Tool style distortion, under 50w

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Braunzo, Mar 1, 2015.

1. Braunzo

Braunzo Supporting Member

I haven't been into high gain amps for a long, long time. But all of a sudden, I've got the itch again. I was just curious what amps would fit the bill for Tool style distortion (I know I'm not going to get exact and that's fine. I know he blends amps a lot), under 50w, at least two channels and cleans up well with my volume knob.

Let the ideas fly!

2. Hugh_s

Hugh_s Member

I've seen reasonable facsimilies from EVH amps with a frowny-face EQ.

3. skunx

skunx Member

Mini rectifier

4. kdc113

kdc113 Member

+1 for the Mini Rectifier

5. Outshined

Outshined Member

6. JYD

JYD Supporting Member

My EVH 5153 got some good Tool tones. I play in a cover band. Has a great tone at lower volumes.

7. _amass

_amass Member

+1 For the 5153 50w. Great tones even at lower volumes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. ledzep618

ledzep618 Supporting Member

Why not go for what he uses (used) - a Mesa Recto. Skip that mini recto crap, you aren't going to get the chunk needed for tool with a 25 watt amp. 50 watts is a pretty arbitrary cutoff since all high gains amps have master volumes.

I'd recommend a Recto Solo 50...they're easier to make sound big at low volume than the Mini Recto because of the global Master Volume and if you can't get Tool out of that then you can't get it from anything.

And they're available all over for like 600-700.

The 50 watt small box 5153 is solid too if you want to trim some size but I still prefer the recto, it's made better.

9. LPMojoGL

LPMojoGL Music Room Superstar Supporting Member

The Bogner Shiva isn't under 50 watts, but gets surprisingly great sounding Tool tones on the the drive channel. EL34nr model.
    At one time I had a Mesa Dual Rec and a Marshally amp, hoping to mimic the Tool sound. I didn't get there with that setup. Probably user error.
    Under 50 watts...I would look at the PRS Archon 25, and Engl Ironball.

10. Braunzo

He only used the Recto to blend his low end tones. It was the least significant of the blend between his Marshall and Diezel. I'm not saying Recto won't get me there, but it's not the amp I think of when it comes to getting "what he used".

How does it clean up? And how is the clean channel?

11. ledzep618

Yeah he slaved the diezel into a super bass for a lot of the album stuff, but I saw tool several times in their early says with just a dual recto onstage. FWiw I hear some recto prominently on aenima. The single is really close to the dual, just a tad brighter. A Les Paul into a recto with everything set on noon will get you as close as you can without dropping 5-6 k and stealing his fingers.

They clean up well if your guitar had good electronics. I really like the clean channel as well, maybe not a lot of people's definition of chimey fender clean but I think it does the trick.

12. LPMojoGL

Honestly, if I could use only one amp for Tool stuff, I'd go with a 4-holer. I'd take that over a Recto.
    I like the tones on Opiate and Undertow quite a bit. I think that is when Adam was most creative with his riffing, and believe a lot has to do with that Marshall. I dig the tone on Aenima a lot, too, but could never get there with a Recto. I think the bass on Aenima and the following records had a lot more to do with the overall sound than we can imagine.

13. Braunzo

And low end umph isn't such a huge issue as long as the amp is tight enough. Most of that low end gets dialed out live in favor of the actual bass guitar.

14. Promit

Promit Member

Going to go crazy here and say Mini Recto or EVH ;)

15. Braunzo

Just listened to a demo of this. It might be my ticket.

16. dmarkj22

dmarkj22 Member

I'm waiting for a MINI Soldano SLO or a Mini Diezel Einstein or Herbert.

17. LPMojoGL

Soldano Hot Rod 25 is close to a mini SLO.

18. Braunzo

A mini Diezel would be ideal!

The whole big amp argument has me thinking. I've been running a 15 watt Matchless for a couple of years and have never noticed it not being full or big. And would this theoretic "big-ness" even be noticeable in a mix?

19. ledzep618

Yes it will be noticeable. I dont think 15 watt amps sound "small" per se, but 50+ watts will knock the socks off your matchless especially in the low end department, which essential for tool stuff. It will be immediately noticeable in your cleans especially

20. Braunzo

I went from a Budda SuperDrive 45 to this Matchless and I don't really notice the difference in thump or how big things sound. I find too much low end stomps on the bass player. I don't think Adam's tone is ridiculously bass-y.