Too many pedals

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by usc96, May 18, 2006.

1. usc96

usc96 Member

How many pedals is too many in a rig? I mean, at some point you notice a compromise with your sound. Have you found an optimal number of pedals you do not like to exceed?

2. msp

msp Member

well not for sound quality...but for other reasons i have limited my giging board

i bought a pedal train pro pedal board and made the promise to myself that if it can't fit on my board and if its not an investment buy that will bring in more cash than it cost me

then i won't buy it

just my own way of not letting gas get to me

3. Troubleman

Troubleman Silver Supporting Member

I said that too.... until I ran outta space on my pedal board and still found other cool stuff. Now my Maxon AD900 sits on the floor, off to the left of my pedal board on gigs, sorta duct-tape affixed to the end of it. Shame, shame, shame.... I justify this by saying I'm saving for a Fulltone TTE that is far too large to fit on the pedal board to begin with...

Sad, huh?

Peace,

jb

4. KBN

KBN Member

I do the same thing. It keeps me from giving into the "Ooh, that looks fun" impulse and bandwagon buying. If its not good enough to kick something off of the board, then its not worth buying. It makes me think longer about purchases if buying something means I sell something else.

5. gitpicker

gitpicker Silver Supporting Member

I too have employed this technique and I am sticking to it (of course we won't mention the fact that I am in the process of building a second board...)

6. Fixxxer

Fixxxer Member

Including the tuner I am actually down to 6 pedals. I don't try an get any crazy sounds. I actually have a ton of pedals on the bench, which is upsetting, but its all good at the end of the day.

There are pedals that interest me, but nothing that I "need".

7. msp

msp Member

i've almost have my board down to an allstar cast....just a few more to go and they are all waiting list items

preaty soon i'll be hanging out in the amp and guitar forums cus it will be shear torture gabbin with you guys about pedals knowing that i have reached my limit

8. dividedsky

dividedsky Member

Thankfully I've been able to try nearly every single pedal that interests me. I now have 9 pedals and I'm set. Hell, might even sell one!

9. inscho

inscho Senior Member

I too have a small board to contain my GAS. But I am always trying to find
    pedal alternatives that have a smaller footprint so I can squeeze another pedal on there!

:BEER