Too many OD's ?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by dmbandtimmy, Feb 5, 2006.

1. dmbandtimmy

dmbandtimmy Member

I just got on the list for the TIM and I am pumped! I currently have a FD2 and Keeley TS9dx in the line up for OD and am thinking about adding a Keeley BD-2 from a forum member. Do you guys think I would be gaining any ground by getting the BD-2. I haven't played the BD-2 in along time and a guy that used to teach me guitar off and on used to have one and loved the thing stock. He played for a bunch of country artists including Tim McGraw.

Anyways, recently I picked up the John Mayer Trio cd and he uses a BD-2 in his setup and that peaked my interest in the pedal again. I really like the raw bluesy sound he is getting. But, I hate to have 4 different OD's on the board if they will cover the same territory. It just seems to me that 4 OD's on a board seems a little "over board" too. :D If you guys have any suggestions I would really appreciate it. Thanks!

2. erksin

erksin Member

I'd wait until your Tim shows up - I replaced a Keeley BD-2 with the Timmy and never looked back...

3. lcjc800

lcjc800 Member

Did you say 4?!?!?
    [​IMG]:dude
    Step away from the board son.

4. drolling

drolling Member

A buddy of mine simply swapped out all the parts of his BD2 for higher grade components - big improvement for minimal cost..

4 dirt pedals on your board's not excessive.. Got 5 on mine

5. michael patrick

michael patrick Supporting Member

There is no such thing as too many ODs....

6. Jeff Flowerday

Jeff Flowerday Member

Variety is the spice of life. But there should be a limit to how many you have on your board, each one sucks just a little more the signal even the true bypass. Every now and then everyone needs to plug straight in and remember how much more responsive she can be.

:RoCkIn

7. LouRossi

LouRossi Member

Right on Jeff. :BEER

8. mavrick10_2000

mavrick10_2000 Member

I'd have to agree with just about everyone else here...4 is not too many - unless you really don't use them at all. And in that case just consider yourself a "collector" ;)

I think OD/Distortion/Fuzz really help shape a lot of players personal sound, or for a particular song or style. It gives more options for different styles of music, and all without tweaking the knobs for every few songs.

I currently have a Barber DD, Keeley TS9DX Flexi 4x2 and a RAT2 on the way that will be Keeley modded, and Channel 2 on my F-30. I'll probably pick up a few others like the Zendrive and possibly one or two others.

9. stereotypy

stereotypy Member

so i love all your pedals on that board i think you are sick:NUTS :D

10. dmbandtimmy

dmbandtimmy Member

lcjc800, I guess 4 isn't too many after all :) I guess I will just consider myself a collector :)

Jeff, I hear you there. I love the saying "Variety is the spice of life" too. I have an instructor who always says that when it comes to working with different faculty for ideas. :) Also, I hear you with loss of tone. Currently I have a Keeley Ts9dx- FD2 - Keeley compressor - MM4 - DL4.

Thanks for all of your input. The GAS has got me. I guess I will have a 2 new OD's coming :)

11. Phil M

Phil M Supporting Member

The only time I can see so many is if they're different. For example: 1 overdrive, one fuzz and one treble booster, etc.

Oddly, I love pedals, but I rarely use them when I play, and I don't hook many up at once.

12. erksin

erksin Member

I find that I don't need as many if I find 2 or 3 that stack really well - gives me 2 or 3x as many sounds without all the extra boxes. I run 3 currently, and I'm going to add an EQ pedal soon for more flavors...

13. CBeeper

CBeeper Supporting Member

I'm running four at this point. A Barber Tone Pump II into a COT, Eternity and Klon. The range of different tones I can get mixing and matching is staggering and very inspirational. Variety is the spice of life and creativity.

14. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

How does the "list" work? Do you first pay for it, or do you submit your name and pay when the pedal is ready?

Thanks.

15. filmosound

filmosound Member

call Paul Cochrane saying you'd like to buy a Tim or Timmy. He takes down your name and phone number and puts you on a list. He calls you when the pedal is ready and you pay then. I'd imagine if you changed your mind by the time he calls you, he'd just offer the pedal to the next person on the list -- which is why a deposit isn't required.

16. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

Hey dmbandtimmy,

Think of all the countless combinations you can get from the different OD's stacked together. The idea of having many distortion devices is to give you a wide variety from which to choose from.

Do it!

17. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009

Four is one too many and one not enough.

Anyway, the conundrum solves itself when you have five OD's. ;)

18. playon

playon Supporting Member

I've said it before, and I'll say it again -- you can't be too rich, too thin, or have too many overdrive pedals.
    :BEER

19. Grant Ferstat

Grant Ferstat Some guy in obscure bands in a far away place... Silver Supporting Member

I'm going for TIM and Honey Bee plus RC Booster which should do me I think.

Everytime I've had more options than that I find I spend so much time tweaking pedals that I forget about the variation that can be achieved by changes in my attack and guitar volume.

20. telebuck

telebuck Supporting Member

By all means buy as many overdrives as you like...

BUT, I concur that the Tim and a Keeley BD-2 sound somewhat similar, or at least Tim can do what the BD-2 does, only a little better, IMHO. I sold my BD-2 as soon as I had Tim.