Too much gain/signal = overload or limiting in tube amp?

TimH

I'm running my amp (3rd Power Dual Citizen) off stage these days. It allows me to wind up the master full and run the channel volumes just past their clipping point. Single coils are mostly clean, humbuckers provide a nice rhythm drive.

I'm noticing though that when I hit the amp with another OD pedal set for a bit higher gain it can sound like the amp is limiting or overloading.

Is this a pretty natural occurrence when setting amps up this way? Is the solution to simply back off the volume out of the pedal? Back off the gain? It feels like by the time I get the sustain I want out of the pedals for soloing that I'm getting this sound.

Thoughts?

Sirloin

Silver Supporting Member
By offstage, do you mean isolated, mic'ed with in ear monitors or stage monitors?

IM4Tone

Too much (and stacking) gain can lead to excessive or more than desired compression....very common. Decrease your OD pedal's gain, or get one that is closer to a near clean boost. Three choices I'd suggest are: MXR m-133, Fulltone FB-3, or JOYO Sweet Baby.

Blue Strat

You have to reduce the output of the pedal through any combination of gain or level. Too much signal into the front of any amp will cause compression and other effects (desirable or undesirable depending on what you're after).

Sirloin

Silver Supporting Member
We really need to know how he is monitoring the amp here. He said it is offstage. There could be a bunch of factors in the monitoring signal chain that are getting overloaded and compressed. So it may or may not be the amp.

TimH

We really need to know how he is monitoring the amp here. He said it is offstage. There could be a bunch of factors in the monitoring signal chain that are getting overloaded and compressed. So it may or may not be the amp.

It's the amp. I've heard it before with a cab right next to me.

I'll try reworking the gain stages

Sirloin

Silver Supporting Member
Ok cool. So re read your post. I would lower the master a bit and see what that does for you.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom