Too much clean amp heard on top of the overdrive ???

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Baminated, Dec 25, 2009.

1. Baminated

Baminated Member

I notice this w/the Zendrive going into either a Super Reverb or a Dual Showman

Had the same prob w/a Full Drive 2 back in the day , also

What is the deal with that ?

the clean amp is simultaneously heard at the same time as the overdriven pedal

Any remedies ?

2. slagg

slagg Member

sounds like your input is bleeding into each channel maybe,weird to say the least.

3. jdel77

jdel77 Silver Supporting Member

I have this problems with TS9's. I have no way to account for it.

4. DavidLopezJr

DavidLopezJr Member

Try your pedals on differents amps. It might be the pedals not liking the amp?

5. Baminated

Baminated Member

not sure if I understand ?

6. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

TS based pedals do this...all the TS's, Boss OD-1, SD-1, Fulldrives, etc...not sure about the Zen drive...maybe thats normal...

7. RIMRAK

RIMRAK Member

I think that is just a side effect of low volume playing..I would be willing to bet at gig volume you wont have that problem.

8. imguitardan

imguitardan Member

That's the great thing about TS based circuits. If you don't want that, don't use a TS style pedal. (All the ones listed are TS variants).

9. imguitardan

imguitardan Member

I agree with this as well. TS's sound like arse at home but great on stage.

10. deathbyska76

deathbyska76 Member

i liked the sound of my FD2 mosfet at home, and on stage, both at low and high volumes. I never ran into this issue, but i was always playing it through a Vox/Orange, not a fender type. needless to say, your amp is far cleaner than mine haha

11. Baminated

Baminated Member

While I appreciate your assumption that this observation was from a TGP bedroom player/Blues Lawyer-Doctor, this problem has been observed by me at live band kickin' stage volumes, as was the FD2.

Cranked Super Reverb , Dual Showman, etc . .

12. spentron

spentron Member

Yes that's what the Screamer-type circuits do, quite explicitly, there is a clean signal path at unity gain, unaffected by the gain control, bass cut or clipping, but affected by everything else including treble smoothing, tone and volume controls. The distortion part of the signal tends to always be louder even when not distorting, although clean is a primary component in what bass that remains and once you recognize it.... anyway the main control over the clean mix is the input level, vs. everything else.

The solution is to turn down the guitar and crank the gain to compensate. Or if you really want to hear the clean, clean boost the TS input.

13. Baminated

Baminated Member

Spentron, any mods that can be done to the Zen Drive to compensate/rectify/adjust , etc . . .. ?

14. spentron

spentron Member

^^^-- Surely, but could easily lose that "zen" ;) ... a circuit seen in almost every DOD distortion (and also an option in the FKR) is to follow the overdrive circuit (diodes in feedback loop of NONinverting amp) with a resistor and diodes to ground distortion circuit. You can also stack into more dirt or overdrive the amp. One good thing about the clean signal is if you set the distortion part just short of overdriving the amp, essentially the clean signal is overdriving the amp in providing that little bit more. That DOD circuit is calibrated almost the same.

I'm not sure of the clip level in the Zen, but it's probably higher than the diode pair in a TS, which does effectively decrease the clean part, relatively. This could be taken further by adding another pair of MOSFET clippers in series with the ones already in there, but you'd probably need to run it at higher power supply voltage.