Took a pawn shop risk... How'd I do?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by infiniteposse, May 28, 2008.

1. infiniteposse

infiniteposse Member

You know the saying don't go into a bar if you don't want to drink? I should stay away from pawn shops...

So I walk in and there, hanging on the wall is a well worn 1995 Les Paul Special DC. The details: previous headstock break and decent repair, but not invisible. I guess it got dropped on it's side of something, because at the 16th fret, on the bass side of the fretboard, there's a dent in the board. The binding, fret and board material are slightly pushed down and there's a small chunk out of the side of the neck. Beyond that, it plays well, intonates properly, pups sound good and it's purdy - finish is lovely and I believe nitro. This definitely isn't a faded series guitar.

They were asking $400 and they took $350 with a case that's decent enough for now...

How'd I do? I'm not even sure what this would go for new, but I know it's more than $600. I'm guessing if I put $100-$200 into it for clean up of the board chunk and maybe even finish over the crack it'll be good as new and I won't be into all that much for what it is...

Thoughts?

Thanks!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Custom50

Custom50 Member

3. FloridaSam

FloridaSam Member

Ya done good. Even the ugly ones need loving too. My SG was a pawn shop find much like yours with breaks, scratches etc.... its the best playing guitar I have ever played. fix it up a bit, nothing there that a little love can't make good as new and play the snot out of it. I would have bought that in a split second. Enjoy! Hell, the case is worth a $100 alone.

4. The Pup

The Pup Supporting Member

That is the best of the specials ever made in my opinion...you need a set of dirty dogs to replace the P-100s and of course get the serious dings fixed solid.

Potential for a great axe. Clean examples go for $1,150+ or so.

I replaced my P-100s with Fralin...then Lollar and ended up keeping a set of Dirty Dogs. One of my favorite guitars ever!!!

Congrats!

[​IMG]

http://www.gbase.com/Stores/DealerStore.aspx?Dealer=1b94168f-8a03-4f86-8962-82594f19ba69

5. yakyak

yakyak Supporting Member

You did good. That case looks like the original case that came with my '74 Les Paul. If it is a '70's case, it is probably with what you paid for the guitar and case.

6. Frankee

Frankee Wartime Consigliere

Makes a sweet beater...

7. Gavin

Gavin Supporting Member

Original/excellent 70's Gibson cases in purple were fetching $200-$300 last time I checked about a year ago. Don't know what they're getting in todays soft market but you did well.

8. infiniteposse

infiniteposse Member

How can I positively ID the case? Any resources you guys can direct me to? I'll sell it in a heartbeat as I couldn't care less about it:)

Thanks for all of the help. You guys rock!

9. Austinrocks

Austinrocks Member

$350 is a really good price, the specials go went for $600 new, its a bit dinged up, probably have a tech look at it and clean it up, one in good condition is a $1000 guitar, its certainly worth fixing up.

I am wondering why the name tag had all the scratches on it, really would check the serial number and make sure its a real gibson, never seen one that is that many scratches on the gibson decal.

10. Pa'ani

Pa'ani Supporting Member

Congratulations on a very sweet deal!

11. infiniteposse

infiniteposse Member

Austinrocks - that's inlay, not a decal, so it's just deed checking in the headstock finish. It's all legit as the whole body has the same amount of wear. This thing was used a lot. :)

Thanks guys!

12. Austinrocks

Austinrocks Member

I used my 77 LP special a lot, the P-90 sound really great, enjoy your guitar.

13. yakyak

yakyak Supporting Member

My case has Gibson in silver on the bottom corner. Here are some pics that may help. I bought this guitar new. Case is beat to $hit. We have had some great times over the years and been in some very seedy establishments!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

14. stevieboy

stevieboy Clouds yell at me Gold Supporting Member

Check the pickups--they made this model special around that time--

http://www.gibson.com/products/gibson/LesPaul/SpecialDoubleCut.html

I got this link a while back, when I bought one of these used. Yours looks very much like mine. It was linked on Gibson's "Discontinued Models" page, I forget whether it was in the discontinued models for 1995, or the 1996 list. Not sure how to navigate to it now (actually I'm surprised it's still up), but I have it bookmarked, and there wasn't any other info that I can recall. But they did make this, with P90's not 100's, though I'm sure The Pup is right that they had P100 models at the time too.

Very nice guitar. I'm not a good source for value info though, I think you can get at least a grand for one. Obviously the condition issues would bring it down, but particularly if that case is as valuable as suggested, you cetainly did pretty well.

15. The Pup

Now you've got me wondering...

Mine is a mint 1995...it had P-100s (I still have them). They are not too bad and are definitely a quieter option. I just love the old-school P-90 sound from the Dirty Dogs; I have a real '54 LP conversion with original pickups for reference. I also copper shielded every conceivable place on my LP standard and it is quiet with respect to any gain application.

Retraction: If it sounds good...it is good. Don't change a thing!

16. infiniteposse

infiniteposse Member

Scorpio - thanks so much for posting those pics. That's the case alright. Maybe I'll take a gander at eBay and see if the fishies are bitinghttp://www.thegearpage.net/board/images/smilies/munch.gif

I think the pups are P90's just based on the fact they get single coil hum as I'd expect. Also, they don't seem to have a super tight fit in the cavity either, so I wonder if they're the original pups or if they got swapped with something else at some point. As is, they sound pretty rad:)

BTW, I went to another pawn shop after running the LP Special by my luthiers place. I need help. See other thread to see goodies...

Please don't hate me.

17. The Pup

:) No haters here.

Note: My pickups were loose...so I installed heavier springs (stretched them out and installed them heavily sprung-loaded). Now I can rest my palm on the pickup without any movement or noise...and the pickups still adjust fine.

18. Nuclearfishin

Nuclearfishin Supporting Member

If the guitar's a player and you like it you did well. As for what you paid, according to the Official Vintage price guide, the low value for excellent condition is $675, but it also says to reduce the value by 50% for headstock repairs, so you probably paid a little over book considering the headstock repair and how beat up it is. My concern would be with the logo, why does it look like it was routed out and inlaid on your headstock? No scratches through the inside of the letters, just around the outside border, very strange.

19. Griz

Griz Member

Hell, you could barely score a Squier Strat for $350 (new). That's a good deal, fer sure.

Peter Stroud (Sheryl Crow) prefers some neck-repaired Gibsons because to his ear they sound better (and the repaired necks are stronger, and the price is much lower).

Enjoy that wounded Gibson. It has heart.
    :AOK

20. Figher53

Figher53 Member

I'd say you did pretty well. I have the exact same guitar, sans injuries, upgraded with all tone pros hardware. I bought mine from Mean Gene Baker for just over a grand. I don't know what yours plays like, but mine is STELLAR. I wound up putting Lollars in there but still have the Gibby pickups (which are also great but the neck was a little muddy for my tastes). Mine didn't come with a vintage case like yours, but it did come with one that was given to Gene by Robben Ford. One of these days I should try and find out what it is... Maybe I'll post a pic...