Tool to hold Nut Files?

davidos

Gold Supporting Member
Anyone know of a tool to hold nut files? I have a .10 gauge file from Stewmac that is so flimsy and floppy that it is very difficult to keep it straight when filing... I was thinking of gluing popsicle sticks to either side of it but that would only leave me with one filing surface...

Any suggestions?
Thx!

SamBooka

Anyone know of a tool to hold nut files? I have a .10 gauge file from Stewmac that is so flimsy and floppy that it is very difficult to keep it straight when filing... I was thinking of gluing popsicle sticks to either side of it but that would only leave me with one filing surface...

Any suggestions?
Thx!
I have 008 and 010 files and have no issue.. how much force are you using? I only use them for after roughing in the nut..

Quarter

For something temporary, instead of gluing the popsicle sticks, maybe just wrap rubber bands around the ends, or use a couple of those little spring steel binder / paper clips things. Other than that, a nice handle / holder would be easy enough to make out of a couple pieces of scrap wood, 2 machine bolts and a couple of wingnuts.

walterw

Platinum Supporting Member
I have a .10 gauge file from Stewmac that is so flimsy and floppy that it is very difficult to keep it straight when filing...
yeah, you do it wrong and that thing is snapping right in two :mad:

i never use the .010" file except for the very last bit of filing, and often not even then.

for anything with an angled gibson-style headstock it's the .014" file for the high E, that string is not going to "fuzz", over-ring and bounce around in the saddle like it might in a way-shallower-angle fender nut.

with the fenders, i use the .010 to sort of lay a "track" in the middle of the .014" slot once it's done, just enough to keep the string centered in that groove and ringing clearly while not being deep enough to pinch a .010 or .011 E.

Ronsonic

I use an Xacto razor saw for most of the cutting for the E & B and just touch the bottoms with the file. I also use the saw for a starter cut for the other strings.

I haven't tried it, and I wish I could find the link .... Someone on-line had pics of him using a door hinge folded over the file and secured with machine screws and nuts as a holder. looks like it gives support for the blade and makes it much easier to hold.

John Coloccia

Cold Supporting Member
Hold it right over, or close to, where you're filing if it gives you problems. But follow Walter's advice. It's how I do it too. I don't use anything smaller than a .013" or .014". A slot a few thou bigger than the string is just fine. The .010 is just to stabilize Fender high E string right at the end, and it's just a light swipe or two. Doesn't take much, and it's only if the string is giving me trouble. Fender nuts are very tricky to cut right, especially the G, B and E strings. Every other guitar on the planet is a piece of cake, and the .010 sits in the tool box.

Last edited:

walterw

Platinum Supporting Member
I haven't tried it, and I wish I could find the link .... Someone on-line had pics of him using a door hinge folded over the file and secured with machine screws and nuts as a holder. looks like it gives support for the blade and makes it much easier to hold.
yeah, it was here on TGP! i can't seem to find it either.

Mighty Melvin

Okay, here's what I did: A good hobby/craft store or a very good hardware store is going to have that display of small strips and tubes of brass and aluminum material. A 12" by 1/4" by either 1/32" or 1/16" (Your preference) strip of brass will cost you about $2.50. Cut it in half and use the two 6" pieces, clamped on with those black clamp-like paper clips (the smallest ones) on each end, to either side of the file. It's a little awkward but it's cheap and works perfectly.

David Farmer

A little soap on the blade helps. As does a rub on a diamond stone on each wide side.
You will quickly see the files have some lumps and bumps that can hang them up in the slot. A real micrometer will show where the thick spots are.

Trending Topics