Tools Needed to change Pots Pickup and Swtiches

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by Robert1950, Sep 25, 2006.

1. Robert1950

Robert1950 Member

What are the basic tools you to replace pots, pickups and switches in electric guitars. I've got a soldering iron, needle nose and cutting pliers. Anything else you find useful? This is going to be my first attempt. Any do's and don't's will also be appreciated.

Thanks, ... robert

2. clothwiring

clothwiring Supporting Member

Something safe to put the soldering iron on, solder and probably a heat sink is a good idea, just for safety sake if you haven't done this stuff that much before.

3. Giraffecaster

Giraffecaster Member

what kind of guitar is it? especially for your first time i'd recommend a pencil and paper to draw a diagram of what you took out and what goes where. and a towel to drape over the guitar to rest pickups/pots wires so it doesn't scratch the surface. And take your time and try and solder as much outside of the guitar as possible

4. Robert1950

Robert1950 Member

It's an Ibanez EX140. (1990). Inexpensive. HSS, Vol., Tone and a 5 way switch. Fairly easy access to everything.

5. Giraffecaster

Giraffecaster Member

if it was a strat stye with everything on a pickguard i would have said to try and do all but the bridge ground wire and the output jack on the pickguard first then put it on the guitar.

6. tonezoneonline

tonezoneonline Member

Nut drivers are nice too.

7. has-sound

has-sound Member

A multimeter for checking your connections is a must.

-Stan

8. Docgab

Docgab Member

A decent set of small screw drivers is helpful. A good multi-sized wire stripping tool as well, cheep ones are hard to use and have a habit of cutting the wire.

I find that liquid (consistancy of honey) solder flux is easier to use than paste. Watch out for cold solder joints, they can be noisy and come apart with a minimal jolt.

9. sysexguy

sysexguy Member

I'd get a desoldering pump....and wear glasses:cool: seriously

10. scottlr

scottlr Member

Perhaps you can explain the proper use of the DMM. I just got my first one, and although I suspect it is simple enough, many including me, would probably fare better with some instruction.

After just watching the Terry Downs DVD on soldering (recommended here), he suggests a flux pen as well as the paste. The paste he used in the vid did look to have the consistency of honey, but inside the guitar, all he used was the pen.