Too much gain = too much noise...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by PFCG, Jan 2, 2008.

1. PFCG

PFCG Member

Hey guys i have a problem with my pedals, and i dont know if its something that is a known problem or maybe a defective product or maybe just my fault.

I have my pedals all lined up but when i have on two or more they have outrageous microphonic noise. Ill hit one of the patch cables and be able to hear it, plus its quite noisy dependent on where i stand while i play.

Is it because of too much gain?

Is it because of bad cables or is it because or a bad pedal?

Heres a picture: [​IMG]

2. whoismarykelly

whoismarykelly Oh look! This is a thing I can change! Supporting Member

Maybe too much gain but it really sounds like you have microphonic patch cables. Could also be that you have far too many fulltone pedals.

3. PFCG

PFCG Member

i love all these pedals, but are they all known for high noise? ive never read that anywhere. Im not a big pedal nerd.

4. Joses

Joses Member

+1 :rotflmao:roll

5. PFCG

PFCG Member

any other help?

6. nibus

nibus Supporting Member

It wouldn't be your pedals unless one of them is defective.

Have you tried eliminating one pedal at a time? Do you have any other types of patch cables? What cables are you using? I would bet it's a cable problem, but it could also be a problem with your one-spot daisy chain power supply. Maybe the Fulltone pedals draw more power than it is able to produce? Try putting batteries in the OCD, FatBoost and FullDrive and see what happens.

7. Joses

Joses Member

Lol sorry - i was so amused with whoismarykelly's answer i forgot to reply to the topic! :D

I'd go with the patch cables thing as well - there's only 3 drives there (although you've maxed them all our gain-wise) so i doubt it could be them. I've run up to 5 drives at a time without this 'microphonic' noise you refer to (hum/hiss & feedback - yes, but microphonic noise - no). So my money'd be on the patch cables.

Oh another thing is - are u using a true single coiled guitar? Could be part of the cause too...

8. PFCG

PFCG Member

no single coiled guitars, accept my alembic but thats active and hum canceling.

The cables are all monster cables accept the long mogami that connects my tuner and guitar.

They arent always all maxed out btw, it was just a test, but it seems like whenever i kick a footswitch button i could hear my foot touch the cables and the buttons as well. it makes a pop noise and all sorts of other great noise just by touching the components.

I think im gunna go bring all the monster cables back, its pissing me off, but im thinking about george l's but what is the best cable for path cables without spending more than like 25 bucks a piece?

i will try different power supplies as well

9. Joses

Joses Member

Based on your description - simply touching the components of your pedals creates some noise - i'd guess its probably some sort of power related issue.

I don't really know the exact details as i'm really bad at this technical /electronics stuff...but its probably got something to do with grounding and current flow or something like that?

10. PFCG

PFCG Member

ok ill check it out, thanks, anyone else?

11. gregory49

gregory49 Member

+ 1 more.. :AOK

I still have the fulldrive II as well and its ok. The OCD I didn't like at all. Difinitly the cause of the "noise"

12. MAGICboy

MAGICboy Supporting Member

Check for loose jacks.. tighten them.. :hiP

13. jaywalker

jaywalker Member

Almost definately one of those sealed plastic toy cables for sure, gain everything up to the max and try yelling at a cable (without the guitar plugged in) and you get a great nine inch nails sound.
    If they squeel and you can hear your voice, bin them.
    If they start yelling back and protesting like gremlins,exorcise them and bury them in the garden in a big hole with concrete poured over them.
    Such cables have a nasty habit of crawling back into your "spares" box and leap out at you whenever you have a gig where you need an A/B box.......

14. tonewave

tonewave Member

priceless and so true

15. PFCG

PFCG Member

i think im gunna go get mogami patch cables or something when i bring them back to the store.

16. Chrome Dinette

Chrome Dinette Silver Supporting Member

If any of those pedals use the blue 3pdt stomp switch, they occasionally develop problems.

I had this happen to me more than once.

In any case, eliminate one pedal or cable at a time until the problem goes away.

17. Scott Cioe

Scott Cioe Member

As the others have said, it is probably cable and/or power supply related. I agree that you should also try by eliminating one pedal at a time to see if that cures it.
    As a side note; you may want to put the Chorus/Flanger after the distortion effects-it may alter the sound in a better way when both are employed.

18. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

I notice you seem to be feeding the Strobostomp with seperate power, and then a daisy-chained power to the rest of the pedals.
    This could be ground-looping, making more problems. Might not be the only problem, but it might be causing more buzz or
    hum in the signal.

Couple of things you can try before you even buy cables,
    1) for a test, take the strobostomp out of the signal path. Just set it aside for now and plug into the wah.

2) Put ALL new batteries in all the units and don't use ANY power cables into any of them.

Now try it. Tap on the cables. If they still are doing it (and AS MUCH)
    then go out and either buy short cables (my first choice, and if you do get shortest needed and with right angled plugs, you will be MUCH happier, and can place pedals closer together then). See if that helps.

Later on, I would also try and find out the power consumption (there is a site you can search pedal power consumption and find it, in Sweden that has a lot of this in tables, or just read the manual or ask Fulltone) for all combined, and see if you couldn't run the daisy chain off of the OUT on the Strobostomp, so it was shared power on all units.

19. Brett Valentine

Brett Valentine Member

From what I could see in the picture, you've got the gain on all 3 pedals pretty much maxed out (can't tell which version of the FatBoost you're using, so I don't know if the tone or gain is maxed out on that). You also have the output levels set pretty high compared to your gain levels.

If that is the case, then you're definitely bringing the noise floor waaay up. The FD2 and FatBoost, when set to medium gain levels can still give you a pretty much silent noise floor. I've never tried the OCD so I cannot comment on that pedal.

What's your philosophy and approach to gain? You might want to consider changing your order to allow the higher gain pedal (OCD) to be fed by the FullDrive. I isewd to run a FullDrive into a Fat Boost, and even a Distortion Pro either before or after those two.

The DP could bring up the noise floor, but I ran the gain at around 10:00 and was able to even run all three together w/o microphonics. Definitely look into the best quality connectors you can afford.

That's all I can think of at the moment.

Oh, as to where you stand, that sounds like some transformer somewhere in the area of where you're playing. As to hum, if you're running a daisy chain, you might be getting a problem that way. I run a VoodooLabs Pedal Power 2 and have a couple of pedals daisy chained in one of the outputs and depending upon which pedal is daisy chained, I might get a hum. Certain combinations need the isolated power to quiet them down.

20. pgissi

pgissi Member

I would start with replacing the cables. Get some thick rubber patch cables with quality connectors. The shielding on cheap patch cables is not 100% and are typically microphonic and act as a giant capacitor.

You get what you pay for

Then there is the power issue. I have had less than adequate success with running different pedals from different manufacturers on the same ac adapter chain, its been hit or miss. I use batteries for my OD's and Pre-Amps (anything where gain is added) to minimize power supply induced ground loops and only use ac adapters for time domain or other devices.

There is much hype regarding ac adapters but the reality is each pedal has unique dc regulation requirments that one supply cannot address for each pedal. I would spare no expense in this regard if you must and would look into isolated dc outputs from a device.

I frankly got fed up with the ac adapter induced noise and went back to batteries with inherently noisy pedals, overdrives, preamps, fuzzboxes etc.

Lastly, keep the length of the power supply daisy chain cable to a minimum, meaning keep the brick local with the pedals, dont extend the line unneccesarily.

I will bet its not just one thing that will help reduce the noise overall but the microphonic issue is surely patch cables