1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Too much hum in Anderson Pups

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by frettedstrings, Feb 18, 2009.

1. frettedstrings

frettedstrings Member

A customer had Tom Anderson humbuckers put in his Gibson SG but they hum more that you would expect. I have rewired everything and reconnected and checked all grounds. The pot cavity is shielded. The Strat hums less on the same amp at the same volume. The coils are split with a push-pull in the vol pots. Any suggestions? Anyone else have this experience?

2. Dana Olsen

Dana Olsen Gold Supporting Member

Hey Harrison -

Allow me please to "bump" this post.

Harrison is old friends of mine, and a stunner builder/ repairman/ tech now living and working in Davis, CA., about 15 minutes from Sacramento. Damn near everything I know about setup, wood and construction of guitars I learned from Harry as his "apprentice' in the late 70's. His knowledge of glues, woods, joinery, finishes, techniques and general guitar knowledge and history are tremendous, and his work is unsurpassed in my experience. He builds acoustic instruments as well as doing electric guitar repair, and he has excellent working knowledge of wiring electrics.

Harry's also a killer 5 string banjo player. Despite that (GRIN) it's an honor to have him as a member to TGP.

Now, anybody else ever run into this hum problem with Anderson pickups? Harry has already contacted Anderson Guitarworks, but the problem is unsolved as yet.

Thanks, Dana O.

3. RvChevron

RvChevron Member

I would suggest you to email Tom directly. I'm sure he'll take care of it.

4. Dana Olsen

Dana Olsen Gold Supporting Member

Sad but true ...

Dana O.

5. Rosewood

Rosewood Member

Have you measured each coil to see if they are close to the same resistance? Unbalance coils will add some hum but not as bad as a Strat. Covers and base plate grounded? Is it wired in a humbucking configuration?

6. WahmBoomAh

WahmBoomAh World Crass Guitarist Silver Supporting Member

I~ve been through this myself . Mine actually hummed MORE when touching the bobbin , as if it wasn`t a simple grounding thing .
    Usually hum goes away when you touch the bobbin because you act as ground .
    I remember theorizing and coming to the conclusion through some qualified peoples hunches ( I`m just a player) that something about their shielding paint went afoul . Sorry if this isn`t too factual but maybe it`ll give you something to go on with TAG . Try touching the bobbin to see if it gets better or worse

7. frettedstrings

frettedstrings Member

The Anderson pup hums like crazy when you touch one set of pole pieces (but not the other) here is Tom Anderson's email reply to me as to why:

"since the inside of the second coil is connected to the hot of the >first coil to get it in series, it is in close proximity to hot. it >makes a noise similar to touching the tip of a cable plugged into an >amp. it's not as loud because there is a half pickup between it and >hot. the other coil is connected straight to ground."

I have to say that I have never gotten such prompt and thorough response from a vendor as I got from Tom Anderson, despite the hum (and I am not yet certain the problem is the pup) I am very impressed with Anderson as a company!

Last edited: Feb 18, 2009