top 3 mics for guitar amp?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by riffmeister, Jan 22, 2006.

1. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

I've been using SM57's.

What are your favorite three mics for electric guitar amp? And how are they different than an SM57?

2. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

My wife and son got me a Sennheiser MD421 for my birthday... I've tried it a few times. So far I like it marginally more than the 57 on "twang"-type clean tone, but I mean just a fraction. In a mix you can't hear that fraction. I'll continue to experiment with it, but so far it hasn't knocked me on my ass.

My son uses the 421 and a Royer R-121. I like the Royer a lot, but as yet I haven't felt a compelling need to have that open, smooth sound in any of my songs. The close-miked sound just seems to fit so well, every time.

3. ricoh

ricoh Member

Riff...............a 57 works well ................Senn 421 pretty close like Michael reported.I have also used a AT 4033 large diaphram condensor for some decent results
    I recently got a ribbon mic. I liked the sound alot. It was different than any other type of mic I have used. It seemed to breath -w- the volume fluctuations of my picking attack

Rico

4. mccreadyisgod

mccreadyisgod Member

Top 3? In order of preference:

1. Royer 121 ribbon
    2. Sennheiser 421
    3. Shure SM57

Honorable mention goes to the Beta 52, which usually gets the stuff a 57 leaves behind. I love combining a 57 and a Beta 52 on guitar amps... so long as there aren't a lot of other instruments in the mix. If you have drums, bass, and one guitar... it's a killer combo. I used this method on a project where I panned the two mics apart and used about a 60/40 mix of 57/B52 and got a huge sound out of a Fender Blues DeVille 410.

5. neve1073

neve1073 Member

royer 121
    beyer m88
    beyer m201
    sm57
    coles ribbons (4038 or 4040)

choose three.

6. Kiwi

Kiwi Silver Supporting Member

Would owners of the Senn 609 and/or 906 comment on their sound and utility, compared to SM57s? Thanks -

Kiwi

7. riffmeister

hmmm

Royer 121 ribbon seems like it might be interesting

thanks for the suggestions

any others?

8. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

whatever else is lying around. ;)

but seriously, i've used a radio shack PZM "mic", if you could call it that, a few feet back from an amp for some killer howlin' wolf like tones.

9. vladorg

vladorg Supporting Member

I have a e906 and a few SM57's and I much prefer the e906.I would not say it's better,it's different and to my ears and for the type of sound I'm after it sounds more appropriate.To me it sounds smoother and fuller than the SM57 plus it has a 3-position mini switch to determine the EQ curve.It's akeeper in my book along with the SM57.

Vlad

10. teefus

teefus Silver Supporting Member

i have an original senn black e609 (not to be confused with the $90 silver series MF sells now) and i like it much better than a 57. this was the first mic i thought didn't color the amp overly. i like knowing that the sound i hear on stage is the sound that goes to the mixing board and doesn't need any eq'ing or messing with. i don't know if this model became the e906 or if it is even available any more.

11. riffmeister

D'OH! Well outside my budget, though!

Can you say.......Sennheiser?? :D

12. stratofied

stratofied Member

Hard to beat the 57 in it's price range. The Audix I-5 is similar to the SM57 with a little more open top end. The e609 is another flavor in that price range and the next step up (MD421) is three time the price.

13. scottl

scottl Member

EV is sending me some mics to try out. Their new Raven sounds uber cool! I will report my findings. I am doing A/B clips as well!

Scott

14. Mojoman

Mojoman Supporting Member

Hey....
    For guitar I like the following:
    1) The Royer 121/122 are AMAZING microphones for electric.
    2) I am also really enjoying my Audix i5 I just got.....like a 57, but just a little nicer on some amps;
    3) The good old sm57.......always works, usually better than the rest, well except the Royer.

15. stratofied

stratofied Member

Sounds interesting, I'll be watching for them.:AOK

16. scottl

scottl Member

Well, the mics are not here yet! The Raven is like $150 btw! Based on the chatter I hear, it may be the bomb....

I am getting a Cardinal and RE20 as well.

On another note, Groove Tubes is sending both a FET and Tube Condenser mic to me on loan to demo.

Good time to be mic shopping....

17. cocheese

cocheese Supporting Member

Sennheiser 421
    Shure 57
    Royer R-122

I have a Beta 57A and it sounds pretty harsh; more brittle than a 57. The 421 I've been using lately is very nice. I defeinitely prefer it to the tone of a 57. My bro swears by the Royer/57 or 421/57 combo in his studio.

18. µ¿ z3®ø™

µ¿ z3®ø™ Member

top 3?

royer R121
    wes dooley R92
    manley stereo gold reference micing an amp array that's gathered around in a 3-5 foot radius. MONSTROUS!!!

honourable mention to the ubiquitous SM57.
    it can be used to nail down the mic stands for above mentioned transducers.

19. justicetones

justicetones Member

I use the Sennheiser 609, SM57, Octava MK012, and Studio Projects C3 on amps. Not all at the same time but usually two at a time, very ocassionally three at a time.

I like the 609. Especially for live. Just hang it over the amp just off the center of the speaker and you are done. If your amp tone is good then the mic should sound close. They are a little fuller sound than a SM57 when I use them.

SM57, a guitar cab staple. Add a little room mic and they really sound great.

Octava, and Studio Projects. Good for certain sounds. Not all.

20. vanborgen

vanborgen Member

Kiwi,

The Sennheiser 906 is indeed smoother and fuller sounding. It does not seem to have the upper-mid peak that gives the 57 it's signature sound. To my ears, it is a fuller, more balanced sound with a bit more low end represented. I'm a big fan of the 906...and it works well on toms, too!!