Too Much Fun Alert: EH POG Content

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by decay-o-caster, Nov 8, 2005.

1. decay-o-caster

decay-o-caster Member

I got my Electro-Harmonix Polyphonic Octave Generator last night. This thing is just a trip! :p

I can't get a convincing 12- (or 1:cool: string sound out of it, but that was the thing I was least interested in. What it does great is the organ sound, and it also has the octave down thing that was always more interesting to me than octave up (JB's "Come Dancing", anyone?).

Here's a noodle-fest, clean guitar to start, then organ, then octave down, then tweaked. Just plain fun.

2. move

move Member

thanks for the further evidence that i need a pog.

3. Crazyquilt

Crazyquilt Guitar Dad Silver Supporting Member

:eek:

I keep trying to get away from pedals...but the fun noiseynoises keep pulling me back....

I totally dig the faux organ sounds.

4. VSpaceBoy

VSpaceBoy Member

Sweetness..

Have you owned/used any other octave pedals in the past to be able to compare it to?

5. decay-o-caster

decay-o-caster Member

I have a ZVex Octane III and a Wylie Moonrock and Ozo, all of which do octave-up but with bizarreness attached. So no, nothing directly comparable.

I really got this for the organ sounds to make rhythm parts more interesting occasionally, maybe add another flavor on the home recordings, but I can see it'll be interesting in its own right.

6. hawkeyeinexile

hawkeyeinexile Silver Supporting Member

WayOutWest (Santa Clara, CA (not Canada))
    neat. and "Chest Fever", too - good pick.
    can't wait to try 'er out ;)

:cool:

7. decay-o-caster

decay-o-caster Member

I've wanted to do "Chest Fever" ever since I started playing out, and have never been in a band with an organist (or with other members who even gave a $h!t about the song, but that's another therapy session!). It could be just around the corner...

:)

8. fzkicksbuttock

fzkicksbuttock Member

Cool demo! Is the POG true-bypass, or a major tone-sucker? Also, how do chords sound with it (though I'm sure it depends on the settings)?

9. decay-o-caster

decay-o-caster Member

Yup, true bypass, not a tone sucker.

And it tracks surprisingly well on chords. The last two chords in the organ clip before going to octave-down are just big 6-string barre chords, they worked fine. The only chords that don't seem to work for me (yet - I'm still trying to tweak for them) are those 3-string Freddie Green style chords on the 6-4-3 strings. They just sound a bit out of tune.

During the organ wankage you can hear some slides that sorta track okay, but it shows you about how fast the POG reacts.

10. fzkicksbuttock

fzkicksbuttock Member

Hmmm... I'm sure i could have alot of fun with the POG, my Whammy II, DL4, AND loopstation.

I just feel sorry for my neighbors. :p

11. Occam

Occam Member

...throw in an ebow, delay and a ring modulator and I can see some serious coolness here.

12. avenerjimmie

avenerjimmie Member

i want one so bad. it's so much money though. gah.

13. gururyan

gururyan Member

I have no interest in "goofy" pedals like a ring mod, and I have eagerly sold my octaves each time I sucker myself into getting one.

BUT...hearing that sweet organ sound gives me a GREAT idea! You have got to run that into a VIBE!

....wow, a Hammond B-3 with a Leslie cab.....FROM MY GUITAR!?!!?

(yes, I know it wouldn't be that close...but close your eyes and open your mind)

I have got to try one of these things. :)

14. decay-o-caster

decay-o-caster Member

There will be a roto-machine in my near-future...

15. ChrisP

ChrisP Member

my quest for b-3/leslie grind was NOT completed when I got my H&K roto but I have a feeling a POG would get me <that> much closer.

16. DerekMinnich

DerekMinnich Member

DOC, Bill played that thing for me over the phone the other week and I was just eating it up. Man thats the coolest pedal I've heard in a long time. I had him play some "What I'd Say"...it sounded killer. There are so many other things you could do with it. Amazing pedal.

17. ABKB

ABKB Member

What fun. Great clip, thanks decay-o-caster. Of course my wife and our pocketbook will now hate you, but dont sweat it :p

18. decay-o-caster

decay-o-caster Member

I'll try to be brave about it! :D

19. Occam

Occam Member

I just picked up a POG today...I was seriously just going in there to try it out (I seem to have a lot of gear stories that start off that way) but I just fell in love with it. Any pedal that gets the song writing juices flowing like that needs to be purchased immediately.

20. workinclasszero

workinclasszero Member

I had a POG for about 6 months before I sold it. Chalk it up with the FM4 as being "the coolest pedal I'll never have a practical use for". Got a MuRF and haven't looked back.

But you guys who love theirs are going to have the last laugh in 15 years when they become a thing of legend.