• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Top 10 Progressive Jazz Rock Drummers

Lef T

Found this video by accident.
I've seen Billy Cobham with Mahavishnu.
Possibly the most powerful drummer I've ever seen.
Saw Lenny White with RTF and he was also a knockout.
Love Vinnie.
A couple of drummers on this video I've never heard of.
Always something new to learn.

Zandalf

I don't remember
But can they transpose?!....

All great and I've seen/heard a bunch. How 'bout Billy Cobham with Mahavishnu in 1971. Wow. But, while I imagine there's more than a few who could be in this group, I gotta mention Bill Bruford. I never saw any other drummer who had such complete independence of movement between his hands & feet. One of the greats....

Jim Soloway

I think it's really unfortunate that they used so many solos in the video. I think that's not a very good way of judging a drummer. I've seen performances form several of those drummers that I preferred where they playing in what I consider a more musical setting but of those particular performances Omar Hakim is the only one who really made me sit up and pay attention. I'd like to have seen Wolfgang Huffier on the list but I guess he's too subdued for these sorts of things.

Last edited:

Phletch

I think it's really unfortunate that they used so many solos in the video. I think that's not a very good way of judging a drummer.
I agree. It was like the equivalent of a shred-fest for drummers. I know all those cats have impeccable time and musicality. Like you, I think it would have been nice to have seen them showcased in that way, but that might be too boring for the drooling mouth-breathers who want to be impressed with chops only.

I'll nominate a few not on that list. First, Tony Williams. At the behest of my guitar teach back in the early 80s I went to a Tony Williams drum clinic. It really opened my 16 year old eyes and ears to how musical a great drummer really is.

Larry Carlton had high praise for Jeff Porcaro who, obviously along with being in Toto, played a lot with LC back in the late70s-early 80s.

And Dennis Chambers. I loved what he brought to the table in Scofield's Blue Matter-era band.

b_goatman

Gold Supporting Member
(In no particular order):
Bill Bruford
Pierre Moerlen
Chad Wackerman
Cobham
Vinnie C.
Omar Hakim
Chester Thompson
Tony Williams
Kurt Covington
Bozzio

drewl

Saw Cobham do a drum expo in a small music store in the mid 80's
Incredible!

Bozzio's work with Zappa is insane.

beanbass

Steve Smith was one of the most musical drummers I'd ever seen, playing a NAMM show with Frank Gambale, Tom Coster, & Tim Landers in 1991 or 92.

rwe333

Silver Supporting Member
Tony Williams
Billy Kilson
Steve Jordan
Jon Christiansen
Bill Bruford
Gary Husband
Jack Dejohnette
Dennis Chambers
Pierre van der Linden
Chris Daddy Dave