Toontrack EZdrummer 2 vs. Superior Drummer 3

Sleezy E

If I can piggyback onto this thread...what are Toontrack's sales/discounts like? I've tried a bunch of free drum options, but I need a better workflow for getting patterns down and this seems to be a strong point with this company.
Toontrack has had some pretty good Black Friday deals starting around Oct iirc.

Hold out a few more weeks and there should be some deals popping up.

I'm hoping there's a discount on Superior this year, as I'm another happy customer of ez2 and after using it for a few years I'm ready to step up to the big league.

DeSolo

I emailed Toontrack and asked if SD EVER went on sale, and they basically said "you never know, but it hasn't so far."

I'm just going to bite the bullet and use it with my Roland kit and lots of editing.

I have to keep the mindset that it costs less than a set of decent cymbals, or a good overhead mic.

drfrankencopter

Supporting Member
I emailed Toontrack and asked if SD EVER went on sale, and they basically said "you never know, but it hasn't so far."
SD2 went on sale the year before SD3 came out. I figure sales were slumping a bit and SD3 was taking longer to produce than expected, so they did sales on SD2. Then they offered cross grade pricing once SD3 came out. I waited too long on that one and had to pay the upgrade price from EZD instead.

RevDrucifer

I'm just going to bite the bullet and use it with my Roland kit and lots of editing.

I have to keep the mindset that it costs less than a set of decent cymbals, or a good overhead mic.
I justified it by telling myself, “Well, I used EZD2 for years and certainly got my money’s worth. It can no longer do what I need it to, but SD3 can and I will surely get year’s of use out of it as well.”

If I can make $300 stretch across several years of use, it’s justified in my book. For years I spent so much money on pot every week and got zero extended use out of it, so spending several hundred on stuff I’ll actually get years of use with is easily justifiable!

DeSolo

Just this morning I got an email from Toontrack offering a free MIDI pack (beats, essentially) with a purchase of SD3 in September.

So you save $30 on a $430 purchase, about 7% - I'll take it, I guess.

Billinder33

Just this morning I got an email from Toontrack offering a free MIDI pack (beats, essentially) with a purchase of SD3 in September.

So you save $30 on a $430 purchase, about 7% - I'll take it, I guess.
@Billy Moss .... time for you to jump on this. Having some extra MIDI packs is a pretty nice luxury to complement SD3.

Billinder33

How do you use the 11.1 in SD3?
Are you making music for film? I though you were just focused about recording demos.

You're new to this - guitar modeling, DAWs, VSTs, drum software, mixing, mastering - you don't know what you don't know at this point. You're miles away from dealing with surround sound.

The overwhelming majority of listeners use stereo through earbuds. Getting good at stereo recordings is HARD. Learn to get good at that before worrying about surround. If it sounds good on stereo, it will sound good on surround. Surround is for lasers, aliens, and collapsing bridges, not music.

I like your enthusiasm, but trust me, you need to learn to walk before you can run 100 meter sprints.

Last edited:

eoengineer

Supporting Member
I used SD2 for years and really enjoyed it. I grabbed EZDrummer2 and a pile of EZX expansions over their most recent Christmas sale and have really enjoyed the improved workflow for writing. In fact, my intention was to use EZDrummer for writing and SD2 for mixing, but I've just stuck with EZDrummer2 for all of it because I tend to agree with many of their processing decisions.

I will likely grab SD3 this Christmas. The only reason I haven't is that Im low on local storage on my music machine and don't want to pay their ridiculous pricing to get the preloaded SSD. Great stuff though. It's amazing what you can get away with on a recording if the drums sound great.

RevDrucifer

I used SD2 for years and really enjoyed it. I grabbed EZDrummer2 and a pile of EZX expansions over their most recent Christmas sale and have really enjoyed the improved workflow for writing. In fact, my intention was to use EZDrummer for writing and SD2 for mixing, but I've just stuck with EZDrummer2 for all of it because I tend to agree with many of their processing decisions.

I will likely grab SD3 this Christmas. The only reason I haven't is that Im low on local storage on my music machine and don't want to pay their ridiculous pricing to get the preloaded SSD. Great stuff though. It's amazing what you can get away with on a recording if the drums sound great.
Just a note on writing with one/mixing with the other; unless you’re using the exact same kit pieces, you may have to move some MIDI’s around. I’ve been loading SD3 into the tracks I had EZD on and because I’m using slightly different kits, sometimes I have to move one whole line of MIDI around to an appropriate drum/cymbal. IE- sometimes there’s a cymbal in the place of where a tom was. It’s minute, but can catch you off guard.

Billy Moss

Let me ask you guys a question.

Is SD3 as easy to use as ED2 if I want to put together a quick drum track for a song and don't want to tweak?

Billy Moss

Are you making music for film? I though you were just focused about recording demos.

You're new to this - guitar modeling, DAWs, VSTs, drum software, mixing, mastering - you don't know what you don't know at this point. You're miles away from dealing with surround sound.

The overwhelming majority of listeners use stereo through earbuds. Getting good at stereo recordings is HARD. Learn to get good at that before worrying about surround. If it sounds good on stereo, it will sound good on surround. Surround is for lasers, aliens, and collapsing bridges, not music.

I like your enthusiasm, but trust me, you need to learn to walk before you can run 100 meter sprints.
I'm recording demos and not CD radio ready quality. That's why I'm wondering if EZ2 is all I need.

Billinder33

I'm recording demos and not CD radio ready quality. That's why I'm wondering if EZ2 is all I need.
It all depends on how good you want your drums to sound really.

Or is 'ok' good for now and then update later (and eat the extra $$ for buying EZ then upgrading) after you get your beak wet? I mean, worst case is you lose what? $75 a year from now by upgrading.

Honestly, whatever you decide.... sometimes just taking action is better than 'paralysis by analysis'.... which is what you're suffering through right now. I've been there, so I do understand. The only wrong decision is taking months to decide, when you could be making music instead.

Last edited:

8len8

Supporting Member
I would personally think about how much time I’m willing to spend learning the tool and using it every time.

soundchaser59

Thank You Great Spirit!
Silver Supporting Member

Is SD3 as easy to use as ED2 if I want to put together a quick drum track for a song and don't want to tweak?
Then you will drag and drop patterns the same either way, you won't notice much if any difference, other than better stock sound.
If you are just doing demos at home I don't think you need SD3. I came from a drum machine so for me EZD2 was already light years beyond where I came from. Besides, I have SD3 but imo the best kit I have is the EZD kit "Custom Shop." I use it now for almost everything.

If you go with SD3 then I believe one of the most important things you need to watch out for is whether your computer specs are up to the task. It is cpu intensive and ram intensive. If your computer has any bottlenecks or lags in any department then SD3 will cause clicks and pops in your tunes, and you will end up rendering every drum track to wav so you can shut off the vst. EZD won't do that to you.

On the other hand, if your computer is blazing fast and state of the art and you have the extra couple C bills to burn, then by all means SD3 is by far the best option out there.......imo.

Billinder33

There are two key differences.

1) better midi Editor in SD3... May be a non issue if you're planning to MIDI exit in the DAW.

2) SD3 has a feature where you can tap out a beat and SD3 will search through your library and find the MIDI beats most like what you tapped out. I use this extensively to find beats that match a riff I created. Way better than listening to a hundred MIDI beats to find one that matches what you are looking for.
- EDIT: Apparently this has recently been added to EZD as well.​

Last edited:

Trending Topics