Top 10 Americana albums for 2013!

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by terrapin, Dec 11, 2013.

1. terrapin

terrapin Member

2. BedroomRockStar01

BedroomRockStar01 Supporting Member

Without clicking the link, if Jason Isbell and Patty Griffin aren't #1 and #2, the list is a failure.

EDIT: #1 and #4 it looks like. Given that Steve Earle and Emmylou Harris were #2 and #3, I'm willing to let it slide. :aok

3. terrapin

terrapin Member

You're pretty damn close.................

4. BedroomRockStar01

I'm a little disappointed this thread isn't getting more traffic. I own half the albums on that list and they're all great. I'll probably pick up the second half now.

Southeastern is a career-defining moment imo, and what I'm hoping sets the tone for his future work.

5. terrapin

terrapin Member

Yes, well you gotta remember this IS TGP.............:dunno If you haven't heard the Buddy Miller and Jim Lauderdale CD I HIGHLY recommend it!

6. Dereksslide

Dereksslide Member

Well that's just extended my Christmas list...

7. giltgitguy

giltgitguy Member

I guess they're not considered Americana, (but Holly Williams is?) but I'm including Ashley Monroe and Kacey Musgraves 2013 albums in my top albums of the year, along with most of the others on that list. Also, I wonder why Patty Griffin's "Silver Bell" isn't mentioned-it was just recently released.

8. terrapin

terrapin Member

Good question? Too new to get into the poll?

9. chervokas

chervokas Member

I really like Jason Isbell. I liked him with Drive-By Truckers, liked his first two records, loved Here We Rest. But I never much warmed up to Southeastern. I know it was a really personal record for him, and I thought there were some really great songs on there -- "Songs That She Sang in the Shower," "Elephant" and "Live Oak" are pretty amazing writing. But I never fell in love with the rest of the record.

I did like the Ashley Monroe and Kasey Musgraves records someone else mentioned and I think if they don't belong in the Americana ranks, something's wrong with the people doing the categorizing. Also the Caitlin Rose record, The Stand-In, was excellent.

10. Pablomago

Pablomago Member

They're a couple of my favorite guitarists, but how the f*** are Richard Thompson and Mark Knopfler "Americana?"

Lots of good music on that list.

11. chervokas

chervokas Member

Well, "Americana," has become, as much as anything, a marketing category, but music that falls into it according to the likes of the Americana Music Association, shares certain characteristics -- it's typically a sort of white-made, folky rock that makes widespread use Anglo-Appalachian harmonies and song structures and often the instrumentation of traditional country music. The Thompson album -- which was produced by Americana super producer/guitarist Buddy Miller and released on Americana label New West -- was definitely sold to the Americana audience by New West (Thompson toured as the opening act for Emmylou Harris and Rodney Crowell), and Thompson himself has been honored by the American Music Association in the past, to me it's, lyrically, way too English to be something I'd call "Americana." And Thompson did seem to try to distance himself from country and Americana in every interview (in a typically Thompsonesque bit of undermining his label's attempt to market 'em, shooting himself in the foot really). I haven't heard the Knopfler record but certainly his 2006 album with Emmylou Harris was a work of "Americana" (as was, say, Robert Planet and Alison Krauss' album). I'm not sure you have to be American to play Americana (witness a certain band of mostly Canadians who all but established the genre).

12. weshunter

weshunter Supporting Member

thanks for the post - theres some stuff on there i haven't heard and will be getting

13. mr tom

mr tom Member

Dale Watson is at 67 and Wood Brothers at 73, while Tedeschi Trucks are at 14 and Mumford 15? This list is as inane as all the other lists we gripe about. I'd bitch about James Hunter and Gary Clark Jr placing low on the list, but they don't belong in an Americana discussion, anyway.

14. mr tom

mr tom Member

Never mind. The list reflects reported airplay, not any sort of subjective measure of taste, so it's no more an authoritative or credible measure than, say, the AMAs in another field.

15. todaystomorrow

todaystomorrow Member

I like that list but I personally would've included John Moreland - In The Throes.... Because if that's not Americana then I don't want Americana.

Seriously it's an amazing album in the same league as Isbell.... any fan of American songwriting needs to listen to that album ...it's tops for me

Last edited: Dec 12, 2013
  16. phillygtr

phillygtr Member

I would add Darrell Scott & Tim O'Brien's "Memories and Moments" to that.

17. BedroomRockStar01

I'm mad at myself for not even knowing about this one. Thanks for the heads up. I saw Mr. Scott play with Band of Joy a few years back. I think I was the only one in the crowd freaking out about him, Buddy Miller, and Patty Griffin, while everyone else was going nuts for Robert Plant.

18. Lewguitar

Lewguitar Member

Yep...but when I read AMERICANA I know what they're offering and that's a good thing because I'll check it out. If they call it COUNTRY or FOLK or ACOUSTIC or SINGER SONGWRITER I probably won't...not unless it's an artist I'm already familiar with.

19. NewbyRock023

NewbyRock023 Member

There were 10 Americana records in 2013?
    :stir

20. coldfingaz

coldfingaz Member

Missing is The Sadies' Internal Sounds

Sent from my iPhone