Too many pedals for my board...which ones to keep?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Steven White, Mar 21, 2020.

1. Steven White

Steven White Member

Hey guys! I have a dilemma...

I have a homemade pedal board that I'm looking at filling up.

Problem I have is I have limited space and too many pedals.

I'm interested in what pedals you would DEFINITELY put on the board, and which would you DEFINITELY NOT put on the board....

I am in a band that cover a lot of genres.....funk to country to pop to metal to blues.
    I'd like to have a vast array of sounds.

The pedals I own are:-
    Boss DD-3 Digital Delay
    Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble
    Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
    Boss SD-1 Super Overdrive
    Boss DS-1 Distortion
    Boss CS-3 Compressor
    Boss WL-50 Wireless System
    Vox Wah
    TC Electronic Ditto Looper
    TC Electronic Mini Spark Boost
    TC Electronic Dark Matter Distortion
    TC Electronic MojoMojo Overdrive
    TC Electronic Polytune Tuner
    Ammoon Octa Octave Pedal
    Mooer Acoustika Acoustic Simulator
    Digitech Whammy
    Big Muff Pi

Also, if you could, please tell me what order you'd put your chosen pedals in the chain....

Thanks guys!! Stay safe all of you :)

2. John Mark Painter

John Mark Painter Member

When your board gets that big...it’s time for a MultiFX.
    We can’t tell you what pedals you don’t ‘need’ but I can tell you to get an HX Effects

That’s what I did

Steven White likes this.
  3. Steven White

Steven White Member

Thanks John...

I was very tempted by the Helix.....but for now I'd really like to stick to the stomp boxes. :)

4. HERSCHEL

HERSCHEL Member

If you have a homemade board, home make a bigger one. It's not like you're going anywhere for a while. :rimshot

I'd probably go Tuner -> Wah -> Acoustikar -> Whammy -> Spark Mini -> Big Muff -> SD-1 -> DS-1 -> CS-3.

monty, neuman, manasquanto and 2 others like this.
  5. Steven White

Steven White Member

Hey, thanks! Haha, i'm can't really make a bigger board as its built to fit inside a flight case unfortunately. :)

Out of interest, can you tell me why you'd put the Big Muff before the overdrive and not after the DS1? Also, why would you put the CS3 last in the chain, I always thought it had to go straight after the tuner.....

6. golgo13

golgo13 Member

Noise Suppressor does not exist in my world c'mon man we need so noise !!!! like him

7. Steven White

Steven White Member

Love this performance!!!

8. your name here

your name here Supporting Member

Answer:

Make a new board with a hinged top deck. Place pedals you don’t need to tweak on the fly under the top deck and use a switcher/MIDI to turn them on and off.

Same sized board. More pedals. You’re welcome. :beer

Steven White likes this.
  9. Little_Wing

Little_Wing Member

10. OotMagroot

OotMagroot Supporting Member

If it were me, I'd keep:

SD-1 for Overdrive/Boost
    Dark Matter for Distortion
    Big Muff for Fuzz
    Mini Spark to Boost
    CE-5 for the Chorus
    DD-3 for the Delay

11. Vhailor

Vhailor Supporting Member

Let me propose a scientific solution to your dilemma!

Either choose the pedals so that you only have one of every color, or choose them so that they are all the same color.

As for pedal order: if you choose the multi-color route, follow the order of the spectrum: ROYGBIV.

But if choosing all the same color pedals, go from lighter shade to darker.

If you have any questions, simply re-read Newton's treatise on optics. ( https://archive.org/details/Optics_285/mode/2up or https://www.gutenberg.org/files/33504/33504-h/33504-h.htm and also see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opticks for an overview!)

Problem solved - scientifically!

: )

Last edited: Mar 22, 2020
    Steven White and golgo13 like this.
  12. HERSCHEL

HERSCHEL Member

Spark before, SD-1 after. The Spark is to push it, the SD-1 is to shape it in to a usable sound in a mix (re: add mids, as needed).

I MUCH prefer compressor after dirt.There it takes all your glorious chaos and tames it a bit, dynamically, and sustains said tone. Right after the tuner pushes a squashed signal in to your dirt. It's a preference thing.

Steven White likes this.
  13. mrpinter

mrpinter Supporting Member

First tell us how many pedals (Boss size) will fit on your board. Then I'll have some fun and make some choices.

Steven White likes this.
  14. sanfi4u

sanfi4u Silver Supporting Member

What are your Boss pedals? Versions? Production years? They changed substantially over the years.
    I'm not a fan of TC Electronic modern overdrives. And I'd swap Mini Spark Boost with a big box Spark Boost if space allows.

Steven White likes this.
  15. Steven White

Steven White Member

Hey Mr Pinter! Thank you! Ok, with the Wah and Whammy(which is huge!) on the board, i can fit 6 boss pedals on....with just the Wah i can fit 10 boss pedals........and without the Wah, 12. :)

16. Steven White

Steven White Member

Hey, to be honest I don't have a clue about versions or years of any of the pedals......I'm a newbie to all this.... :-( I know what you mean about the TC Electronic stuff though, I prefer the Boss.

sanfi4u likes this.
  17. Steven White

Steven White Member

Brilliant! Thanks! In regards to the Compressor, would you have it on all the time? If not, when would you use it? I'm new to compressors.... :-(

18. mrpinter

mrpinter Supporting Member

With Whammy & Wah:
    Whammy>Wah>Polytune>Compressor>SD-1>Big Muff>Chorus>Delay

With just the Wah (no Whammy)
    Wah>Polytune>compressor>Acoustic Simulator>Spark Boost>SD-1>Big Muff>Octave Pedal>Chorus>Delay>Ditto Looper

Without either Whammy or Wah: add a couple more drive pedals after the SD-1

19. sanfi4u

sanfi4u Silver Supporting Member

OK, then here's a helping hand :)
    Check a Serial Number on your Boss pedal and then use Boss Serial Decoder to get the Production Date.
    Now your list...
    Boss DD-3 Digital Delay - DD3 (1986-Dec 1990; MIJ (Made in Japan); Long Chip; same pedal as DD-2); DD-3A (MIT (Made in Taiwan); December 1990 – August 2001; new shorter DSP gate array chip); DD-3B (MIT; August 2001 – present; new type of DRAM; SMD based PCB); DD3 & DD-3A are recommended. Long chip DD3 is the best.
    Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble - Blue Label (MIT, Nov 1991 - ??, analog); Pink Label (MIT, ?? - Oct 2001), analog); Dark Gray Label (MIT, since Oct 2001; digital); Blue and Pink label pedals are preferable.
    Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor - MIJ - Sep 1987-Dec 1989; MIT since Dec 1989. Any ver. suits.
    Boss SD-1 Super Overdrive - MIJ Black Label in production since Feb 1981; MIT Black Label since early 1988; Silver Label (PSA compatible) since early 1997; newer black box SD-1 are SMD based since mid 2018. So I'd avoid them.
    Boss DS-1 Distortion - Black Label, MIJ (1978-1988); Black Label, MIT (1988-1994); Silver Label, MIT (1994-2000- Rev.2; 2000-2006- Rev.3; 2006-2016 – Rev.4); since June 2017- DS-1 (B) SMD based pedal (avoid it).
    Boss CS-3 Compressor - Black Label, MIJ (Sep 1986-1988); Black Label, MIT (1988-1997); Silver Label, MIT (1997-now); minor design variations in 90s. But essentially pedal design stayed the same. I didn't hear about SMD versions yet . I have 2 CS-3 compressors (1988 and 1994). They are capable compressors. So I suggest you to keep yours.
    Hope this helps a bit. Now it's your turn. :)

SubApathy likes this.
  20. peter_heijnen

peter_heijnen Member

Boss WL-50 Wireless System
    Vox Wah
    Boss CS-3 Compressor
    TC Electronic Polytune Tuner
    Boss SD-1 Super Overdrive
    TC Electronic Dark Matter Distortion
    TC Electronic MojoMojo Overdrive
    TC Electronic Mini Spark Boost
    Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble