw him live appreciates that they were witnessing a one in a million talent.

RIP

pbognar

Tony Williams Lifetime feat. Allan Holdsworth "Scirocco" - YouTube

Warning: The first two minutes are not representative, so if you fast forward to about 1:55 you will get to Allan going nuts!

This music was made to be played loud. Holy ******* ****!!!

Tony Williams, Allan Holdsworth, Jack Bruce,...Allan is on fire, just blowing up. I'm going to listen to this a million times.
You can hear Allan saying goodbye to bending and the blues, and becoming his unique voice.

radicool

That's insane. I've been playing for decades, and I still can't figure out how Holdsworth plays at light speed and still makes every note crystal clear, articulate, and meaningful. I only saw him live once, but it was a cool show at a fairly small club. Not sure who was in his band at that time. (early 2000s) BTW, he was an amazingly laid back guy that night. The band took two breaks, and one of the guys I was with was a smoker, so on those breaks we went out front of the club to the sidewalk to he could have a smoke. Turns out that Holdsworth was a smoker, too, and he also came out there both times and stood around with the 5 or 6 of us and chatted lightly. He was a pretty quiet dude, laughed at our jokes, and nobody passing by recognized him as a famous guy. I think it also helped that none of us geeked out or said anything uncomfortable, and I think he appreciated being treated as just another guy hanging on the sidewalk.

NorCal_Val

I sort of wish I’d heard Holdsworth’s playing on the Tony Williams stuff, before I heard the “IOU” album, ‘cause it would’ve given me a little background on his playing.
That solo in “Scirocco” is breathtaking. But it also shows his development as a player. You can hear similarities to solos he played on the U.K. album, as well as the symmetrical ideas he used.(that EVH “borrowed”!) And, those chromatic runs are ridiculous. What a monster player.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom