Too much self-criticism or writer's block

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Simto, Feb 13, 2012.

1. Simto

Simto Member

Hey guys

I've always had a lot of self-criticism to pretty much everything i do, but i never felt like it stopped my "creative flow". Writing music and coming up with ideas for songs used to come pretty easy... or it kinda still does.
    The problem is, as of late i pretty much think it's all a festering pile of suckage.
    The last two years, all the music i've made, i only think three of my bands songs are good, and it's pretty crushing knowing that my musical output only ended up in three songs...
    Every new idea i've had the last couple of months have all been horrible or i've played something and thought it was the coolest thing i've ever made only to realize i, without knowing, copied a song.

I've just quit my job to focus on music and getting out and playing live, so i've just had a period where i've been focused on work (selling guitars ironicaly) and didn't play guitar that much.
    I'm extremely frustrated whenever i play any instrument, especially guitar. I can't play for very long at the time before i get furious at myself and i have to put everything down and just chill... and i've never been an angry person, never had anger problems. It feels like my drums just go out of tune all the time, the snare pops off, my bass is always muddy and i my guitars are just harsh and brittle... even after tweaking the s*** out of them. I'm just lacking the fun and it seems like i can't enjoy making music or just playing for the matter.

There's nothing i'd love more than to put all my bands gear in a van and we'd just drive around all of europe, or go to the states and just play gigs, but i guess that's the difference between a basement warrior and an artist

I'd like to know, what do you guys do with your self-criticism?

2. Birddog

Birddog Member

As a writer, not so much a music writer, I can relate.

One things I've found that makes a lot of the negativity melt away is to walk away from it for a while. Don't force it. With writing, I also get great mileage from something that inspires me that I've recently read. Maybe diving headlong into some new music by other artists will give you that fresh perspective that you're looking for.

Good luck.

Joel

3. Grantme

Grantme Member

For me the advice is the exact opposite. I say force it. I interpret what you wrote as saying it use to come easy to you but, now it doesnt which means, you now have to work at it. Whether writing music or whatever if you show up and actively prepare for inspiration it will show up and begin to show up regularly as you set aside time everyday to meet with it.

You almost have to respect inspiration for it to respect you. Which can mean just quieting your mind and waiting. If it shows up in the hour then great, if not then try again tomorrow. You cant make inspiration show up so you get critical of yourself.

But, as it turns out, people are different. Explore different ideas and see what resonates.

4. FuzzGazer

FuzzGazer Member

Time to recharge the batteries. Get off the computer, turn off the TV, get out of the house, and do some living.

Pretty soon you won't be able to stop the songs from coming out.

If it doesn't work, well then at least you got off the computer, turned off the TV, got out of the house, and did some living.

5. Birddog

Birddog Member

What a great post!

6. Simto

Simto Member

Good advice guys, thanks.

The "put it away for a while" thing... i kinda did that but with no luck.. it just feels like, when i pick up the guitar, everything just goes blank and i just can't play. I can't feel what i should play and i my mind is totally blank.

7. spakuloid

spakuloid Member

You need a vacation. So take vacation... from your problems!

8. Twitchey

Twitchey Member

well three good songs is three better than most of us! ... at least you know you're not kidding yourself in thinking you are better than you really are (the opposite is likely to be true)

also, it's not until after you've finished the race that you need to rest. Perhaps, you're putting too much pressure on yourself, and actually you need some time out before the creative juices really return again?

transitioning from one job or role to another very rarely goes 100% smoothly immediately ... I think most people need at least 6 months to settle in to a new change of circumstance / job / employment / new city etc.

9. digthosetubes

digthosetubes Senior Member

Love it. The endless supply of humor and creativity here in these threads.
    Helps me with the stupidity part. Whoops. Now I have to try to be more tolerant. If I'm not stupid, I can be very annoying and take myself way too seriously. Writer's block.....I don't have any answers but like the approach I am seeing here. Good luck. Enjoy the moment. Or at least look for ways to enjoy the moment. They are there.

10. Neer

Neer Supporting Member

William Faulkner so perfectly said, "If you want to grow a garden, you need plenty of manure." He was referring to writing.

11. Shiny McShine

Shiny McShine Member

Check out The Artists Way for a nice structured program for overcoming these sort of blocks.

12. Simto

Simto Member

I guess i need the doctor's shorts at 0:57 :)

The garden/manure thing... i guess you can clog the garden up with too much s*** so it doesn't grow at all.

13. Donn Rowe

Donn Rowe Member

breakup with your girlfriend LOL you can mine that for some good material :) everyone is different ..some work through, some take a brake. maybe change up what you are writing like/about ..for example try working on country if you mostly do rock..or go lyrics first if you are mostly music first ...ruts suck but they seem to be a common ailment of writers.. after ruts is the best work for me :) good luck